Sean Connery’s James Bond a rapist says current director

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 9:05 pm

Sean Connery's James Bond 'basically rapes a woman,' says 'No Time to Die' director

Quote:
The director of the latest James Bond movie has said that Sean Connery's version of the character "basically rapes a woman" in one of the franchise's earlier films.

Cary Fukunaga - who helmed the upcoming "No Time to Die" - made the claim during a profile with The Hollywood Reporter in which he referenced a scene in the 1965 bond film "Thunderball" where Connery's Bond meets a nurse played by Molly Peters and forcibly kisses her when she rejects his advances.

And in a later scene, Connery's Bond suggests that he will not disclose information about Peters's character that could cost her her job if she sleeps with him. "I suppose my silence could have a price," he says.

Speaking about the scene, Fukunaga said: "Is it 'Thunderball' or 'Goldfinger' where, like, basically Sean Connery's character rapes a woman? She's like 'No, no, no,' and he's like, 'Yes, yes, yes.'"

Fukunaga later adds that a scene like that "wouldn't fly today."

While speaking about the evolution of the Bond character, film producer Barbara Broccoli, who has worked on every Bond film since 1995, including Fukunaga's latest, said: "I think people are coming around - with some kicking and screaming - to accepting that stuff is no longer acceptable. Thank goodness. Bond is a character who was written in 1952, and the first film [Dr No] came out in 1962."

She added: "He's got a long history, and the history of the past is very different to the way he is being portrayed now."

Cary Fukunaga's "No Time to Die" is also set to be Daniel Craig's last outing as Bond.

the 44-year-old director told THR that with "No Time to Die" he has done his part to help push the character of 007 forward.

"You can't change Bond overnight into a different person," he's said. "But you can definitely change the world around him and the way he has to function in that world."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:50 pm

So I should be looking forward to James Bond: Licensed to Cancel?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:28 am

Our literary and cinematic characters change with the times. Someday, someone probably will find fault with the Daniel Craig Bond.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 8:58 am

In trying to be Wokier Than Thou by attacking Sean Connery's Bond the man may as well be telling the fan base not to come see this new movie.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 12:19 am

Yeah it was probably was a pretty good time to be a straight white male

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2021, 4:39 am

Sean Connery is dead. He was 007! I think it's rude to attack him when he is dead.

AliceCooper

30 Sep 2021, 4:40 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
In trying to be Wokier Than Thou by attacking Sean Connery's Bond the man may as well be telling the fan base not to come see this new movie.

I'm part Scottish, so I'm pondering it. Sir Sean Connery was the man!

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:40 am

AliceCooper wrote:
Sean Connery is dead. He was 007! I think it's rude to attack him when he is dead.

They are talking about fictional character, not Sean Connery.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:47 am

Director did the right thing, people tend to rewatch and scrutinize old movies when new installment of any franchise released. Now that he already acknowledged some questionable episodes, someone else can't dig this s**t up and use this narrative to attack the new movie.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:04 pm

I think what the man is saying in the article is that the Bond movies from the Sean Connery Era
all glorify "sexual assault culture" and should be no longer be viewed the same way now as they
were viewed back upon their initial releases.

AliceCooper

01 Oct 2021, 3:31 am

badRobot wrote:
AliceCooper wrote:

They are talking about fictional character, not Sean Connery.

I know but, when he died, the SJW people were attacking his films. And they are still doing that and, his 007 films were better than Craigs!

Connery is 007 like Reeve is Superman!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 1:32 pm

badRobot wrote:
Director did the right thing, people tend to rewatch and scrutinize old movies when new installment of any franchise released. Now that he already acknowledged some questionable episodes, someone else can't dig this s**t up and use this narrative to attack the new movie.

They will attack it anyway.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 3:06 pm

Well those films were a product of their time. Connery's Bond also slapped women, made racist quips and put on makeup to disguise himself as japanese (hilariously unconvincing). It's good to review these things but above all you should emphasise how it's great we're learning from them and have gotten better with time.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:23 pm

James Bond is supposed to be cool above all else; being woke is the opposite of being cool. Actually, actively anti woke Bond would not only be truer to the character, but would likely do really well commercially, as the vast majority of people hate this stuff and delight in seeing it given the proverbial (or literal) finger.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:41 pm

The problem is the fan base can't distinguish real life from fiction/fantasy.

I always remember an Australian actress back in the 1970s who was in a popular TV series, When she slept with somebody else's husband in one episode, the actress told a news reporter in an interview that for a period of time she couldn't leave her home because of the verbal abuse she got from other women in public.

It would not surprise me that men watching Connery "grab p****" might have thought it normalises that type of behaviour.
There are very impressionable people in the general public.

AliceCooper

03 Oct 2021, 4:14 am

Dox47 wrote:
James Bond is supposed to be cool above all else; being woke is the opposite of being cool. Actually, actively anti woke Bond would not only be truer to the character, but would likely do really well commercially, as the vast majority of people hate this stuff and delight in seeing it given the proverbial (or literal) finger.

I agree!