Page 8 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 5:53 pm

Oh. All right.

I'll have to do it later, though. I'm not allowed YouTube at my job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:14 pm

^^^you're working late hours?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:18 pm

I work at a library in the morning part-time. In the courts from afternoon to night, full-time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:27 pm

ah so, sounds like a good gig for ya.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:30 pm

It’s not bad. I’m retiring from the second job in 15 months.

I was able to look at the video, using my phone.

I’ll have to do more research on “Safe Haven.”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:38 pm

i think you'll find plenty o'things to do in your retirement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:39 pm

You're right!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:47 pm

Axeman wrote:
Attacks like this are on the rise...

Police can't do much about it because they got nothing to lose. :skull:

I haven't gone thru the thread.

Did anyone else notice it was only white people that that mentally disturbed black guy was attacking? :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Was it actually hot? How exactly do you keep the contents of the bucket hot while searching for a suitable target? :lol:

In your rumbling tummy, silly. :mrgreen:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm

Axeman wrote:
Only downside I can see with it is that many would think they have it made with this and would have no incentive to get out of the shelter. If the NY thing is offered it has to be with time limits and proof of progress to something better. Many of these people do just want to sit around doing drugs and this would just give them a warm place to sleep.

I'm assuming its a housing first policy? I don't have time for a video, but I do know the program. Since the goal is to protect neighborhoods, curing the addiction isn't really the top priority. However, funny thing when people's basic needs are met: they get more interested in figuring out how to improve their own lives.

I'd rather not put a time table on that; people have to really choose change for it to stick.

There will always be a small percentage that isn't willing or able to change no matter what we offer, but maybe we can keep them from being a nuisance to the communities they live in. Sometimes we have to pick our battles.

We'll see how it goes. So far, data is promising, but it will be a while before we really know the longer term effects. It's important not to lock any policy into stone until a clear story emerges from data.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Dox47 wrote:
I don't know about hot diarrhea in particular, but we've got tons of this going on in Seattle, it's been out of control for a while and the city won't do anything about it, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen vigilante action yet.

When you get the gang together, and are willing to pay for the air flight, I'm in. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
unlike a lot of other folks on WP, i do worry about what the man upstairs thinks of me.

If he came knocking at my door, asking for forgiveness, I'd give him the bird. :mrgreen:
Too little.
Too late. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

i prefer this bird-

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 10:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
these days, the problem is that many homeless take drugs because they have little else to ease their minds in that situation which is intractable for them due to the fact that they've all been marginalized, surplussed, their skills are not up to the requirements of employers, and to get those skills takes money they don't have any hope of getting any time soon. the only way out of my homelessness was an equally desperate army that needed lots of new bulletstoppers [the vietnam-era GIs were retiring en masse and leaving duty stations largely unmanned]. if not for the army, i likely might have remained homeless and ended up like poor ol' walter [WP's former "ASS-P"]. but not everybody is cut out for army life, we lost a lot of recruits in the first few weeks of basic training. lord knows what happened to 'em after that. there were other ex-homeless in my unit, there for the 3 hots and a cot and hopefully commercially useful job training after they get out.

I'm surprised you were able to handle Army life. I think it would be a living Hell to someone on the spectrum.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 10:03 pm

Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
these days, the problem is that many homeless take drugs because they have little else to ease their minds in that situation which is intractable for them due to the fact that they've all been marginalized, surplussed, their skills are not up to the requirements of employers, and to get those skills takes money they don't have any hope of getting any time soon. the only way out of my homelessness was an equally desperate army that needed lots of new bulletstoppers [the vietnam-era GIs were retiring en masse and leaving duty stations largely unmanned]. if not for the army, i likely might have remained homeless and ended up like poor ol' walter [WP's former "ASS-P"]. but not everybody is cut out for army life, we lost a lot of recruits in the first few weeks of basic training. lord knows what happened to 'em after that. there were other ex-homeless in my unit, there for the 3 hots and a cot and hopefully commercially useful job training after they get out.

I'm surprised you were able to handle Army life. I think it would be a living Hell to someone on the spectrum.

believe you me, it was something like being an indentured servant on the good days, a jail inmate on the bad days. i put up with it for the term of my enlistment, 4 years. if i were cagier with the recruiters who signed me up, i coulda been out in half the time, my fellow GIs thought i was an idiot with my 4-year enlistment when they all had 2 or 3 years.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 10:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Was it actually hot? How exactly do you keep the contents of the bucket hot while searching for a suitable target? :lol:

In your rumbling tummy, silly. :mrgreen:

We have a lot of skunks where I live. I hate it.