Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

cirnotarkovsky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2021, 6:41 am

Opening this thread to discuss the relationship between Schizoid Personality Disorder (SzPD) and ASD.

I've been diagnosed with ASD two years ago and while this diagnosis has helped me expand my self-perception and find more coping mechanisms, there for me is a large chunk of my issues that isn't being adressed by ASD and its comorbids.

I have an utter inability to form meaningful relationships with others, experience very low social drive, chronic (social) anhedonia, a strong feeling of disconnectedness between me and the physical world (which I interpret as derealisation/depersonalisation) and almost ultradian changes in perception. As a child I had a very vivid imagination and was a persistent daydreamer. Sadly, time this ability vanished as my depression became unmanageable.

Usually I don't find psychiatric diagnoses to be well translatable to real-world contexts, and though while not formally diagnosed with SzPD, I must say that the symptom criteria strongly resonate with me and my condition. It has never been even suggested as a possibility by clinicians and I don't see most autist to specifically experience the aforementioned symptoms.

For reference, most diagnoses I've received so far were (treatment-resistant) Major Depressive Disorder, ASD, ADD, Social Anxiety Disorder and a subform of PTSD, though this one hasn't been affirmed by other clinicians.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:36 am

I've been diagnosed with both HFA and Schizoid PD. HFA was first, in late 2004, while Schizoid PD was in 2013. I had a hospital stay in 2013, where they diagnosed me at first with Borderline Personality Disorder (probably because of the self harm) but then I had a very long testing session/interview and the results from that were strongly Schizoid PD.

It's confusing because they say that autistics would like friends but are unsure of how to go about it, but Schizoids don't care if they have friends or not. I go through cycles of one or the other.

Schizoid PD is said to be under-diagnosed because people with it don't often seek diagnosis.

Lots of Schizoids are asexual. I certainly am.

Can't think of anything else right now. Wikipedia's page about Schizoid PD is quite good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:14 am

when i was in kindergarten and first grade, my school shrink said in his notes that i was likely schizoid/schizotypal [different school shrinks]. only as an adult was i further dx'ed with AS.