Stimulus + memory --> Cringe (Big time!!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

2edgesword
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 27 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

25 Sep 2021, 8:12 am

It can be a song that I heard shortly after an embarrassing situation or it can be an expression that someone I dislike used to use, and as soon as I hear it I immediately feel oblivious to my surroundings, I get transported back in space and time to that moment where I felt embarrassed or when I lost an opportunity.

I immediately force my eyes shut and clench my fists. I may bite my hand or utter an obscenity. As soon as I curse, the vulgarity "wakes me up" and I am once again aware of the surroundings, which may now contain someone totally perplexed by my erratic "crazy" behaviour.

Later this situation itself becomes the embarrassing moment, and I cringe when I remember the time when I was caught remembering an even older moment and cringing at it.

This is causing me very, very hard time at work and at home and ruining my life.

I am very high functioning but it is things like this that make people suspect there is something wrong with me.

What should I do? Please help me...



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,925
Location: temperate zone

25 Sep 2021, 9:39 am

I can relate. Dont do that exact thing. But I do do things like talk to myself. Just try not to get emotional about memories while on the job. Tell yourslelf t wait until quitting time -to pick up on that train of thought- and think about something else (like about that Three Stooges video you saw on Utube the other day) while on the job.



2edgesword
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 27 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

27 Sep 2021, 12:53 am

How common is it for aspies to have this? Or maybe this is not related to being an Aspie but is rather a different ailment I have? I don't get to choose. It just happens. And me cursing (which can be quite obscene) is the worst bit because I do it audibly and people notice sometimes.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,747
Location: the island of defective toy santas

27 Sep 2021, 1:17 am

i wonder if this has anything to do with Tourette's? when i was your age i useta go off on reveries until an external force slapped me back into reality. and i used to have tics that i could not control. am thankful that i seem to have aged out of that.



2edgesword
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 27 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

28 Sep 2021, 8:10 am

I am positive I'm an Aspie, but how do I know if I have Tourette?



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,747
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Sep 2021, 1:39 am

2edgesword wrote:
I am positive I'm an Aspie, but how do I know if I have Tourette?

Usually self-diagnosable
It involves uncontrollable repetitive movements or unwanted sounds (tics), such as repeatedly blinking the eyes, shrugging shoulders, or blurting out offensive words.
People may experience:
Behavioral: compulsive behavior, impulsivity, hyperactivity, meaningless repetition of own words, nonsense word repetition, repetitive movements, swearing uncontrollably, or lack of restraint
Muscular: tic, difficulty with bodily movements, increased muscle activity, involuntary movements, involuntary muscle contraction, or jerking muscle spasms
Mood: anxiety or apprehension
Also common: coughing, eyelid twitching, frequent throat clearing, learning disability, repetitive blinking of eyes, or stuttering
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Below are the criteria that a doctor or other health care professional will use to diagnose TS or other Tic Disorders. There is no test to confirm the diagnosis of Tic Disorders, but in some cases, tests may be necessary to rule out other conditions.
Tourette Syndrome (TS), also known as Tourette’s Disorder: 1) At least 2 motor tics and at least 1 vocal (phonic) tic have been present, not necessarily at the same time. 2) Tics may wax and wane in frequency but have occurred for more than 1 year. 3) Tics started to appear before the age of 18. 4) Tics are not caused by the use of a substance or other medical condition.
*Persistent (Chronic) Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder: Either motor tics OR vocal tics have been present for more than 1 year; cannot be both motor and vocal tics.
*Provisional Tic Disorder: Motor and/or vocal tics have been present for less than 1 year, and have not met the criteria for TS, persistent (chronic) motor, or vocal tic disorder.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
by the above definition, a lot of people seem to be afflicted with it.



carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,006

29 Sep 2021, 2:32 am

2edgesword wrote:
It can be a song that I heard shortly after an embarrassing situation or it can be an expression that someone I dislike used to use, and as soon as I hear it I immediately feel oblivious to my surroundings, I get transported back in space and time to that moment where I felt embarrassed or when I lost an opportunity.

I immediately force my eyes shut and clench my fists. I may bite my hand or utter an obscenity. As soon as I curse, the vulgarity "wakes me up" and I am once again aware of the surroundings, which may now contain someone totally perplexed by my erratic "crazy" behaviour.

Later this situation itself becomes the embarrassing moment, and I cringe when I remember the time when I was caught remembering an even older moment and cringing at it.

This is causing me very, very hard time at work and at home and ruining my life.

I am very high functioning but it is things like this that make people suspect there is something wrong with me.

What should I do? Please help me...


What your describing is normal humans have memories linked to outside sensory input like a song reminding you of an ex partner for example.

This is not autism but a normal part of brain functioning.

It’s your reaction to it that is the problem


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


2edgesword
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 27 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 6

29 Sep 2021, 9:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
I am positive I'm an Aspie, but how do I know if I have Tourette?

Usually self-diagnosable
It involves uncontrollable repetitive movements or unwanted sounds (tics), such as repeatedly blinking the eyes, shrugging shoulders, or blurting out offensive words.
People may experience:
Behavioral: compulsive behavior, impulsivity, hyperactivity, meaningless repetition of own words, nonsense word repetition, repetitive movements, swearing uncontrollably, or lack of restraint
Muscular: tic, difficulty with bodily movements, increased muscle activity, involuntary movements, involuntary muscle contraction, or jerking muscle spasms
Mood: anxiety or apprehension
Also common: coughing, eyelid twitching, frequent throat clearing, learning disability, repetitive blinking of eyes, or stuttering
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Below are the criteria that a doctor or other health care professional will use to diagnose TS or other Tic Disorders. There is no test to confirm the diagnosis of Tic Disorders, but in some cases, tests may be necessary to rule out other conditions.
Tourette Syndrome (TS), also known as Tourette’s Disorder: 1) At least 2 motor tics and at least 1 vocal (phonic) tic have been present, not necessarily at the same time. 2) Tics may wax and wane in frequency but have occurred for more than 1 year. 3) Tics started to appear before the age of 18. 4) Tics are not caused by the use of a substance or other medical condition.
*Persistent (Chronic) Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder: Either motor tics OR vocal tics have been present for more than 1 year; cannot be both motor and vocal tics.
*Provisional Tic Disorder: Motor and/or vocal tics have been present for less than 1 year, and have not met the criteria for TS, persistent (chronic) motor, or vocal tic disorder.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
by the above definition, a lot of people seem to be afflicted with it.


Thanks for the elaboration. Based on what you wrote I do not think I have Tourette's