What do you do when someone hugs you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2021, 11:46 am

I either awkwardly stand like a statue or lightly put one arm around the person. Hugging has never come naturally to me.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:48 am

I do the same thing, and either just stand there or put one arm around them. I don't mind hugs but they're just odd to participate in.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:51 am

Freeze. Tense. Pull back slightly. Exit scene.

If I know them, they might be lucky enough to get a quick pat on the shoulder before I recoil.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:54 am

Depends.

If it's a stranger and feel like it, only one arm over.
If it's a stranger and I don't feel like it, I'd just tense if I fail to stop them.

If it's someone I knew and I feel like it, nothing.
If it's someone I knew and I don't feel like it, I'd squirm out of their reach.

If it's someone I knew and actually like, regardless, I'd squeeze them hard. :skull:
And if I feel like it, I'd cling at them until they want out.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:06 pm

I can do hugging, but it's mostly immitation. I don't like it and it's not natural for me.

/Mats

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:08 pm

The only hugs I've ever truly enjoyed were my dad's great big bear hugs.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm

Depends who's doing the hugging. One of the loveliest hugs I ever received was from someone in Florida in a store(a shopkeeper who was very arty). We bonded over art and SEN. Totally out of the blue.

I've been hugged by an ex-F-I-L who made me feel VERY uncomfortable. It didn't help that he commented as well.

The best hugs are by those who have no hidden agenda ...

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 1:08 pm

I only really like hugging super close friends. In school I had this friend who used to hug me every time we saw each other, and that was the nicest hugging experience I've had so far. I do voluntarily hug my pets all the time, but that's different.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 1:12 pm

hug them back

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 2:47 pm

Strangers (unexpectedly, from behind) : 8O Freeze up with my shoulders raised and my arms drawn to the side. I feel on high alert.

Strangers (from the front) : :| I step back with my right foot, briefly cross my arms in an X position, lower my arms to the side and bring my right foot back to where it was. This seems to an effective way of communicating that I don't want to be touched, as I tend to form the words either too late or the words are ignored. People usually listen to this gesture though when I use it.

Acquaintances (from the front): present my hand and suggest a handshake instead, or if it's unexpected then I'll awkwardly hug them and pat them on the back and try to get out of it as soon as possible. I may also use the X gesture if I know they're coming in for a hug.

A crush (from the front) : temporarily forget English.

Friends : It really depends. Some friends I've known for years and I'm still not comfortable with them hugging me, but with other friends I was comfortable with physical contact fairly early on in the friendship.

Family : Gladly hug them back.

I don't know how quite to explain it, but some people just feel safe from the get-go (granted, first impressions can be misleading). They have a certain nature about them that puts me at ease.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 3:12 pm

A few years ago my bride and I went into a restaurant a few miles from our home. An exuberant friend of my bride happened to already be in that same restaurant. I think my bride said I "knew" the gal but I'd only seen her once or twice and I have face blindness so...I was completely caught off guard when we entered the restaurant and a strange (literally and figuratively) woman ran up to me and gave me a huge hug.

8O

I think I stood still but I was sort of confused so I don't really know. We ended up joining the woman and her daughter for supper so I had to wait until we left the restaurant to ask "Who was that?!?!"

I later gave my bride the following advice: The next time we go into a restaurant and she's there and you think she might tackle me again, you probably want to stand where you can watch my face. You'll probably think it's hilarious.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 3:35 pm

I hug them back, or if their arms are around me where I can't move my arms to hug them back I just vocalise a hug (like if they say "nice to see you" while hugging me I say "aw, nice to see you too" or something like that, in a sort of affectionate tone of voice).

I do like hugging.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm

If it is a person I know well and feel safe with, I hug back.

My dog likes nice firm hugs, so when she asks, I'll hug her firmly, she also give her version of hugs and I enjoy those.

I work with students/kids and even if I don't know them well, children hugging me is okay. Hugs from my ND kids- super welcome and special. If an adult I didn't know well did the same though- they'd get a stiff arm to the chest and a don't touch me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 8:13 pm

When I get hugged, I hug back, focussing on using my hands to hold them as I would a baby, except for size. I have not had a decent hug in a decade, and I really miss them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm

Freeze and be really uncomfotable

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 2:45 am

If it's someone I like and who knows me well enough to know how to hug me without tickling me, I hug back.

If it's someone I like and feel basically safe with, but who doesn't know how to hug me without tickling me, I flinch and then give instructions on how to hug me without tickling me.

Luckily it's been a long while since someone I didn't like or didn't feel basically safe with tried to hug me, and I don't remember exactly how I handled that.

When I went for my autism assessment a few years ago and collected statements from cousins about my weird childhood behaviors, I was told that, when I was a little kid, I used to freeze when people hugged me.

I appreciate the newly-emerging ethic of asking people if they want a hug before hugging them.