Do you feel lack of interest in things ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DekoFromSpace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2021, 3:54 pm

Since when I was young I could never really feel interested on anything like activities, hobbyes, study, etc.
I feel like a wander as I cant find any objective and goals in life. For my whole life I just been consuming entreteriment, like games and television because it is the easyest way to kill time. I aways felt like I dont have space in life and sometimes it's hard to get out of bed because I know it's just going to be another empty day.

It is normal for Asperger's to feel lack of interest in life ?
Do you think people needs a objective ?

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

I think that the most prominent part of my autism is lack of interests.
I do have "special interests" though.

/Mats

DekoFromSpace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2021, 4:52 pm

mohsart wrote:
I think that the most prominent part of my autism is lack of interests.
I do have "special interests" though.

/Mats

Would you mind if I ask you about your special interests ? how did you met them, and did you strugle to do so ?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

This is new. Oftentimes people on WP think that interests are for autistic people only and that nothing interests NTs apart from sport and celebrities maybe.

So, no, lacking interests isn't part of Asperger's. Maybe depression.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:24 pm

That's the way I felt since 13

Detached apathetic dissociated

38 now

All things equal it is better to be interested in something than nothing, but not being interested in anything ain't no catastrophe

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 3:24 am

DekoFromSpace wrote:
Since when I was young I could never really feel interested on anything like activities, hobbyes, study, etc.
I feel like a wander as I cant find any objective and goals in life. For my whole life I just been consuming entreteriment, like games and television because it is the easyest way to kill time. I aways felt like I dont have space in life and sometimes it's hard to get out of bed because I know it's just going to be another empty day.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Questions: (1) How old were you when you were diagnosed? (2) If you were diagnosed as a young child, were you subjected to ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis)?

(I ask because, according to stuff I've read by ABA survivors, one of the side-effects of ABA can a fear of expressing or pursuing enjoyment of anything, out of fear that the thing one enjoys will be taken away and held hostage as a "reward.")

DekoFromSpace wrote:

As far as I can tell, no. Many of us are quite the opposite. In my own life, I've been driven by a series of consuming passions.

DekoFromSpace wrote:

Certainly, depending on the nature of the objective, having objectives can be very helpful in improving one's life.

DekoFromSpace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2021, 9:08 am

Questions: (1) How old were you when you were diagnosed? (2) If you were diagnosed as a young child, were you subjected to ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis)?

(I ask because, according to stuff I've read by ABA survivors, one of the side-effects of ABA can a fear of expressing or pursuing enjoyment of anything, out of fear that the thing one enjoys will be taken away and held hostage as a "reward.")

I've been diagnosed with 19 after a suicide atempt.

If lacking interests isn't part of Asperger's, it is probably depression. I had a tought childhood as my parents thought all I needed was a good beating to stop being weird and act and learn like a normal children.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 2:27 pm

DekoFromSpace wrote:
Would you mind if I ask you about your special interests ? how did you met them, and did you strugle to do so ?

I don't mind but I don't really see the point.
If you must know it's cartoons and boats, I got into them before I could read. I later developed an interest in computers, especially network configurations and security. I also developed a strong interest in the board game go.
All of these interests are things that I have worked with professionaly.

/Mats

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm

DekoFromSpace wrote:

Hello there...I got diagnosed late on in life as well and it was also after going through quite a tough time.

I never had special interests as a young person. I just kind of drifted. Got into bad company etc.

I'm nearly 50 years old now and have only just recently found something that I really enjoy doing and it does make me feel really happy as well. I've started doing interior design and upcycling old furniture. I absolutely love it.

It's never too late to find a passion for something. Keep going.