Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 9:02 pm

I love blueberries, they are very healthy, but they are too sweet for me. I’m wondering if they are too sweet for people here?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 9:33 am

I like blueberries in something else, such as muffins or pies.

Earlier this year my bride was going to make a grilled cheese sandwich for me. She had some Wensleydale cheese with Blueberries in the kitchen so I asked for a grilled cheese sandwich made with that. She was very hesitant but finally relented.

It was delicious!

In years past she had been willing to add garlic to grilled cheese sandwiches when she made them. She balked at adding garlic when the cheese was Wensleydale cheese with Blueberries. It took a lot of persistence on my part to finally get her to add garlic to that.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!

I now consider that to be a real treat! :)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

You find fresh blueberries too sweet?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:09 pm

I do not think fresh blueberries are very sweet--only slightly sweet. However, I find baked goods that are blueberry flavor to be WAY TOO SWEET!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I like blueberries in something else, such as muffins or pies.

Earlier this year my bride was going to make a grilled cheese sandwich for me. She had some Wensleydale cheese with Blueberries in the kitchen so I asked for a grilled cheese sandwich made with that. She was very hesitant but finally relented.
It was delicious!

In years past she had been willing to add garlic to grilled cheese sandwiches when she made them. She balked at adding garlic when the cheese was Wensleydale cheese with Blueberries. It took a lot of persistence on my part to finally get her to add garlic to that.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!

I now consider that to be a real treat! :)

I find fresh blueberries with mascarpone delicious. I also tried making blueberry ketchup once, which wasn't bad. I prefer tomato ketchup.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:25 pm

Flown wrote:
I do not think fresh blueberries are very sweet--only slightly sweet. However, I find baked goods that are blueberry flavor to be WAY TOO SWEET!

I find blueberry muffins too sweet, too.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:39 pm

smudge wrote:
I find fresh blueberries with mascarpone delicious.

It sounds like it would be delicious.

smudge wrote:
I also tried making blueberry ketchup once, which wasn't bad. I prefer tomato ketchup.

Blueberry ketchup?! Um. I'm confused. Runny blueberry preserves? With berry lumps?

What did you try the "blueberry ketchup" on? I'll guess it could go on, for instance, pancakes?

"Blueberry ketchup" used where tomato ketchup is normally used is an..."interesting" idea. If I was going to put "blueberry ketchup" in a sandwich or on a hotdog, I'm not sure what I would use instead of mustard.

smudge wrote:
I find blueberry muffins too sweet, too.

I've got a "sweet tooth" and I think blueberry muffins are wonderful.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm

^ Blueberry ketchup is tangy and vinegary like tomato ketchup, so you have it with savoury things. It's actually very easy to make, you just stick all the ingredients in a saucepan, and it breaks down into a ketchup. I can't imagine pouring it over pancakes, unless they were the non-sweet, savoury kind topped with cheese, artichokes, peppers, bacon, chicken etc. I think they're the best pancakes.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 2:36 pm

Yes, they are too sweet for me too. And I don't like the gritty feeling they leave in the mouth. It is too abrasive for me. I prefer raspberries instead.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 3:21 pm

smudge wrote:
^ Blueberry ketchup is tangy and vinegary like tomato ketchup, so you have it with savoury things. It's actually very easy to make, you just stick all the ingredients in a saucepan, and it breaks down into a ketchup. I can't imagine pouring it over pancakes, unless they were the non-sweet, savoury kind topped with cheese, artichokes, peppers, bacon, chicken etc. I think they're the best pancakes.
So, where/when would someone be likely to use Blueberry ketchup? What does it taste good on?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 3:24 pm

Oh, the same things you'd use tomato ketchup for. Chips (fries), etc. Here's a recipe like the one I used:

https://www.seriouseats.com/sauced-blue ... ent-recipe

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm

Wow. WP is educational! Thanks!

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 1:32 am

My flatmate has started eating blueberries from Aldi. She likes the raspberries from there too. They are quite a healthy snack.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2021, 6:15 am

Yes. I eat a combination of frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries with my unsweetened yogurt every night. I like the taste and sweetness. But I have to be mindful of how many of them I eat at once.
I have long had an addiction to sugar (and wheat) and I have learned how to recognize the cravings from it. I originally planned to eat a whole cup of berries with my yogurt but it triggered my addiction cravings for sugar. I started "wanting" more even though I didn't want to "want" it. So now I eat just 3/4 cup of berries and I'm usually okay.

I could probably eat 1/2 cup of berries at two different times of the day to get a full cup but I haven't worked out how to do that yet. The berries are in the freezer and I'm not at home for 2 of my 4 meals/day. It's a logistics problem.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:13 pm

Blueberries are quite nice with slices of banana, served in evaporated milk, I find.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Blueberries are quite nice with slices of banana, served in evaporated milk, I find.

Now that's a treat I haven't heard of before. Do you just pour the evaporated milk on top?