Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 6:16 am

What do you think of this ? ... a cat that knows when you'll die
I think it's a funny story ... interesting though:

Quote:
A US cat with an apparent ability to sense when a nursing home's residents are about to die is baffling doctors.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6917113.stm

:?

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:32 am

I saw that story in my local paper too. I think it's great that he can let people know to come say goodbye. It said in our coverage that Oscar is a fairly aloof, unfriendly cat but sits vigil with the dying so they aren't alone in their last hours, and that he takes the job very seriously.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 9:06 am

OK, here's another spooky cat story for you. We have three cats, one female and two male. Four years ago I had a pretty serious hospital operation and after I came home I needed plenty of bedrest for a couple of months or so.

The female cat set up home at the end of the bed and stood guard for seven weeks. The only periods she left me were quick visits to the litterbox and some food and the rest of the time she kept the other cats at bay. The first time the doctor came to visit she arched her back and then spat at him and even my girlfriend had to run the gauntlet once or twice. Somehow she knew I was ill so she decided that her guard keeping duties were required.

Ed Almos

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:01 am

It is a well known phenomena that when a cat enters a room full of people, the will go for the person who does not like cats. That is because the person who does not like cats, is the only one in the room who does not look at the cat, the cat senses eye contact as threatening and heads for the cat phobic...I have seen this happen myself to my poor aunt who is terrified of cats.

I read the article, sick people don't stroke or look at Oscar, who is described as an unfriendly/shy cat. He does not allow residents to pet him. He is simply going to people he finds warm and at the same time safe. Unfortunately, this coincides with a person being very ill.

In one case I read; Oscar enters a room with two people. One says hello to Oscar and looks at him, he ignores her. The other person is too sick to say hello to Oscar, she has not spoken for 3 days and so he sleeps on her bed.

I expect there will be other cases like this reported shortly.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2007, 11:32 am

Actually someone just e-mailed me this same exact article. This is something!

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2007, 12:24 pm

There is some sense in the eye contact thing.
When trying to approach stray cats, the best way to get their attemtion is to ignore them.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 12:30 pm

Personally, I think it's kind of creepy. One step from having a guy in a black robe and scythe show up and stand over your bed.

18:33. Press 'Return'

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jul 2007, 11:30 pm

A psychic cat? haha that article is great.

My cats can sense when I am feeling ill, it could be something to do with body temperature. As when animals or humans are in their last hours of life, their body temperature tends to drop a little, and gradually drops lower and lower until they die.

When you have a fever for example, you have a higher than normal body temperature even though you may feel cold. My cats can sense when I have a fever.

That article is great though. I wonder if it IS something to do with body temperature? Or is the cat REALLY psychic? hahaha

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 8:57 am

I thought it was a great story.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 12:48 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
Personally, I think it's kind of creepy. One step from having a guy in a black robe and scythe show up and stand over your bed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the guy who's been studying this was on the Glenn Beck show last night and was asked if this creeps out the people whose rooms Oscar goes to, and the guy (Dr Duca or something like that) said no, this is an end-stage dementia ward and the patients are mentally too far gone to understand anything.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 3:05 pm

When I am stressed my cats come and calm me down. That is the feature I love about cats! But I don't know how I would feel if Oscar came a sat down beside me. 8O I think I would freak out!
I agree with the doctor that is a scent that the cat can pick up on.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 6:22 am

Dad hated cats but when he was convalescing at home from a bout of pneumonia when I was little, our cat lay next to his legs and kept him warm. Normally, cats were strictly forbidden from being on the bed but dad was too ill to protest. I've also found when I was sick that my cats will spend more time on the bed.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 11:08 am

One article I saw regarding this pointed out that often the dying patients will be given electric blankets to make them more comfrotable, so maybe the cat is just a self-serving supercilious little sod, and getting a free warm?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:16 pm

I've some bad news. Oscar is dead now. I read his dead body was found in that nursery home. People were afraid of Oscar and someone of them decided to murder the animal.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 7:50 am

Irulan wrote:
I've some bad news. Oscar is dead now. I read his dead body was found in that nursery home. People were afraid of Oscar and someone of them decided to murder the animal.
How horrible! :cry:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon