Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:22 pm

I do sometimes think a lot of the ridiculous stuff that some people are offended by may be sometimes made up by the media to talk and argue about. I saw something about the fact that the star wars character Jabba the Hutt is offensive because he is morbidly fat. I'm no star wars fan but the character is fictional and I don't think was maybe in any way based on stereotype on someone or something as fat as that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm

Nothing can be offensive unless a person makes it out to be offensive. I think that too many people rely on political correctness today.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:41 pm

Everything offends someone.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2021, 5:03 am

I think political correctness has gone too far sometimes. I do like offensive humor like South Park & Family Guy & comedy songs much more offensive than Weird Al thou I do really like Al as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:22 am

It seems to me like precious lil "people" love to say something is "offensive" or "disrespectful" or "racist", because that is a Trump card (trump card), and they are always morally superior to the other party

However anything could get misunderstood. The actor has only one definition. Everything else is a miscommunication

Anyone could correctly label anything as "offensive" or "disrespectful". You can't measure respect

A panhandler was swearing at drivers that did not give him cash. He could say it is "disrespectful" to not give him cash

Slippery slope

Someone at the bus stop said "n***a I don't need you to gummies a couple of dollars". He acted like someone offended him

The bus driver told someone to put on a mask. The bus driver did not tell me to put on a mask. The passenger was like "this n***a not wearing a mask. You racist?". ("This n***a" meant me). But the I was sitting in the driver's blindspot. The passenger was not in the driver's blindspot.

Furthermore both precious lil "people" said "n***a". The driver did not say "n***a"

:roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:30 am

Yes, the western world is becoming too soft on what people can and can't say. I try not to get offended by everything, like the South Park episode titled ''Ass Burgers'' doesn't offend me. I just watch it, laugh, and move on with my life. But some groups of people get too offended to the point where the episode has to be banned. It's a shame people can't just seperate real life from cartoons or TV shows but they don't.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 12:07 pm

Sometimes shows get canceled because one of the main actors does something inappropriate in real-life that is completely separate from the show they were on. It may be sexual assault or posting something racist on their social media or something else that is bad that gets noticed by the media. Then suddenly every single project that actor was ever involved with is treated as evil & very few networks would ever want to air reruns or their movies. If it was a good show before, it should still be a good show. LOTS of other people were involved with those shows & projects than just that one actor & just because one person did something bad independent of those projects, it should NOT mean that those projects were horrible as well. We should NOT let one bad apple ruin the whole bunch & we should NOT throw the baby out with the bathwater. Also there are plenty of politicians & political news reporters who do much worse while in office or on their shows & they still keep their jobs even thou they are currently using their power & influence to do real harm. Shouldn't we be focused on stopping the latter instead :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 2:47 pm

If I had to stop and think about whether or not anything I spoke or wrote would offend anyone for any reason whatsoever, I would never speak or write anything ever again.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
If I had to stop and think about whether or not anything I spoke or wrote would offend anyone for any reason whatsoever, I would never speak or write anything ever again.
Same here. I've gotten in trouble a lot at school when I was little for being offensive &/or rude when I was not trying to be & I was not wanting to upset anybody. Some of the time it was due to my Aspergers causing me to be more direct & straightforward & not being tactful. Other times it was due to double standards & me being singled out. If a bully was saying things to me with the intent of being mean, the teachers would consider it friendly teasing but if I said something trying to joke around with someone & I thought it was a silly juvenile joke, the teachers automatically considered it very bad. One time a principle asked me why I did something to someone & I said I didn't. He then asked well why did the teacher say you did. & I responded saying because he told her I did. Then the principle called me a smart-alec. People often said I should be lawyer when they were frustrated with me. How the f#ck am I supposed to respond to wrongful accusations without sounding critical of the authority or evidence that is accusing me :?:

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 3:30 am

Fiction does not exist in a vacuum, it represents real-life in some way and reflects the culture that it was made in and carries its baggage. What I mean by that is that fiction can be offensive and insensitive and people shouldn't be too quick to dismiss people who bring it up.

That said, it's often taken too far (I think your example is rather stupid), epecially in recent years. I feel people look for things to get upset about so they can feel like they're progressive and pro-active while they're really not. But saying everything depicted in fiction is just fine because it's not real is not something you should do. Media can influence, normalise and perpetuate all kinds of ideas, and it's not a bad thing to watch out it's not the wrong ideas.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:05 am

Kerch wrote:
I feel people look for things to get upset about so they can feel like they're progressive and pro-active while they're really not.
I agree. Also plenty of politicians & businesses pretend to act very upset by things when they really are not bothered because they want to show the public the appearance of them being caring & sensitive & to distract the public from the real causes of the problems & to avoid themselves being blamed for the harm they are doing. Basically it's a giant PR stunt

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 11:34 am

The solar system contains eight billion people

There are plenty of minority groups

Anyone could correctly claim that anything is offensive, "disrespectful", "rude"

Anyone could say anything

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 4:01 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
The solar system contains eight billion people

There are plenty of minority groups

Anyone could correctly claim that anything is offensive, "disrespectful", "rude"

Anyone could say anything
It's the Rule 34 of the universe. Whatever you think of, somebody somewhere already thought it was offensive :mrgreen: :jester:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:00 am

It's Millennials and Gen Z people that find everything offensive. We Gen X people just don't give a rat's tail. :roll:

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm

The problem is less that people become offended by inocuous things, it is more that they, and increasingly society at large, expect some sort of restitution for their state of being offended.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 4:38 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's Millennials and Gen Z people that find everything offensive. We Gen X people just don't give a rat's tail. :roll:

ok boomer

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う