The Manhunt for Brian Laundrie Continues

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

FBI agents are now using personal items of Brian Laundrie to create a DNA profile.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-agents-take-brian-laundrie-s-personal-items-dna-matching-n1280159

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:26 pm

This is really sad. Aussie girls are very adventurous and are bit too friendly with strangers when travelling overseas. We have lost a few over the years.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't get why it took them so long to put out an arrest warrant for that sh*tbag. Like I was surprised that did not happen immediately once her death was confirmed to be a homicide with how blaringly obvious it was he's the one who did it.

Or really it should have even before that, beings he came back without her and he was the only person she was with during that trip. I don't see how he just remained a person of interest so long and not a main suspect.

They know it's a homicide but they're still testing to determine the actual cause of death (e.g., what the murderer did to kill her). That's a second round of testing which takes much longer. All they know right now is that the "manner of death" is homicide as opposed to "accident" or "suicide". For example she wasn't pushed off a cliff because that could be an accident or suicide. She didn't sustain a blow or gunshot to the front of her head, because that could be accident or suicide as well. Something is clearly differentiating this death as homicide, but they're still determining more about the way it happened.

After they determine the cause of death they will still need to find forensic evidence proving he did it. At this point it's obvious but the evidence would all be considered circumstantial. If they arrested him now with circumstantial evidence (not hard forensic proof), they wouldn't have probable cause for arrest and he'd have to be released. You can't just arrest someone on likelihood or suspicion before the facts are gathered.

It sucks. But at least they have authority to arrest his sorry arse for theft, and they can hold him if they get him. Then when the forensics are done, they can issue murder charges or whatever else this SOB deserves.

Also, she wasn't declared dead until 19th of September. They couldn't arrest him or consider him a murder suspect prior to knowing she was dead or prior to the coroner saying it was a homicide on the 21st.

By then he was long gone.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:44 pm

This kind of reminds me of another recent case
https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 06badb7174

Why are young girls so trusting of these psychos?

Last edited by cyberdad on 27 Sep 2021, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't get why it took them so long to put out an arrest warrant for that sh*tbag. Like I was surprised that did not happen immediately once her death was confirmed to be a homicide with how blaringly obvious it was he's the one who did it.

Or really it should have even before that, beings he came back without her and he was the only person she was with during that trip. I don't see how he just remained a person of interest so long and not a main suspect.

They know it's a homicide but they're still testing to determine the actual cause of death (e.g., what the murderer did to kill her). That's a second round of testing which takes much longer. All they know right now is that the "manner of death" is homicide as opposed to "accident" or "suicide". For example she wasn't pushed off a cliff because that could be an accident or suicide. She didn't sustain a blow or gunshot to the front of her head, because that could be accident or suicide as well. Something is clearly differentiating this death as homicide, but they're still determining more about the way it happened.

After they determine the cause of death they will still need to find forensic evidence proving he did it. At this point it's obvious but the evidence would all be considered circumstantial. If they arrested him now with circumstantial evidence (not hard forensic proof), they wouldn't have probable cause for arrest and he'd have to be released. You can't just arrest someone on likelihood or suspicion before the facts are gathered.

It sucks. But at least they have authority to arrest his sorry arse for theft, and they can hold him if they get him. Then when the forensics are done, they can issue murder charges or whatever else this SOB deserves.

Also, she wasn't declared dead until 19th of September. They couldn't arrest him or consider him a murder suspect prior to knowing she was dead or prior to the coroner saying it was a homicide on the 21st.

By then he was long gone.

That makes sense, so it is actually good they were able to put a warrant out for the card misuse because they don't have the solid proof needed to convict him of the murder but at least it is something they can get him on so he's at least in custody.

I do find some of all that legal stuff a bit confusing, so thanks for explaining it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I do find some of all that legal stuff a bit confusing, so thanks for explaining it.

No problem. Glad I could help. Unfortunately I've learned the hard way about loopholes with domestic violence and police incompetence. Most of what we hear in the media about victims' rights and domestic abuse advocacy is bullshitttt. There's very little understanding of trauma bond behaviour. I say that with respect to male and female victims of relationship violence, narcissistic abuse, and psychopathy. I'm not suggesting it's all about women's rights because men do experience relationship abuse from gay partners or sometimes from women. In that case, it's even harder to be taken seriously.

All I can say is that if anyone is afraid of their partner, physically, mentally or psychologically, or if you feel dependent on someone who treats you poorly, please do your best to seek help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Well they don't necessarily act like a psycho initially a lot of times.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:

It's not only young girls. Gabby was a woman, and older women fall pray as well as men. Narcissists and gas lighters are master manipulators who play to people's lowest weakness. They love bomb. They gaslight by slowly having the victim doubt their own judgment. They give love, and they take it away. The victim feels so disempowered that they are vulnerable and hungry for more love or protection from the psychopath. For example after a huge fight the narcissist will apologise or say that the victim was wrong for perceiving them as bad. It's done very subtly.

Many times the victim is dependent on the other person, financially. Sometimes there are children involved and the kids are also threatened / gaslighted to their faces or to the victim, who will do their best to play nice and protect them. The monsters alienate people from their friends and families, slowly over time. They might convince the victim that their friends are crazy, or their parents are unreasonable, or just get the victim wrapped up in a new lifestyle so they don't want to go back.

Many times the victims have sought help over and over again to no avail, only be told they're crazy. It's hard to be taken seriously when there might not be bruises or physical evidence to prove it. Women in particular have a hard time being taken seriously because if they cry (like I did), (like Gabby did), they are considered hysterical. Then the psychopath will punish them for seeking help, so they're too scared to try again. Then slowly when the crisis subsides, the psychopath will tell the victim more lies and make them more dependent. Victims don't know which way is up. They don't know right from wrong. Their defences are broken. Their moral compass is skewed by repetitions of abuse and adoration. It's mind fuckkkery, pure and simple.

Gabby showed all the signs of a narcissistic abuse victim. She lived with him and his family in Florida for two years, away from her friends and family from New York. They went on this road trip where witnesses saw him repeatedly taking her phone (means of communication / getting help / posting to followers), and hitting her. She owned the van but he was trying to steal it and had threatened to leave her at the side of the road. She had to attack him to get into the van she owned. Then the police told her she was the aggressor because he had tiny cuts on his skin, from her trying to get her own phone and her own van. She had to climb in the window of the van so he wouldn't leave without her. She told this to the cops but all they said in the report was "she wanted to stay with him" and "she was afraid of being separated". No kidding. I would be too. She was dependent on him for survival, to get back home alive.

Laundrie convinced Gabby she was crazy and it was all her fault for having (undiagnosed) OCD. She parroted this to the police so she wouldn't be abandoned at the side of the road, across multiple state lines from her parents, without a phone or even her ID. He kept a straight face and smiled, making friends with the cops. He acted like a master manipulator.

As it stands they called her unstable because she was crying and had acted in self-defence. Having anxiety does not make a person crazy. Having OCD does not make a person crazy. But that's how they treated her, even though she had no diagnoses of either disorder. One of the man cops told Laundrie that his own wife was also crazy because of anxiety, so he knew what it was like. He enabled him. Then they cited the event as a "mental health crisis" on Gabby's part, put Laundrie up in a hotel, left Gabby in the van which Laundrie was fighting so hard to steal, and allowed Gabby to go back into this nightmare the next day or whenever they reunited. You can be sure she was terrified to call home for help. He was watching her phone, or he wouldn't have tried to steal it. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept Gabby's phone for the whole two weeks after they reunited, and she never got to use it again. Even if she got her phone back, they were together 24/7 so she had no privacy to call anyone without him hearing. If she did get a chance to call for help, what the hell was she going to say? "Hi, I was stopped by police for being mentally unstable and for hurting Brian. I have to go to court in Salt Lake City to have this incident cleared from public record. But he's actually bad. But I can't tell you that or he'll kill me, because now the cops believe him" ?

If it was really a "mental health crisis" that means it was a CRISIS. Those cops needed to get mental health support for her, and separate her from the source of her crisis. They needed to call a counsellor or her parents, or someone safe. They needed to arrange an intervention.

The travesty of justice blows my mind.

Trauma bond info (similar to Stockholm Syndrome):

https://www.healthline.com/health/menta ... ma-bonding

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 3:44 am

Sorry 31 years of age is still young for me....

I wonder if the police should be better trained to watch for the signs?. Her being continually returned to Laundrie reminds me when one of Jeffrey Dahmer's male victims tried to report him to the police. The cops unbelievably returned the victim (a 14yr old Lao teen) to Dahmer who killed and ate him.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 7:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sorry 31 years of age is still young for me....

I wonder if the police should be better trained to watch for the signs?. Her being continually returned to Laundrie reminds me when one of Jeffrey Dahmer's male victims tried to report him to the police. The cops unbelievably returned the victim (a 14yr old Lao teen) to Dahmer who killed and ate him.

I read the link you shared about Angela Tramonte. That's very sad. The main difference is that she had just met that man. I'm not certain there was any type of trauma bond, even though he seems like an inconsiderate player.

Regarding interpersonal abuse I agree the police should be better trained. The Utah police who stopped Gabby's van contravened state law, which states that police must make an arrest or issue a citation when they have probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has been committed. They had probable cause with eyewitness accounts and both passengers' testimony. Unfortunately they broke the law by allowing this couple to continue their trip, and this incompetence led to the murder of Gabby Petito.

Domestic abuse helplines also need better training. There is little understanding of psychological abuse toward children, men, women, and disabled people. During my ordeal I spent over an hour talking to a victims' helpline in the midst of a crisis. I also went to the police for protection. Police allowed the person back into my life several times. Sometimes I was hysterical, so they thought I had mental health issues. Sometimes I went calmly but they still dismissed me, saying I was too unemotional for the story to be true. Don't forget I'm autistic and I have a flat affect. None of that mattered because I couldn't portray the right emotion at the right time, to jump through their hoops. When I didn't have bruises and injuries but described violence and exploitation, they said I needed to present with visible injuries. When I did have bruises and injuries they said I may have self-inflicted them, in response to being told I needed physical proof. I was hit with "Why are you with this person?" over and over, despite the fact I was held against my will, threatened with death, exploited, robbed, and a victim of identity theft. I wasn't even in a "relationship" with this person. When I later tried to retrieve the phone recordings from the victims' helpline, I was told they don't record phone calls on weekends because they're short staffed. Seriously. I had spoken to someone for an hour. They had even spoken to the perp, who made some confessions on that phone call, but they didn't record it because they were underfunded on weekends? There was no record of the call. I could go on about criminal trials and the inequity of a courtroom, especially against disabled or neurodivergent witnesses.

Needless to say, the entire system needs to be reworked and retrained. It's unconscionable how human rights are violated by the people who are supposed to protect us.

I'd also urge training for all people about spotting the signs of narcissistic abuse, gaslighting, sociopathy, psychopathy, and self-defence. My daughter is just two years older than Ms Petito was. I could go on about what she experienced in a long term relationship but I wouldn't want to breach her privacy. The bottom line is that she went missing for six months at age 17. Campus and local police wouldn't look for her because she was "almost 18" and they considered her to be an adult, despite the fact she wasn't, and despite the fact she was at risk with her narcissistic boyfriend and his family. His parents refused to answer my calls or tell me what was going on, just like the Laundries. Meanwhile my daughter was brainwashed to run away with this douchebag, block all calls or texts, and vanish.

The whole thing is so triggering I can barely sleep. I just hope some good comes of Gabby's story, because it's bringing attention to the signs of abuse, and the systemic flaws which make all people so vulnerable to monsters and sociopaths.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 7:30 pm

Petito Family Lawyer to Brian Laundrie: "Turn Yourself In"

https://news.yahoo.com/gabby-petito-parents-brian-laundrie-turn-yourself-in-182559086.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 11:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
[ My daughter is just two years older than Ms Petito was. I could go on about what she experienced in a long term relationship but I wouldn't want to breach her privacy. The bottom line is that she went missing for six months at age 17. Campus and local police wouldn't look for her because she was "almost 18" and they considered her to be an adult, despite the fact she wasn't, and despite the fact she was at risk with her narcissistic boyfriend and his family. His parents refused to answer my calls or tell me what was going on, just like the Laundries. Meanwhile my daughter was brainwashed to run away with this douchebag, block all calls or texts, and vanish.

The whole thing is so triggering I can barely sleep. I just hope some good comes of Gabby's story, because it's bringing attention to the signs of abuse, and the systemic flaws which make all people so vulnerable to monsters and sociopaths.

OMG! that must have been terrifying! what happened in the end?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 6:52 pm

The FBI Looking at a New Phone Purchased by Brian Laundrie

https://www.yourbasin.com/news/fbi-looking-at-new-phone-purchased-by-brian-laundrie-reviewing-surveillance-video-from-campground/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:06 am

Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie's notebook in which he admits to killing Gabby Petito

Quote:
The attorney for the family of Brian Laundrie on Friday released eight pages from Laundrie's notebook that was found near his remains in Florida in October last year, according to a news release obtained by CNN affiliate WINK.

In the notebook, Laundrie wrote in part, "I'm sorry to everyone this will affect. Gabby was the love of my life but I know adored by many. I'm so very sorry to her family, because I love them."
On another page, he wrote about Petito being injured and trying to help her.

"I don't know the extent of Gabby's ingerys (sic) only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her," he wrote.

Petito's cause of death was ruled to be strangulation and the manner of death was homicide, Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue said.

Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino said he released the notebook pages after a meeting with the FBI and an attorney for Petito's family where they collected the personal belongings of Petito and Laundrie.

On the last page released, Laundrie wrote, "I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that annimals (sic) may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy."

The last words on the page, written with a different pen than the previous ones said, "Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie's notebook in which he admits to killing Gabby Petito
Quote:
The attorney for the family of Brian Laundrie on Friday released eight pages from Laundrie's notebook that was found near his remains in Florida in October last year, according to a news release obtained by CNN affiliate WINK.

In the notebook, Laundrie wrote in part, "I'm sorry to everyone this will affect. Gabby was the love of my life but I know adored by many. I'm so very sorry to her family, because I love them."
On another page, he wrote about Petito being injured and trying to help her.

"I don't know the extent of Gabby's ingerys (sic) only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her," he wrote.

Petito's cause of death was ruled to be strangulation and the manner of death was homicide, Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue said.

Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino said he released the notebook pages after a meeting with the FBI and an attorney for Petito's family where they collected the personal belongings of Petito and Laundrie.

On the last page released, Laundrie wrote, "I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that annimals (sic) may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy."

The last words on the page, written with a different pen than the previous ones said, "Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter."

Why do some men do this? they kill their wives/partners and even children. Couldn't he have quietly blown his brains out and left poor Gaby alone?