Is it common for some aspies to hate dating?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2021, 9:38 pm

I think I'm aromantic because I'm a woman who finds men attractive but doesn't want to date them. I would hate dating. I know I'm heterosexual but do fit in the definition of aromatic? And are asexual/aromatic aspies common?
I'm so confused and I have no confidence.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:07 pm

Would you like to have an intimate relationship with some sufficiently compatible person, if only you could get into the relationship by some other, more natural means than today's standard dating rituals?

There are people, such as myself, who have avoided "dating," for the most part, but nevertheless found other ways to get into intimate relationships.

So is it just "dating" per se that turns you off, or are you creeped out by the very idea of an intimate relationship, even with an ideally compatible person?

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2021, 11:09 pm

Both dating and intimate relationships turn me off. I find sex who be disgusting for me and relationships are too complicated. I haven't dated or been in a relationship in a decade and a half. I know that's not going to change.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 9:32 am

I am similar. Relationships and intimacy turn me off and i haven't felt attracted to someone since forever. I am not sure if i am unable to feel attraction or Just too different from other people that i cannot feel any closeness.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

The traditional concept of dating--going out somewhere with someone you barely know and trying to get to know each other better with lots of banter and interview-like questions--really turns me off. But I like having an intimate, sexual relationship with the right person---almost certainly another eccentric misfit.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 12:06 am

It depends on how you define "dating"....

If it's just the phase between [being completely alone] and [being married with 2.5 kids, mortgage, etc] then I think dating is fine.

You have to weed out the crazies somehow

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 3:25 am

I hate the concept of dating but I do like relationships. When I'm with someone I hate the thought that other people exist. I like companionship and cohabitation, doing everyday things. Not going on dates.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2021, 11:11 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I hate the concept of dating but I do like relationships. When I'm with someone I hate the thought that other people exist. I like companionship and cohabitation, doing everyday things. Not going on dates.
Same here. When I was single I had a very strong need to be in a romantic relationship but the whole dating thing freaked me out & I was very clueless about what or how to do it. I never even done the dating thing. I was literally never able to get a single date ever. I really wished I coulda got a serious girlfriend or wife by some other method like an arranged marriage or the mail-order bride thing. I met my current girlfriend & both my exes on online forums(the latter two were this one) & the typical dating thing was replaced by the LDR thing which very luckily & thankfully worked out with my current girlfriend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 12:41 am

That’s asexuality.