Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:52 am

The troubling gender gap in higher education by Cathy Young for Newsday
Behind a paywall

Quote:
Are America’s young men giving up on higher education? A recent Wall Street Journal report pointing out that college males now trail their female peers "by record levels" — women made up nearly 60% of the student population in spring 2021 — has raised new concerns. Some blame male alienation and personal struggles, others campus politics. In fact, it’s a complicated issue, and it’s not always about males falling behind. But in many ways, this gender gap does point to the challenge of how to address disadvantage in a group our dominant discourse labels "privileged."

Women first began overtaking men in college 40 years ago, earning the majority of bachelor’s degrees every year since 1981. By the 1990s, many educators were also starting to notice the tendency for girls to be more motivated and ambitious among working-class whites.

Partly, the educational patterns are related to occupational ones. Well-paying, stable middle-class jobs held primarily by women, such as nursing or teaching (and, increasingly, even secretarial work), require at least college degrees; men of the same social class have traditionally held well-paying blue-collar jobs, from unionized factory work to construction and plumbing, that don’t require college.

While some men without a college diploma do very well in the tech sector, as entrepreneurs or as workers, these are not typical cases. Many find themselves adrift, sporadically employed, or in low-skill, low-level jobs, their predicament exacerbated by substance abuse and health problems. The evidence that a college diploma in modern society is a key to a better life is overwhelming.

The college gap can also lead to tensions between the sexes in families and in society. Years ago, a state university psychology professor told me she was seeing many instances in which married working-class women who earned a college diploma felt they’d "outgrown" their blue-collar husbands, eventually leading to marriage breakdown. (Discrepancies between attitudes toward gender roles were also implicated.) Meanwhile, on a political level, the tendency is for college-educated women to be a solid progressive constituency while non-college-educated men are a strong conservative base. This estrangement is not healthy.

Some suggest that modern campus progressivism, which tends to treat men (especially white men) as oppressors, contributes to male flight. The evidence is mixed. Elite schools, generally the progressive vanguard, are the least female-dominated; yet the gap is largest in private liberal arts colleges, which also tend to be hyper-progressive.

More broadly, there are the decadeslong efforts to boost girls and young women in schools and colleges while programs for young men are often suspect as serving the advantaged. Even today, there is more interest in encouraging female students in science and technology than in remedying male shortfalls in other fields. The first step toward addressing a problem is to admit that there’s a problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:00 am

What're they doing with their liberal arts degrees?

Barista at Starbucks?

Why Your Barista Probably Has a College Degree
https://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/why-t ... ation.html

Be the hero of your life.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:32 am

I got deep into this issue more than a decade ago, when my son was in middle school. Somewhere on the parenting board I probably referenced the book I had read at the time: "The Trouble with Boys" by Peg Tyre.

I could see all the factors she cited in the education structure my son was growing up in.

By trying to make education more fair to girls, we overshot and made it difficult for boys to thrive. This is a problem for society on multiple levels.

It was a solid read. I recommend it. I am very sad that schools and parents have not been taking heed. I couldn't get people to care back then. Sounds like they still don't.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:33 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

Barista at Starbucks?

Who said they are getting liberal arts degrees?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:45 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Barista at Starbucks?

The STEM gender gap is a known phenomena.

"men vastly outnumber women majoring in most STEM fields in college"
https://www.aauw.org/resources/research/the-stem-gap/

Be the hero of your life.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Barista at Starbucks?

The STEM gender gap is a known phenomena.

"men vastly outnumber women majoring in most STEM fields in college"
https://www.aauw.org/resources/research/the-stem-gap/

There are more types of fields and study than just STEM and liberal arts.

I was a business major, myself. Not STEM. Not liberal arts. Extremely employable.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 2:46 pm

I have a 4 year degree in education. I thought this would solve my problems concerning employment. Instead I was still viewed as an autistic person with a college degree. I was still viewed as someone who was book-smart but socially dumb. I taught for awhile; this did not go well although I did use my degree to get a quality engineering job in a steel mill.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 2:58 pm

I took up engineering because I love to tinker and build things, which do not normally involve continuous social interactions.  Meetings and planning sessions are barely tolerable, and participating in employee screening only slightly more so.

Standing in front of a class -- even just a few co-workers -- to teach new procedures and concepts is painful, but I get through them well enough.  Thank G^D for Power-Point!

My point is that for best results, people might be better off to build on their strengths rather than challenge their weaknesses.  If you like working with people, then go into people-oriented professions (HASS).  If you are mechanically or technically inclined, then go into the sciences (STEM).

If you do not know what you are good at, then go into a more vague profession like philosophy, liberal arts, or general science.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:35 pm

There are also some traditionally male professions that do earn a decent income but don't require a college degree. Examples: electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics.

Problem: These and similar jobs don't appeal to very many women, nor are there any similarly decent-paying traditionally female jobs that don't require a college degree.

This results in a culture gap between men in blue-collar professions (even decent paying ones) and any women they are likely to meet who are earning a comparable income.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:47 pm

As somebody who works in the higher education sector and works with students trying to get into University in Australia I call BS on this.

While there is a gender gap in some sectors there is still a lack of female students in STEM subjects. I know the people who run software engineering and theoretical math in one local university here and there are zero female students in the cohort that entered their courses in 2021.

Zero....

Young men also have many more options in the workforce than young women in terms of trades/services/apprenticeships and many many men are choosing other options (other than University) such as working in mining industry here in Australia where you can earn more money than doctors.

Often these same men come back after 10 years and enrol in a degree as mature age students once they have saved enough for a home.