Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 3:29 am

George Frayne, who led the country-rock band Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, died this past sunday (September 26, 2021), at age 77. The announcement of his passing was posted on his Facebook page by his wife, Sue Casanova. The cause of death was not revealed, though it’s believed to be cancer; the couple resided in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, circa 1971 (sitting, l. to r.): Andy Stein, Billy C. Farlow; (standing, l. to r.): Bill Kirchen, Lance Dickerson, Bruce Barlow, John Tichy, Bobby Black, George “Commander Cody” Frayne

right now he's sayin' to st. peter, "beat me daddy, eight to the bar!"

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 5:24 am

They performed at my college and we all danced.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 5:42 am

Mom and I marveled at hearing the humor, and the picking skills, in his "Hot Rod Lincoln" on the radio when I was a teen. Bought the seven inch single.

Decades later I saw him live at a local bar. When he did Hot Rod Lincoln he would lengthen the break of the song by singing "Chuck Berry passed us on the road", and he play a Chuck Berry riff, and then sing "then Buddy Holly passed me on the road", and he would do a Buddy Holly sample, and "then Bo Diddley...", and so on with a roster of other roots rockers, before returning to the main musical them and main storyline ... about how "the cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 28 Sep 2021, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 6:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Mom and I bonded over hearing his "Hot Rod Lincoln" on the radio when I was a teen. Bought the seven inch single.

Decades later I saw him live at a local bar. When he did Hot Rod Lincoln he would lengthen the break of the song by singing "Chuck Berry passed us on the road", and he play a Chuck Berry riff, and then sing "then Buddy Holly passed me on the road", and he would do a Buddy Holly sample, and "then Bo Diddley...", and so on with a roster of other roots rockers, before returning to the main musical them and main storyline ... about how "the cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln".

i would have loved to have heard that version.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 8:43 am

Jim Varney (RIP) covered "Hot Rod Lincoln" very well as the closing theme of the Beverly Hillbillies movie (1993).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2021, 1:17 am

When I heard the name Commander Cody I thought of Star Wars. I thought the person who died was his actor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 1:23 am

^^^you are close to the substance of the etymology of commander cody who could his and his group's name from a 1950s tv sci-fi program of a similar name.