Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 6:33 pm

I am a clutter hoarder and I can't face sorting through it. I still have lots of clothes and books and ornaments at my mum's house that they keep telling me to sort out whenever I go there, but I just can't face it. I don't know myself whether I want to keep it or not. I want to keep it because I enjoy getting old stuff out to look at every few years, but at the same time I don't want too much clutter. It's all in boxes but the boxes are taking up a lot of room and I have nowhere to store them in my apartment, and my parents don't want it there cluttering up the spare room (they want to turn the spare room, which is my old bedroom, into a dining-room). I suggested they put it in the attic but they don't agree.
I have a lot of clutter in the apartment too, and as I am into art and fashion I want to buy more art stuff and clothes but my boyfriend objects and says I need to get rid of stuff before I buy any more stuff, and he's right.

I just wish there was like a vortex into another demension where you can put "don't want but don't want to get rid of" clutter and it doesn't exist or take up any room until you put your hand through it and pull it out, then when you're ready you can throw it back into the vortex for another 10 years until you feel nostalgic again.

Anyone else have the same dilemma?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 6:53 pm

mee too. the root of it is underperforming higher judgment/execution functions in my noggin. i could spend hours or even days trying to decide where to put something.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 5:01 am

Sure.

As someone who lives in a rather limited space without any extra room... And likes toying the ideas around arranging boxes.

There's under the bed. On a closet 'floor'. Under certain seats. Inside a sofa. An entire section of a wall.
Make an entire table or shelf out of said boxes. Or at least use said boxes to elevate stuff.

The least of used/touched, the least accessible place to go to.

It's easy for me to get rid of things.
But I wish my mom does the same -- hers is just mostly clothes really. It clutters when she's particularly very busy with no time to clean up.

Except were just not that rich.
Not rich enough to end up being a real hoarder with heavier clutter and lacking space. But the most frequent form is clothing.

Since she won't listen and kept giving me clothes... I'd just had to make do with mine.
By making craft materials out of the clothes I no longer wear.

Or...
... To let go of the idea of nostalgia behind.
Which I'm sure never easy for any sentimental person.

Or bend the idea of nostalgia by making it as compact possible. Which is much harder to people with EF issues.
Especially if the nostalgia is based over touching and smelling the object itself than through writings and pictures.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:14 am

Me too! One of the most annoying first world problems for sure... I still have lots of stuff, mostly old toys that I'm too fond of to just throw away or to take to a recycling shop, at my parents' place. They don't nag at me about it (big old farm house with lots of attic space), but I feel like I should sort the stuff out and at least pack it all better before everything's ruined. Yes, ruined; I checked things a little bit this weekend and noticed that, since my barbie dolls weren't stored properly, there's a lot of trash and dirt from the ceiling on them. And then there are problems with moisture etc. Gotta check what I can still save at a better time. Fortunately though, my old Bratz dolls were tightly packed and only had some dust on them. They're fine; I brought them home and sorted them out. I brought my legos too, though I've yet to go through those and didn't find the two big boards that I have that can be built on.

There's no other dimension to store stuff in as far as I know, but it is possible to rent extra space just for storage. Assuming one can afford it, of course. Could you?

Another option would be to sell stuff at flea market. I mean, at least to me, it's easier to give up on my stuff when I get money for it.

And then there are creative and convenient storage solutions, which could probably be found by googling those words... If I ever need to get a new bed, I want to get one with a box installed at the bottom. I could keep some boxes under my current bed, but that'd make cleaning harder so I haven't done it so far.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:22 am

I'm the opposite of this. I love throwing things away and having loads of space.

I'd hire a skip and get rid of the lot if I came to any of your houses

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:10 pm

I’ve made it into a game of “What can I get rid off?”Once a month I have to donate a box to the thrift store.Sometimes it’s a large box, other times maybe just a shoebox of stuff.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:31 pm

That is such a good idea.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm

i need more brainpower and inspiration to know where to put stuff and how to arrange stuff.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm

Getting mental connections to get things together to throw them out . Then i have a trash pickup here of about the size of two large . grocery sacks as a limit. So it equally frustrating . Have about 3 generstions of people belongings thst have passed on , that unfortunately . i can see uses for .
And understand why these people collected this stuff. Problem is even if i could get behind the clean out .There are so many things interpersed that are valuable that its hard to configure whats , what.?
And so many have uses . Managed to pare down a way over zealous clothing collection . But have hit a point where, i will not bring anything more into the house except the daily mail and groceries.

where ever you go ,there you are

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2021, 10:09 pm

I don't have that much stuff but my girlfriend has a lot. She has lots of books & knickknacks.
Here's the theme song for this thread :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition