Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 7:55 pm

Hiya, I was just wondering if anyone here experienced this.

Sometimes during periods of extreme emotion I feel kind of split and start to naturally think about myself as a separate entity. It's sort of like there's the part of me who is higher up/better and gets to judge this separate part of me. It's hard to put in words but it feels kind of like being broken apart a little and I see myself as an outsider. I was feeling suicidal earlier this week when it happened and I started to judge myself but was thinking as if I was someone separate, calling this other self which was me a "creature" and "thing" while being disgusted by it. It was like I was a partially separate person, realising I was the thing I was judging but feeling different and superior to it. Do any of you relate? I'm bringing it up in therapy but wanted to know if it sounded familiar to anyone.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 10:05 pm

Yes, I detach from myself at times of extreme stress and I've had moments where it seems like someone else is playing my PC better than I ever could while I just watch uselessly.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 11:36 am

Sounds like dissociation to me.

It's what happens to me. If I'm in a stressful situation I can deal with it but once it's over and I look back I can hardly remember it happening. Feels like a dream and it definitely feels like someone has taken over and dealt with the situation for me.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2021, 3:56 am

This is the reason I don't get my driver's license even though I'm in my thirties and I'm actually a more than decent driver and even know how to drive semi trucks. I pass an intersection during a green light then question myself if I just ran a red. I also have a problem remembering if I used my turning signals even though people will tell me that I'm an idiot and inform me if I didn't just hear the clicking from the dash and ask if I'm playing.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 5:19 am

babybird wrote:
Sounds like dissociation to me.

It's what happens to me. If I'm in a stressful situation I can deal with it but once it's over and I look back I can hardly remember it happening. Feels like a dream and it definitely feels like someone has taken over and dealt with the situation for me.

Exactly this.

And, yes. I experience it quite a lot, particularly during stressful times.