Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 2:37 am

I have major doubts. Several years ago I was told I needed to couch things more as questions, more than just statements. That was fair comment. However doing that hasn't made a major difference. Also there are those who post articles and make statement type posts who do much better than me reply wise.

That leads me to question whether this is a suitable forum for me. It's about compatibility rather than a criticism of members here.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 2:56 am

firemonkey wrote:
I have major doubts. Several years ago I was told I needed to couch things more as questions, more than just statements. That was fair comment. However doing that hasn't made a major difference. Also there are those who post articles and make statement type posts who do much better than me reply wise.

That leads me to question whether this is a suitable forum for me. It's about compatibility rather than a criticism of members here.

You have a style similar to me. I usually write statements rather than questions or a conversational style. It is actually an autistic thing so IMHO you are a suitable person for wp.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:10 am

babybird wrote:

You have a style similar to me. I usually write statements rather than questions or a conversational style. It is actually an autistic thing so IMHO you are a suitable person for wp.

Thank you. I've always struggled when it comes to getting replies, across a wide range of forums. It's made me question time and time again whether I fit in and am truly accepted, or just tolerated.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:42 am

firemonkey wrote:

I totally get this. I'm sorry you are struggling to get replies.

I honestly don't feel I fit in anywhere I go (online or elsewhere), so maybe this is a normal thing to feel as an autistic?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

You are suitable here. I can get similar issues. Wierdly the threads I start that I was thinking were not so good threads so I abandoned them and rarely look at then because I said what I said to get a statement across where I had no further interest in them have taken off with hundreds of replies but I am not part of the thread, but the threads that are meaningful to me sometimes get no replies, or peter out after about three replies and some of those were me.

I am not one who can keep threads going because I am popular. I have noticed on other sites that I seem to be a thread killer! I was scared at one point because whole sites had gone quiet when I write things, but if I then go quiet for a while they picked up again! So when I initisally joined this one and after a few months things went quiet for a short while I was asking if I should leave for the sake of keeping the site running... But I was assured all is ok.

But you are fine. Keep posting regardless of how many replies you get. Some will take off. Others won't. It is how things are.

I have very much noticed how "Allistic like" threads take off like mad. What I mean by allistic type threads is ones that reflect popular oppinions that happen to be in the news or on TV at the time.
Any threads that go contrary to what is popular so they tend to be more autistically written by nature are ones which come under scrutiny or are not replied to so much. This means in theory that even amongst autistic minded people, they are more likely to follow "NT like" thoughts, which goes to show that the autism spectrum is a lot more complicated then one would origionally believe it to be, even amongst the more severely autistic people.

But going back to you posting. Post away. I like your threads, even though some subjects I may not reply on because they may not always catch my interests... This does not make them less valid as we all have our own interests... Where our interests and personalities merge we can have good conversations.

You are a good guy and we need you on this site, as you raise topics and face things that open up our thoughts. In many ways you are more intelligent then me because your use of words is more comprehensive. You use words I don't know what they mean as my ability to use language is limited. I tend to have a low range of words, but use them more often. I think deep thoughts best in picture form. Wierdly I spoke my first three words very early on but then went dead quiet and spoke at the average age that one speaks. It is only when I came into my teenage years onwards that I realized how limited my ability to remember what more complicated words actually mean has been limited. It is why my ability to learn other languages was restricted. But your use of english is amazing to be honest.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:24 am

firemonkey wrote:
babybird wrote:

Thank you. I've always struggled when it comes to getting replies, across a wide range of forums. It's made me question time and time again whether I fit in and am truly accepted, or just tolerated.

You do fit in here. It's just probably that people read what you have to say and it's foid for thought rather than a need to type a response. It happens to me across the Web as well and that's how I have come to understand it.

Keep posting firemonkey.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:31 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
You are suitable here. I can get similar issues. Wierdly the threads I start that I was thinking were not so good threads so I abandoned them and rarely look at then because I said what I said to get a statement across where I had no further interest in them have taken off with hundreds of replies but I am not part of the thread, but the threads that are meaningful to me sometimes get no replies, or peter out after about three replies and some of those were me.

That is exactly the same as what happens to me. I've learned that it doesn't really matter though. People still read it even if they don't respond and I think that's all that counts sometimes.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:49 am

Flown wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I honestly don't feel I fit in anywhere I go (online or elsewhere), so maybe this is a normal thing to feel as an autistic?

As I'm the constant factor across forums it's obvious that my personality is totally f*****. A combination of ASD + schizophrenia probably doesn't help.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:51 am

I hope you stay.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:52 am

firemonkey wrote:
Flown wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

As I'm the constant factor across forums it's obvious that my personality is totally f*****. A combination of ASD + schizophrenia probably doesn't help.

You are a blessing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:11 am

Maybe it's to do with being English. I'm not being racist or saying that we're discriminated against in any way whatsoever but you're English, I think MG is English or at least from the UK and I'm English and we seem to have encountered the same issue. Just an observation, im not looking to start a riot.

I also think that if you write about problems people are more likely to respond because they want to solve your problem and that's a very aspie thing to do but if your just saying something random then people are less likely to respond. I think MG already said that earlier in the thread.

Anyway you've done quite well with this thread.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2021, 10:17 am

firemonkey wrote:
I have major doubts. ...
That leads me to question whether this is a suitable forum for me.

I think that this could almost be a necessary quality to belong here. If you have never had any doubts or questions about whether or not this is the right place for you - you probably don't belong here. Sounds to me like you fit right in.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2021, 10:25 am

babybird wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

That is exactly the same as what happens to me. I've learned that it doesn't really matter though. People still read it even if they don't respond and I think that's all that counts sometimes.

Too, it might be that the reason you're not getting replies is because your questions confuse the rest of us to - like if we knew what the answer is, we wouldn't be here!

firemonkey wrote:

I have a combination ASD + I've been dx'd incorrectly with schizophrenia, does that count? :mrgreen: They fixed the diagnosis, now it's ASD + DID (multiple personality disorder) - but I'm not sure that helped me fit in better. ;)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:53 am

Well I don't know that I fit in on here....but well I keep coming back. Idk I have made posts that get lots of comments and conversation and I've made really crappy posts where when I look back I am like 'why did I make that post' but then luckily no one commented so it just gets buried.

I just remind myself I have autism and a good majority of people here have autism, so it is ok to be awkward sometimes. Like for anything I post that I end up feeling embarrassed about, I bet someone else has posted something just as bad at some point.

I think you are perfectly suitable for this forum.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:55 am

firemonkey wrote:

I haven't noticed anything "f*****" about your personality. You seem like a really considerate, intelligent person from what I've gleaned from your posts.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
...it is ok to be awkward sometimes. Like for anything I post that I end up feeling embarrassed about, I bet someone else has posted something just as bad at some point.

Can confirm. Awkwardness abounds here!

I have RSD and sometimes get embarrassed very easily if people do not respond to my posts the way I predicted.