Why are butlers in American movies usually British?

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:39 am

Kerch wrote:
I'm a bit bothered by how everybody (but in particular americans) say "british" accent. I wish they'd at least narrow it down to "english" since that's what they mean.
As somebody above wondered, scottish accents are technically british, as are welsh ones. But call them that and everybody get's all confused.

Americans call our own language "the English language". So when you want to subdivide English between the two sides of the Atlantic Americans call the dialect from the far side "British" because it would be confusing to talk about "speaking English English".

But you're right that strictly speaking ... Americans mean dialects of England, when they say "British English". And we talk about "Scottish accents" as a different thing. And Wales, and its dialects arent even on the American radar screen at all. There is autistic guy in Britain who does a Utube show. He speaks in a (to me) odd dialect that has hints of an Irish brogue, but isnt an Irish brogue. I finnally asked him in the comment section what it was- he was amused- and said that he is from Wales.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Fenn wrote:
In Franco Zeffirelli’s - Jesus of Nazareth
All the Romans had American accents and were played by American actors.
I think it was a conscious choice by the directory.

In school lit class we studied the ancient Greek play "Lysistrata"- which is about the wars between the Greek city states. We listened to a record of actors doing the play. All of the Spartan characters spoke in Southern US dialect, and the Athenians all spoke in general purpose US dialect. :lol:

The teacher said it was to simulate the dialect differences of the ancient Greek regions. Though there is a certain logic to doing it that way- it still seemed laughable to us.

General purpose US accent is generally the way northern Midwesterners speak.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
smudge wrote:
I like all the above stereotypes of us. We are intelligent, sexy, sophisticated, classy, evil villains 8) .

The cockney accent and RP accents are separate though, I really don't understand why the yanks combine them into one in a person.

Maybe a yank can confirm, I *think* it's British men's accents that are considered attractive to American women. I haven't heard of a British female accent be considered attractive to American men.

Am I wrong?

Posh or RP can be quite sexy in woman. It didnt hurt Joan Collins, Dianna Rigg, or Elizabeth Hurley. Lower class British accent dont ...add to a lady's sexiness much for me. Amy Winehouse was hot despite her dialect. Not because.

Nigella Lawson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

Joe90 wrote:
Why doesn't this offend British people?.

I have read a lot of interviews with British rock acts who discuss the difference between American and British Audiences. They talk about how self deprecating the British are compared to Americans, how as soon as you get any success the British want to cut you down.

funeralxempire wrote:
Americans and Canadians often fetishize British accents as classy, including even some of them that wouldn't be seen as classy within the UK itself.

If a British person and an American person says the exact same thing the British persons words will seem to me to hold more gravitas solely due to the accent. It does not matter how gruff or working class the accent is.

smudge wrote:
I haven't heard of a British female accent be considered attractive to American men.

Now you have.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 8:48 am

I believe Nigella Lawson has the "posh" accent. I wouldn't mind "biting" her :P

Still, I think the Cockney accent in women is cute.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:35 am

I read an article in the New York Times where the British government was looking for two butlers to help entertain government and visiting foreign dignitaries. The date was within the last 5 or 10 years. Apparently some British people like the idea of a British Butler and even want a couple good ones to show off.

Jeeves and Wooster are both British.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe Nigella Lawson has the "posh" accent. I wouldn't mind "biting" her :P

Yes she's more tasty than the dishes she comes up with :lol:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:12 pm

I suspect that in many parts of the world people have an outdated idea that the UK is still a 'classy' nation. I was reading the comments on a YouTube video on this topic recently, and an astonishing number of foreign posters associated the UK with things like 'tea and scones', etc. Maybe they should have a look around places like Rochdale to get a more realistic picture of what most of the country is like these days..

Couldn't help smiling by the way at an earlier post where someone described Alan Sugar as 'upper middle class'. Jumped up barrow boy, more like, though admittedly his achievement in building Amstrad from nothing into one of the UK's top companies, albeit briefly, was exceptional.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:48 am

DeepHour wrote:
I suspect that in many parts of the world people have an outdated idea that the UK is still a 'classy' nation. I was reading the comments on a YouTube video on this topic recently, and an astonishing number of foreign posters associated the UK with things like 'tea and scones', etc. Maybe they should have a look around places like Rochdale to get a more realistic picture of what most of the country is like these days..

Couldn't help smiling by the way at an earlier post where someone described Alan Sugar as 'upper middle class'. Jumped up barrow boy, more like, though admittedly his achievement in building Amstrad from nothing into one of the UK's top companies, albeit briefly, was exceptional.

More stuffy and old fashioned than classy. At least that's the perception.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:56 pm

I watched "My Man Godfrey" (1936) on youtube (whole movie is there for free if you don't mind the randomly placed ads). It is a silly screwball comedy - I liked it and I liked the performance of William Powell in the title role. My daughter would probably say the female characters were not to her liking - by modern standards.

Came out the same year as "Thank You, Jeeves!". Plot summery, a "tramp" or "homeless person" type character (in the film he is refered to as a "Forgotten man") is picked up by a rich socialite so she can win a scavenger hunt. She wins and is pleased she beat her sister and asks the man if she can do anything for him by way of returning the favor. He says he needs a job and she hires him on the spot as the new Butler. Everyone is surprised by what a good job he does despite everyone in then family being a bit daffy. I won't tell you the end but many of you can guess it. At one point in the film one of the other characters jokingly refers to Godfrey as "Jeeves".

So I think this points back to Jeeves as the original Hollywood British Butler.

Originally created "by English author P. G. Wodehouse" in short stories 1915.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves