Couple kicked out of Texas restaurant for wearing masks

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 3:45 am

A Texas couple wore face masks at a restaurant to protect their immunocompromised infant. The owner asked them to leave

Quote:
A Texas couple who landed themselves a rare night out with friends says it was cut short when the restaurant kicked them out for wearing face masks, which they say they wore to protect their immunocompromised 4-month-old son.
Natalie Wester and her husband, Jose Lopez-Guerrero, joined a group of friends at a restaurant and bar in Rowlett, about 20 miles northeast of Dallas, on September 10.

"We are new parents and in the middle of a pandemic, we don't really get out a whole lot," Wester told CNN. "But that Friday night, my mom happened to be available to watch our son. ... Living in a pandemic, being isolated and away from others is a big deal for our mental and social health."

Their infant has cystic fibrosis, they said, so they have taken precautions to stay safe and do what's best for their family, and that includes wearing a face mask in public except when drinking or eating.

But the restaurant they visited, Hang Time Sports Grill & Bar, has a no-mask wearing policy, according to its owner, whom CNN affiliate KTVT identified only as Tom. Wester said she was not aware of the policy.

About 30 minutes in, our waitress comes over and she sits down next to me and she's like, 'Hey, so our manager is over there in the kitchen, and he is not as nice as I am so I came over here to talk to you and unfortunately, this is a political thing, but our manager does not believe in the mask. He's tired of being told what to do by, you know, politics in the country, and so you're going to need to take the mask off," Wester said.

The US Department of Justice outlines federal protections for Americans based on race, color, sex, disability, religion, familial status, national origin and citizenship, but it doesn't outline any protections specifically regarding face coverings.
For the most part, as far as federal law is concerned, private businesses can impose whatever rules on their customers that they want to, as long as they don't discriminate on those outlined protections, University of Houston Law Center associate professor Emily Berman told CNN. Generally, businesses may be able to ban the use of masks, with two important caveats.

"First, if someone has a certain physical condition that makes them particularly vulnerable to Covid-19 (or lives with someone particularly vulnerable to Covid-19), that condition might be considered a disability," she said. "If so, there is an argument that forcing that person to take off a mask or leave the premises might constitute discrimination on the basis of disability."

"Second, state and local governments often expand the list of categories against which discrimination is prohibited," she said. "So things like pregnancy, transgender status, marital status, etc. get protection in certain jurisdictions, which means different rules might apply in different places."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:22 am

that place needs to be sued.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:35 am

This is awful, but I'm not at all surprised.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:40 am

Ignoring the fact that I think the owner is an idiot, he does have the right to create whatever house rules he wishes, as long as they don't violate any laws. What is annoying is that there is no posted sign or other advertising about the policy. Patrons only find out from the hostess. Because of noise, they may not even understand what is being said. To wait until food is ordered to push the situation is extremely scumbag. It's like saying "hi, I'm happy to take your money, but I'm going to treat you like a second class citizen while doing so, and force you to take it out."

POST THE POLICY so potential patrons can plan accordingly. The owner selfishly denied the couple a chance to have a relaxing night out. If they had known, they would have chosen differently.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:42 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
POST THE POLICY so potential patrons can plan accordingly. The owner selfishly denied the couple a chance to have a relaxing night out. If they had known, they would have chosen differently.

Agreed. This could have been avoided with a simple sign on the door.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 4:56 am

the jackass of an owner was looking for confrontations where he could lay down his law and intimidate people. a cowardly bully who could not be bothered to come out from his hiding spot in the kitchen and directly confront his uncooperative customers and instead sent out a flunkie to do his dirty work. despicable person.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

While I condemn the owner for throwing the hostess under the bus, I also see it as a "the shoe is on the other foot now" scenario. With so many conservative restaurant patrons getting trampled on for not wanting to wear masks, practice social distancing, or use those god-awful QR code menus, seeing someone get kicked out for wearing a mask feels like a breath of fresh air to me; the German word "schadenfreude" comes to mind.

Still, his restaurant, his rules, within the bounds of constitutional laws. A restaurant in Antifatopia, California (not a real town) could require customers to wear full-body biohazard suits "for their safety", and it'd be 100% legal. So why is this Texas owner getting trashed for his conservative politics?

(Sing to the tune of "Back That Thang Up".)
Girl, you look good, won't you take that mask off!
You'se a fine young brother, won't you take that mask off!
Call me "Big Daddy" when you take that mask off!
Now, who you playin' with? Take that mask off!

My rights don't end where your feeeelings begin!
Then they came for me. But by then, there was no one left to object.
If you're conservative when you're young, you have no heart! If you're liberal when you're mature, you have no brain!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 11:42 am

It just doesn’t make sense for someone to be thrown out of a restaurant merely for wearing a mask.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 11:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It just doesn’t make sense for someone to be thrown out of a restaurant merely for wearing a mask.

But they might spread their attitude of caring about the well-being of others and we can't have a contagious outbreak of human decency. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 11:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Any more than it makes sense to kick someone out for not wearing a mask. It all depends on which state/area you're in and your governor's personal beliefs.

My city worships Covid like it's a god, and makes it a social norm, like going to church in the rural Deep South. But when I went to the next state to see a rock band with some "q"uestionable friends, it was like Covid didn't exist there.

If you're conservative when you're young, you have no heart! If you're liberal when you're mature, you have no brain!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 3:10 pm

i read in the south it was not uncommon for attendees to be thrown out for not being dressed sufficiently formally, or having long hair or [male] earrings or such.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:31 pm

I get a feeling the owner only did this as a reverse to fight against mandatory masks so he is deciding to do the opposite by kicking out anyone who wears masks to make a point. "Oh so you want to discriminate against those who don't wish to wear masks, we'll let's see them being discriminate against for wanting to wear masks."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:33 pm

the man is an ignorant jackass who is actively aiding/abetting the virus.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
that place needs to be sued.

Or just as good...boycotted.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 6:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I get a feeling the owner only did this as a reverse to fight against mandatory masks so he is deciding to do the opposite by kicking out anyone who wears masks to make a point. "Oh so you want to discriminate against those who don't wish to wear masks, we'll let's see them being discriminate against for wanting to wear masks."
That's precisely what it was. The owners wanted to show Covid worshipers how unpleasant it is to always be shamed, berated, and discriminated against over a silly flu virus. It was shady of him to throw the hostess under the bus; he could have come out and given the Covid worshippers the boot himself. If he hadn't stayed hidden in the back room, I'd gladly eat in his restaurant and tip my server 33%.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 6:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the man is an ignorant jackass who is actively aiding/abetting the virus.

Or IMO, someone who won't accept the harsh damages COVID-19 has done ever since it started.