Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LucyLandRover
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2021, 6:49 am

Hello,
I am new here and would like to say hello and hope you are all well and coping with the neuro type world? I am forty three and was diagnosed age thirty eight as being autistic. I cycle and read a lot as well as litter picking around the moors. I love visiting London and have just returned from a weekend exploring the fine stations destined by Charles Holden. Does anyone else like London?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:19 am

Welcome to WP!

And I'm not much of a tourist and I've barely been out of the U.S. But I like WP! I hope you do, too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 6:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:07 pm

Welcome. Bicycles is one of my main interests but the mechanical side. Trains is the other.

London... It seems nice to know the history etc, but I am out of place in cities. I am in my element in the countryside. :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet .. happy landings

where ever you go ,there you are

LucyLandRover
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2021, 12:33 pm

Hello and thank you for all the kind reply's. Mountain Goat, I too like trains and loved being able to visit stations on the tube network that interested me. I do enjoy traveling by train as well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:00 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:28 pm

Welcome.

Yes, I like London.

In fact I was there last Sunday to meet up with someone for a few hours.

I lived for many years just to the West of it and for a couple of years before I moved here in the Greater London area - Twickenham.

Although I can find crowds, noise and multiple competing sensory input disorientating and at times very unpleasant the thing that I like about large cosmopolitan metropolis's is the relative anonymity. There are many, many people but they pretty much leave you alone and take no interest in how you are, what you look like or what you are doing. When I had my flat in Twickenham I was on nodding terms with neighbours but thats all, no one interfering with me or passing comment on my life.

At the moment I am in a mainly rural location. The countryside especially the moors and the coast is marvelous. However the small village mentality means that everyone seems to know your business and so many want to engage in small talk and chit chat. I find it quite oppressive and stressful and look forward to when I can return to in or near London in a couple of years time.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it will be right for you

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

welcome from Michigan USA. London sounds interesting, but at age 70, I have not yet been to see or experience for myself. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Located in the US and never been to London, but hope you'll enjoy it here.

We don't have moors, but I do live in the woods/swamps with no one around, which is how I love it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:41 pm

LucyLandRover wrote:
Hello and thank you for all the kind reply's. Mountain Goat, I too like trains and loved being able to visit stations on the tube network that interested me. I do enjoy traveling by train as well.

I have only just seen your reply. I have in the past travelled miles by train as I worked them.

I have always liked trains.

Never seen or been on a tube train. I do have a book about a manufacturer who made a few of them somewhere.

London is busy. Here, if we get more then ten cars it is a traffic jam. Ok. Exagerating a bit. More like 20 cars... :D

My neighbour has two Landrovers. A series 1 he uses on the farm along with a modern one which he uses here and on his farm. His farm is about 40 miles away.

I also know someone who has one but it is off the road. It is a rare version which was built to cross the Sahara desert and has crossed it 15 times. No other vehicle was capable of crossing in because one has to carry enough fuel on board as the difficulty is that while other types of vehicle can carry more fuel, they are either too heavy or they drink too much fuel so are unable to make it without additional support. So far this (As this was a type of prototype made for the trip in that it had two rows of seats and a boxed back specifically designed to hold a great many jerry cans which came with his vehicle when he bought it) was the only vehicle to do the whole crossing unsupported carrying all its own fuel.
Whenever you see organized events crossing the desert, they will always have fuel stopping off points along the way.

I like the look of the cab forwards. :D

Back to the underground. I had a relative who made a model of the entire London underground in his attic with all the stations on multilevels... No one was allowed to go in there. Just him. That was back in the 1950's to 60's I believe.

I like narrow gauge models myself in 7mm scale.