Texas GOP wants the Bible for official "State Book".

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The Bible is being chosen over Lonesome Dove? The latter was written by someone actually from Texas.

Though Larry McMurtry did co-write the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, so there’s that…

If I learned anything from Full Metal Jacket the fact that he also wrote that makes his book even more suitable.

How can Texas move forward when about half the population is disenfranchised from voting, the Supreme Court is on Abbott/Patrick/Paxton/Cruz/Gohmert/Roy’s sides, and now this?

In Sweden, certain Bible verses (Leviticus 18:22, 1 Corinthians 14:34, etc) and similar verses from the Quran are considered prosecutable hate speech.

Texas needs to be like Sweden.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

This goes totally against our Constitution.

Separation of church and state and all that.....

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:36 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The Bible is being chosen over Lonesome Dove? The latter was written by someone actually from Texas.

Though Larry McMurtry did co-write the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, so there’s that…

If I learned anything from Full Metal Jacket the fact that he also wrote that makes his book even more suitable.

How can Texas move forward when about half the population is disenfranchised from voting, the Supreme Court is on Abbott/Patrick/Paxton/Cruz/Gohmert/Roy’s sides, and now this?

In Sweden, certain Bible verses (Leviticus 18:22, 1 Corinthians 14:34, etc) and similar verses from the Quran are considered prosecutable hate speech.

Texas needs to be like Sweden.

I don't believe an authoritarian approach is likely to benefit anyone and openly advocating for that approach only gives ammo to the unhinged to rant about. (And worst of all, the more advocacy there is for authoritarian approaches the less unhinged those guys sound.)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 9:02 pm

Most Republicans in Texas like most people live a sinful lifestyle according to the Good Book so i think its hypocritical on the states part.I would of rather the state book been something about the Texas Revolution or the Old 300 or the story of Spindletop or something like that that is more legal and less controversial.Also its probably unconsitiutional

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2021, 6:59 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Great. More inspiration for people to preach not the love and compassion Jesus gave to the poor, sick, elderly, and outcasts, but rather the hate of God against abortion and LGBTQ communities.

God loves the sinner. You know Mickey Rourke would have comminuted suicide had his priest not stopped him religion saved him.
https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a181021/mickey-rourke-a-priest-saved-my-life/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:36 am

AliceCooper wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Great. More inspiration for people to preach not the love and compassion Jesus gave to the poor, sick, elderly, and outcasts, but rather the hate of God against abortion and LGBTQ communities.

God loves the sinner. You know Mickey Rourke would have comminuted suicide had his priest not stopped him religion saved him.
https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a181021/mickey-rourke-a-priest-saved-my-life/
A mere exception.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:40 am

AliceCooper wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Drugs saved my life, so clearly they're good for everyone. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う