Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 8:46 am

WARNING: This post and the cited article contain language that may be objectionable to some.

Few versions of quackery is quackier -- or more dangerous -- than the insane nonsense of using bleach products to try to "cure" anything whatsoever, be it COVID-19 or autism.  Yet the toxic bleach product MMS (Miracle Mineral Solution), or Chlorine Dioxide, has long been peddled precisely for autism -- as well as for AIDS, cancer, and more or less every other disease known to humanity. ... Though we prefer to cover the peddlers rather than the parents here, we need to mention Laurel AustinAustin is a mother to six children, four of which are diagnosed as autistic.  She has been giving at least two of them MMS bleach.  Austin is also antivaccine, and still claiming that vaccines are responsible for her children's autism, which they demonstrably are not, and she has exposed her children to a range of unproven and dangerous quack treatments.  In short, Laurel Austin is a horrible lunatic piece of garbage, and completely unsuited as a parent or for being in any sort of authority or care relation to any other person.  The primary justification for covering her here, however, is that she is a pretty active proponent of this kind of quackery on social media, even giving "advice" to other parents.  She has also co-hosted and appeared on various anti-vaccine radio programs and videos, often with Kerri Rivera herself.  Oh, and Austin is even a flat-earther (no, really) who attends annual conferences with other enthusiasts of that, well, idea...

Source:
 This Encyclopedia of American Loons article 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 9:08 am

... For the last year, according to her social media posts and documents from a police investigation, Laurel Austin has been giving two of her adult sons, Jeremy and Joshua, chlorine dioxide. The Food and Drug Administration warns the solution amounts to industrial bleach, and doctors say it can cause irreparable harm when ingested, including damage to the digestive system and kidneys.

Since January, when Bradley Austin learned that his ex-wife was using chlorine dioxide on their sons, he has been trying to stop her (he is also exploring fighting for guardianship of his sons); but the local police, the state's division of adult protective services and a medical doctor treating Jeremy have all declined to intervene.  A police spokesman said there was not enough evidence that chlorine dioxide was dangerous; a caseworker with the Kansas Adult Protective Services told police that she did not see the situation as serious enough for the state to take action.

The Austins’ case illustrates the ways in which online health misinformation can become so pervasive that it begins to sway not only those on the fringe who are seeking alternate treatments and explanations but also authorities, including doctors and the police, who are charged with protecting the most vulnerable. ...

Source:
 This CBSNEWS article 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 10:11 am

I don't understand how this 'bleach cure' hasn't been outlawed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 10:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Neither do I.  Nor do I understand why any reasonable, intelligent, and educated person would fall for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 2:03 pm

They actually believe all of the vomiting, diarrhea etc is proof MMR is working.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I was under the false impression that poisoning people was against the law. Silly me for not recognizing that poisons used to “treat” autistic people are protected poisons.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 2:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I was under the false impression that poisoning people was against the law. Silly me for not recognizing that poisons used to “treat” autistic people are protected poisons.

Abuse one's parents subject them to is only debatably abuse.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う