Alexa & autistic voices? A left field question

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:00 pm

Voice recognition technology isn't very reliable for anyone. I don't have Alexa, but the people I've seen using Alexa usually enunciate very carefully when giving it commands, and even then, it sometimes misunderstands them.

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2021, 5:47 am

I have a soft spoken, cartoonish, Pinnochio type voice, and Siri, Alexa, OK Google, none of that crap works for me, and she always says, "Sorry, I didn't get that." "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you." etc. lol. So I'm like damn it, screw this. Stop being lazy, and do it myself.

So maybe with people with more concise and more conventional voices it works for them, but not for me. So yeah lol.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:12 am

Listening to my then three year old niece who had been taught to use her pleases and thank-yous trying to use her tablet while she was getting more and more frustrated. (She is older now but still is a bit of drama queen! :D ).
I do not recall the exact wording but her conversation went something like this but was actually more dramatic ending up with lots of shouting and screaming and stamping of her feet which we all watched in amusement!

"Google. Can I have Paw Patrol please".

'Searching for "Can I have Paw Patrol please".... There are no results for "Can I have Paw Patrol please"'

"Google. Paw Patrol please".

'Searching for "Paw Patrol please".... There are no results for "Paw Patrol please". Do you mean Paw Patrol?'

"Google, yes please"

'Searching for "Yes please"'.

"Google. NOOOOO!"

'Searching for "NOOOOO!"'

She then throws her tablet to the floor and storms off....

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:26 am

I would hate to have technology in my home that reacts to my voice. I can think of nothing I'd want less.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:32 am

I have never used it either. It concerns me when google ads are tailored to conversations my Mum and I have had in the house where I have never once enquired online about it, hence it has picked up on our personal conversations and used them to alter the adverts to my taste.
I never have used, or wanted to use the speech to text facility and as it is built into this and most other devices it can't be turned off.