Starving for Equal Intellectual Engagement

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2021, 8:58 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking other Aspies to discuss life, the world, and everything intense with. I had a best friend in high school and we were both undiagnosed Aspies. This was 20+ years ago and the knowledge around it was pretty much all about guys and not girls. I have not had as close a female friendship since.

I have some great ADHD friends but I feel like I wear them out intellectually. I would love to have what I had in high school with some new aspie friends. I have worked in IT (with tons of male aspies and I loved them all but never a fellow female aspie, usually I was only female). Recently I switched over to a social sciences career. Is anyone else starving for great deep conversation about lots of topics and would like to converse? If so please contact me.

Thanks!! !! !

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 9:12 pm

Alien99 wrote:
Is anyone else starving for great deep conversation about lots of topics and would like to converse? If so please contact me.

Thanks!! ! ! !

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

A lot of us enjoy deep conversation. However, instead of asking us immediately to contact you by private message, I would suggest that you engage in some of that deep conversation here in the public forums. Look around for posts on topics that interest you, and reply. Eventually, as we get to know you, some of us will likely be inclined to send you a private message.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 9:44 pm

Welcome to WP!

And I was in IT but I'm a guy. I hope it is still OK to converse with me.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2021, 9:53 pm

Yes of course. I love intellectual conversation. Who cares who brings it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 10:03 am

I can't promise I'll be very intellectual. I don't recall that being common among IT guys. And now I'm very retired and hiding from the Pandemic so I've withdrawn from the world (but not the WP world)...fortunately I have a very clear "I" MBTI preference so staying home all of the time is quite comfortable for me (though I miss fast-food excursions).

And are you ADHD and Aspie? I'm strictly an INTJ Aspie, my bride is the ADHD one here. And she tires me out more than I tire her out...except when you get into something that I'm interested in and then she doesn't so much get tired out but rather tired of hearing about it.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2021, 2:08 pm

I am ADHD and Aspie. I have a whole fam of ADHD but only two of us are both ADHD and Aspie. Although this may change as they realize that more and more ADHD are falling onto the spectrum too. My ADHD is mostly just fast processing. I watch and listen to everythung at 2.0+ speed. Schooling was torture Ave that's why do many of us go into IT because self learning is valued there. My husband is ADHD. Smartest guy I know. I love how his brain works and I love how deep his heart is. I always worried I would love everyone more than they could love me back. But my children and Husband proved me wrong. Sometimes its good to be wrong.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm

I wrote: If so please contact me.

You wrote:
A lot of us enjoy deep conversation. However, instead of asking us immediately to contact you by private message, I would suggest that you engage in some of that deep conversation here in the public forums. Look around for posts on topics that interest you, and reply. Eventually, as we get to know you, some of us will likely be inclined to send you a private message.

I didn't write PM me I wrote contact me, if you like deep conversation. You posted back to tell me I did it wrong. This is like getting yelled at by the teacher in elementary school for being Aspie. Geez. Why?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

You've gotta remember that by definition, we have impaired communication skills. So whatever somebody writes in not necessarily a criticism, not does it mean they read your post carefully.

I miss having actual intellectual conversations, but am not smart enough to keep up with the real intellectuals here. There is also a tendency for conversations to devolve into partisan bickering, even on topics not normally associated with politics.

Welcome to Wrong Planet. You will probably find people who can communicate with you at your level. I hope so.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:26 pm

What BlazingStar said.

There are areas of Wrongplanet that you can get into "intellectual discussions", but it can get rough and tumble, and partisan. Especially in the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion area.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2021, 11:07 pm

I understand everyone communicates differently. I also understand like attracts like. If she wanted to connect with me her shot missed the mark. So I ask why? Isn't this what Aspies do? They ask questions because we especially know language is vague and limited and we want to understand as clearly as possible.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:56 am

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 11:21 am

Alien99 wrote:
I wrote: If so please contact me.

You wrote:

I didn't write PM me I wrote contact me, if you like deep conversation. You posted back to tell me I did it wrong. This is like getting yelled at by the teacher in elementary school for being Aspie. Geez. Why?

From what I know of Mona Pereth, her intent was not to critique you or even point out any wrongdoing. I'm pretty sure she was trying to provide guidance so you could more quickly/better achieve your goal.

Misunderstandings do happen quite a lot here! :) To me (and possibly others) "contact me" means that you want a direct message/PM (which can immediately make a lot of us squirm uncomfortably). I think being more specific in this request (stating you prefer people to reply back to this particular topic, email you, or whichever form of contact you prefer) would have helped us better understand.

In terms of your quest for intellectual or deep conversations, I'm not sure if I can meet your criteria? :) I have pretty specific interests (as do many of us here)! Either way, I hope you find what you are looking for here! :heart:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:38 pm

welcome! I am continually amazed by other folks' lack of curiosity. I am amazed at the lack of interest many folks display over almost everything. My favorite word is "why" and I love to find others who want to pick things apart and explore various aspects of almost every part of life. You will find others of similar mind and curious natures here. So nice to know we are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 2:56 pm

The Bride
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2021, 6:13 pm

Feeding ducks is quite enjoyable - they are very vibrant little characters.