Different Colour Foods Touching Each Other.

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:48 am

While I have largely grown out of this as an adult thoug,h I still am not keen on red and green things touching but as a child I would refuse to eat food when the colours touched each other.

Is this normal for children or is it an autistic thing?

As an adult I have learned that it is ok. And it is more that some foods have different tastes and textures which don't work well together that I don't like. I will like one food and I would like another food but I would leave the part where the two foods meet.

Now though as my Mum explained that they all end up in the same place in my stomache (I had to think about that :D ) I will be more accomodating and eat them, but it was in adulthood that I made that decision...

Some foods I do not eat at all due to their texture and feel. Other foods I don't eat due to their taste. Most foods today I am happy eating but in the past as a child it could be difficult with me.

Some other things would prevent me from eating as well. If I saw a lit match or candle the smell would make me not eat. The same goes if someone is smoking, which growing up in the 1970's my parents used to tell me off because I would not eat in restaurants because they had an ash tray on the table or someone somewhere was smoking.
I did not mind too much if I was not eating. My Dad smoked. But I would be in a desparate rush to eat my food before my Dad would finish his and want to smoke. As soon as he lit up, no matter how nice the food was, that was when I stopped eating, and he would eat fast.
I am like this today. I don't mind people smoking at all really as long as they don't do it when I am having food. The two don't mix.

I don't smoke and never have tried. If I did try I would never do it when eating. The two are opposites. They don't mix like different colour foods don't mix...

It is the stronger red colour and green colour like postbox red and british racing green type of shades that do not go well together.

Strangely, they can meet together if they have a clearly defined boarder inbetween them, or if they are on separate panels. These days I am less fussy, but when I painted one of my trains, I was debating if I should use bufferbeam red next to the cartwright green which is a slightly brighter shade of green to british racing green, but as I realized that the bufferbeam at the back was on its own panel compared to the body work, I was ok with them coming together. The front of the loco where the bufferbeam is meets with black before it goes to the green body so I am fine with this.

I am only fussy these days on things that are important to me and other things I will not mind quite so much, like I no longer mind if I put a red book on a green book as they are separate things, and in the past I did not mind this. But red and green on the same item was something I did not like. When playing Lego I did not like red bricks touching the green bases as a child.

Yet light greens and pale reds are not so bad.Maybe I have good colour co-ordination? I know what colours work well together and which jar the eyes? :D

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:21 am

Likely more of OCD or anxiety thing.
Or unaccustomed and being rigid thing.
Or maybe visual and preference thing.

I outgrew that particular type of fussiness in food rather easily...

As for objects -- I never had it.
Probably because I didn't had a choice.

While I still retain the same instinct about the idea of being orderly... It hadn't been well acted or practiced upon.
Nor felt like enforcing any unless the space is absolutely certain that it's mine alone -- and I never owned any space for myself even now.

But sure -- reds and greens.
:lol: Reminds me of Christmas.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:32 am

I know it is not anxiety and not OCD because OCD is a compulsion to do things where this was more of a need. (I have had OCD tendencies in the past and I believe I hve conquored them though at times the odd one comes back. It took me 35 years to overcome one of them!)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:43 am

It seems common among autistic people but I've never had this. I only don't like foods touching if I don't like something that is on my plate and I don't want it to taint the other food. But otherwise, it has never bothered me if foods touch on the plate or what colours they are. All the food goes down the same hole and gets mushed inside you anyway, you can't keep your food apart in your stomach.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
All the food goes down the same hole and gets mushed inside you anyway, you can't keep your food apart in your stomach.

My mother said that to me for years! :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:17 am

my mom told me that,also.

where ever you go ,there you are

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:35 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I know it is not anxiety and not OCD because OCD is a compulsion to do things where this was more of a need. (I have had OCD tendencies in the past and I believe I hve conquored them though at times the odd one comes back. It took me 35 years to overcome one of them!)

??? And where does 'this need' came from? :o

I'm no doctor.

But the thought of "If I didn't do X, (insert stress or catastrophes here)"

It's either just stress and preference based, or anxiety based. There's a distinction.
A need maybe yet mostly driven by something unwanted... Or the need is unwanted itself.
But I doubt it's the latter of the two, because you said it's not a compulsion.

However... The thought "If I did X, (insert reward system trigger here)"... It's a bit different kind of anticipation, one that is positive and closer to thoughts mischief than fight or flight.
Less of a need and more of a want. :lol:

So which (of the 3 thought/feeling) is closer?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 10:29 am

Personally, I follow a different scheme. I don't try to separate different colors, I try to separate different foods without regard to their color.

Note that this is a preference, not a requirement.

Keeping different foods separated makes it easier to eat one thing at a time. Also a preference and a habit--enough so that my bride has asked me why I eat things that way.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 11:16 am

I don't want my foods touching regardless of what color they are.
I've gotten a little bit better about it, now that I'm older, but only if it's foods that taste good together anyway.

Joe90 wrote:
All the food goes down the same hole and gets mushed inside you anyway, you can't keep your food apart in your stomach.

That's what my mom always says, but human stomachs don't have taste buds.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 11:25 am

Fussy eating is a mine field sometimes.

I think it could be an autistic thing but I'm not really fussy. I do like to eat things in order of preference on my plate though.

Like I always eat my veg first. If I'm having chips then they will be last. Meat will be in the middle but if its got a nice bit of juicy fat on the meat then that will definitely be saved until last.

It's more like a childish game than fussy eating for me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 11:48 am

I don't care about the colours but I don't like certain mixes, like I don't like solid foods getting into my mashed potatoes unless I'm mixing everything into them; I don't like ketchup getting on a lot of foods either.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm

babybird wrote:
I do like to eat things in order of preference on my plate though.
I think I am biased toward eating them in reverse order of preference. Deferred gratification.

Though efficiency is another consideration. Say I have meat, mashed potatoes, and some non-potato veggie on my plate. I can probably just spear bits of the non-potato thingy from above and eat it piece-by-piece. If I finish that it clears a path for the fork to go into the mashed potatoes from the side, scooping up forkfuls. And afterwards there is just meat on the plate so I have lots of room to work on the meat with the knife and fork.

And there is another efficiency. Meat, mashed potatoes, and the non-potato veggie likely each involve different grips on the fork. By completing one item before starting on the next I don't have to adjust my grip on the fork so often.

OK. Maybe "normal" folk think that's a strange way to think of things. But I'm an Aspie and they probably think I'm strange on a lot of things. I think I'll just bask proudly in the difference.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 12:54 pm

Yeah I meant reverse order so I'll save the best until the last.

It probably comes from having to clear my plate when I was younger so I devised a way to make it easy on myself.

I just did it then with a pizza. I polished off the crust first then I ate my salad and then I went back for the best bit of the pizza.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 1:18 pm

Gosh.

To me there aint nothing more mouth watering than seeing a sizzling mix of diced red bell peppers and diced green bell peppers, yellow slices of squash, mixed together, with ...whatever other combo of meat, mushrooms, and veggies you are throwing into the skillet, mixed with tomato sauce, poured atop pasta.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

I sorted my food by color and I didn't like different textures touching (like spaghetti sauce leaking onto other foods), but I don't think I fussed. My ASD daughter does, so maybe I did. I listened to the kids' song "eat like rainbow" with my kids for a few years. Love that song. A plate full of colorful good is a great thing. These days I might mildly cringe, but hardly so. I will eat something unusual very slowly or not at all. I might want to eat it, but I can't. If I taste even a little bit of rot, I'm afraid to take another bite. My NT husband will say he doesn't taste it and my head is screaming with it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Gosh.

To me there aint nothing more mouth watering than seeing a sizzling mix of diced red bell peppers and diced green bell peppers, yellow slices of squash, mixed together, with ...whatever other combo of meat, mushrooms, and veggies you are throwing into the skillet, mixed with tomato sauce, poured atop pasta.
Well, some foods are inherently a jumble of things. When I eat chili con carne, for instance, I don't eat one ingredient at a time. And I don't eat the hamburger or hotdog separately from the bun, etc.

When it is a jumble-of-different-things food on my plate I eat forkfuls (or spoonfuls) of the jumble at a time. Um...systematically eating orderly bands across it until it is gone. I usually don't systematically eat specific ingredients one at a time.