Different Colour Foods Touching Each Other.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:59 pm

SharonB wrote:
I sorted my food by colour and I didn't like different textures touching (like spaghetti sauce leaking onto other foods)...

That is how I do things. I have eventually kinda semi grown out of it as in I will eat foods more mixed.

Wierdly, if I ate some foods like smarties or those rainbow drops things I would be fine eating them as they all tasted the same regardless of colour...
I may have in the past separated them but that was more due to my "Playing with my food" than due to colours as with sweets (Candies) it is different somehow?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

Double Retired wrote:
babybird wrote:
I do like to eat things in order of preference on my plate though.
I think I am biased toward eating them in reverse order of preference. Deferred gratification.

Though efficiency is another consideration. Say I have meat, mashed potatoes, and some non-potato veggie on my plate. I can probably just spear bits of the non-potato thingy from above and eat it piece-by-piece. If I finish that it clears a path for the fork to go into the mashed potatoes from the side, scooping up forkfuls. And afterwards there is just meat on the plate so I have lots of room to work on the meat with the knife and fork.

And there is another efficiency. Meat, mashed potatoes, and the non-potato veggie likely each involve different grips on the fork. By completing one item before starting on the next I don't have to adjust my grip on the fork so often.

OK. Maybe "normal" folk think that's a strange way to think of things. But I'm an Aspie and they probably think I'm strange on a lot of things. I think I'll just bask proudly in the difference.

Can identify with the above post very well. And definitely do not like more liquid foods . Leaking into other foods . White colored goods sometimes can touch brown foods . Can deal with different colours in a stew mostly .Used to hate beans their texture was wrong , recently been trying to get better at this. Unless hidden in a chili .

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:55 pm

Never have liked cook egg or boiled egg, scrambled egg etc., but I am not too bad with raw egg, though it has been years since I have had one.
It is both the smell, taste and the texture that I don't like about any form of cooked egg... The smell and the texture are the worst for me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:57 pm

Something I should say and this is regards to why it is not related to OCD. If I found two foods touching each other in the past, I could not swollow them as my stomach would churn with a gagging feeling. It was a "No way".
It is why it took me so long to get over it with foods, and though I do not have the same gagging stomache churning effect with non food items when red and green items touch, to me it is a visual jarring effect that does not sit right somehow. The origional Welsh flag was pleasant, but the current one which came in in 1956 is all wrong in the colours as it has red and green touching each other, let alone the demonical concepts of what they stand for... Even before I knew about the religious element I hated the flag. It was all wrong in trying to mix these colours.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:30 pm

babybird wrote:
Like I always eat my veg first. If I'm having chips then they will be last.

If you're talking about French fries/wedges/etc, I always eat those first. They are not very delicious once they've gone cold.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:01 am

coagulated fries... ewww..

where ever you go ,there you are

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:45 am

I don't think I ever minded colors being mixed.
However, different foods should not touch. I can eat it anyways now, but I dislike it.
Also, it should be proportionate, if there's too much potatoes and too little ham, I struggle to eat that extra bit of potatoes.
I usually divide the different foods into smaller parts, so that I won't end up with lots of one kind at the end of the meal.

/Mats

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 2:47 am

If I'm at a barbecue in the summertime, then it's likely there will be beetroot. I love beetroot but I can't stand it when it or its juice touches other food. So I dish up a serving of beetroot by itself, eat it, clean the plate, then get servings of the rest of the food.

It's the only food I'm fussy with.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2021, 3:17 am

I never had it to the degree of being fussy about colors, but smells were a pretty big issue. Not to the degree that I wouldn't eat at all, but it would make me VERY unhappy.

For me it's probably a mix of sensory issues and overactive danger instincts. Certain smells, if I smell even the tiniest bit of, can make it impossible for me to sleep or otherwise ignore.

When I lived in an apartment building, one of my neighbors smoked both tobacco and weed with closed windows to the point of even causing a smoky haze in my apartment. Management wouldn't do anything about it so the only thing I could do during our Canadian winters is open my windows and put on more clothes. (I know I probably could have gotten the law on my side but my mental health was in a very bad place so managing such social things was beyond my capability at the time)

I don't know if it's an autistic thing or not, but it's not only my sensory perception that's overacting but also my sensitivity to most things both physical and mental, and my safety/danger sense. All my life I've gotten bad tension headaches because of tense muscles throughout my neck and head, and it's come out in a lot of other ways too. Maybe it's all just from some underlying issue with whatever part of the brain that's responsible for all matters regarding sensitivity, boosting ANY kind of sensitivity, which ends up expressing itself in all kinds of different ways in our life.