Anyone here have a logic processing disability?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2021, 3:59 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
meatball4u wrote:
Fenn wrote:
I think debates are not about logic. They are about power. They are about picking and choosing facts and trying to construct a "logical" sounding argument to serve a specific goal, and denying, avoiding or minimizing facts and people who try to bring up facts that to not support the power or goal they are aiming for.

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it is right for you.

You have a point in that what often changes a person's mind in a debate/argument is outside of logic. I have had to rely on this reality my whole life, when I've learned to use creative means of persuasion.

But what I really wish I had was enough logic to prove things. Like to prove someone wrong, for instance. Many people use faulty logic as a rhetorical strategy to sound impressive or end a conversation, so having a quick logical wit can help prevent these sorts of outs from becoming a constant problem. Persuasion takes a collection of skills, I find

I wonder about this a bit. What Fenn says is something I think has a good premise. When people argue, it isn't usually about logic, it is about power, and often the person's ability to persuade is based on other, emotional, or status-related, factors, not the logical soundness of the argument. If logic is what was most persuasive, I'd think we may see fewer social issues, inequalities etc. Instead, the most persuasive people are those who inspire emotional responses in their audiences. If you are adept at being intuitive, perhaps relying on that strength is what will enable you to be considered more persuasive.

My hope would be the talent would be used for productive and altruistic motives. It does seem- and please correct me if I am misreading this- if you want to "win" or convince others to think a certain way you are seeking power over them, or trying to control them or their thoughts and ideas in some way. Personally, I don't think that is a positive or constructive thing, and in my mind equates to abusive behavior towards others.

The power I'm most interested in is the power of truth. I think people who truly believe in the persuit of truth, and the cultivation of humility that such a persuit requires, than persuasion for it's sake is just. I agree, there are people who seek to persuade for persuasion's sake, a manipulate approach. It takes a level of trust to really engage in just persuasion. Trust is easily broken and hard to earn

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:12 pm

The power I'm most interested in is the power of truth. I think people who truly believe in the persuit of truth, and the cultivation of humility that such a persuit requires, than persuasion for it's sake is just. I agree, there are people who seek to persuade for persuasion's sake, a manipulate approach. It takes a level of trust to really engage in just persuasion. Trust is easily broken and hard to earn[/quote]

Yes, trust is easily broken and hard to earn.

I think this may get down to a philosophical thing, but I wonder what the truth really is and if one individual can be the knower of truth relative to others?

It just reminds me of an analogy in my anthropology class a while ago. Some international groups, in an effort to help hungry African nations, sent powdered milk to certain villages. They later became enraged at reports of villages using the milk as whitewash on buildings and such. They then sent a delegation to teach the African villagers that this product was food, and not whitewash. Pretty much, they had a truth in mind that milk was food for all humans, were certain they were right, and were going to share that truth with people who didn't know any better. Well, come to find out, the people in the villages could not use the powdered milk- they were all lactose intolerant. Truth, in this situation, and many others it seems, is relative to the information we have available. At least, that is the scope I am seeing at this moment- could change if more information is forthcoming :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:37 pm

very well worded recollection Shellebelle. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Starlight2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2021, 7:40 pm

meatball4u and Shellbelle you both sound like interesting people. While I match the male aspie traits closer I'm interested in feminine perspectives. They match my worldview better. Many of the things I hate; violence, ego, and sexual perversion; are all masculine things. I believe the world would be better if men were more like women. If you ever want to message me I should answer within a day.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:44 pm

Jakki wrote:
very well worded recollection Shellebelle. :D

Thank you Jakki. Glad to see you, a fellow Platypus! :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

Shellbelle wrote: