Are NTs more susceptible to "the 7 deadly sins"??

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 3:56 pm

I mean, regardless of your religious convictions...have you ever wondered if NTs are more susceptible to the "Seven Deadly Sins" (greed, gluttony, sloth, pride, lust, envy and wrath) than us ASD/HFA folks are??

Based on their "genetic makeup" or operating system, whatever you want to call it...it's all about comparing oneself to others and being a "somebody" that is well-liked by others (popular), getting ahead and not having the same moral inhibitions that WE might (note that none of The Sins is about lying, that's the 10 commandments - but is usually rooted in pride) - so I'd say, yeah, the 7DS do tend to correspond to NTs more than us 8O 8)

The Twitter or social media "wars" that you might see, or cyberbullying are almost invariably NT constructs, and those are all rooted in wrath, pride, and envy.

The archetype of the NT male brute or "Chad" who harangues somebody who so much as says "hello" to his woman , or looks at her too long, is a product of seething envy, wrath, and pride.

When it comes to gluttony, though, I'm not so sure - maybe some folks have pegged an Aspie with bad table manners as being "gluttonous" in his eating habits, but that's about it.

When it comes to greed - yeah, that's almost certainly an NT thing - just look at how our advertising is arranged in Western societies. It's all about the accumulation of status symbols.

For us, our only real "sin" may be suppressing some of our "raw" ASD behaviours to get somewhere in life, but that's just to gain a foothold on the lower levels of the Maslow hierarchy of needs; covering up or masking our less desirable traits so that we can put food on the table, and so that we won't become the victim of a violent crime 8O whereas NTs by and large have those satisfied by pure privilege, unless they become like a drug addict or alcoholic or something.

The only instance I can think of, of Aspies being consumed by the 7DS is when they are part of that "Incel" movement (as a Gen Xer, this meant nothing to me in my day), in which they are clearly consumed by envy, not to mention wrath and lust. Maybe the wrath part comes in when it comes to meltdowns, but that's not a shared experience of NTs by and large.

Oh, and before I forget the sloth part...I think it's only when NTs accuse us of being "lazy" or not "trying hard enough", when nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's more common for the occasional NT to exploit their "popularity privilege" in a workplace setting and do far less than others, but they seldom get called out on it :(

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:47 pm

NTs are better at manipulating others in order to satisfy their..greed, gluttony, pride,lust, envy, and wrath, than are autistics. But do they have more of that than autistics? I doubt it.

And autistics exhibit sloth pretty much the same ways as do NTs.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:57 pm

I'd argue that the very fact that you'd post this is evidence against your theory with regards to pride, at least. Autistic people are just as capable as NTs of coming up with justifications for thinking of yourself as better than others.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

We are all the same when it comes to motivation to sin.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2021, 8:22 pm

I've spent a lot of time in "power NT" worlds, and only recently become "likely aspie." So I don't yet speak "WP-ese."

They are uniformly NT's & competitivly "soul" cannibals. Their 7DS's are posturings for their "7 Dear Opportunities" to graze and prey on Donny's suckers, which the believe all others to be! Everything is zero sum to them.

My confessed reflex to "always help" (an aspie trait I'm being told) puts me on their cyclic consumables list. Not fun ever.

But they are themselves very gullable & vulnerable to others "sucker ploys." Not ones to team with ever.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 11:36 pm

Ettina wrote:
I'd argue that the very fact that you'd post this is evidence against your theory with regards to pride, at least. Autistic people are just as capable as NTs of coming up with justifications for thinking of yourself as better than others.

Touche'

Pride, envy, and little wrath. In his very post.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 12:25 am

ronglxy wrote:
But they are themselves very gullable & vulnerable to others "sucker ploys." Not ones to team with ever.

That's because we are all human and very prone to biological urges

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:16 am

What the hell is wrath?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:24 am

babybird wrote:
What the hell is wrath?

it's like a wrap....except you substitute th for p

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:36 am

:lol:

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:32 am

Let's see

Lust
I am a sexual being, but not overly so. I've never had any affairs behind my partners back.
Gluttony
That's excess eating? I often forget to eat so no. I may be a tad overweight but not to an extent that docs are concerned or anythng.
Greed
I've never cared about money. Perhaps because I've always had enough of it.
Sloth
This may be my cardinal sin.
Wrath
I rarely get angry, and if I do I usually keep it to myself. I never fight.
Envy
Nope, I'd say good for you if you strike it rich or land a good job. It doesn't affect me.
Pride
Look. I've been raised in a country where there is the Law of the Jante. Pride is not on the map.

But that's me, it says nothing about autistics vs NTs.

/Mats

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

Jayo wrote:
Are NTs more susceptible to "the 7 deadly sins"?
It depends on the sin, and how often a person is presented with opportunities to commit that sin.

The "7 Deadly Sins" are:

1. Vainglory / pride.
2. Greed / covetousness.
3. Lust.
4. Envy.
5. Gluttony / drunkenness.
6. Wrath / anger.
7. Sloth.

Now, which of these sins are more likely to be presented to people who are socially adept, physically graceful, and emotionally in control; and which ones are more likely to be presented to people who are socially inept, physically clumsy, and prone to meltdowns?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:49 am

babybird wrote:
What the hell is wrath?
Anger expressed as physical rage.  It is possible to feel anger toward someone without going all ape-shirt over it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 12:30 pm

Short answer: it depends on the person.

Long answer: it depends on the person.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm

Collectively, as others have hinted at, desire to commit a sin vs. ability to actually do it are two separate things. In fact, some people may not even feel tempted until the opportunity arises.

For instance, if you don't have any friends, then you'll never be tempted to use and abuse and mooch off of them. Doesn't mean you couldn't hypothetically be, just that the opportunity never presents itself, therefore the feeling or desire itself is never experienced.

So, when we talk about susceptibility, are we talking about having these feelings, or having the opportunity to act upon them, or being in a situation where they could come into play? The starving beggar will never get to know if he'd have been a glutton if food had always been readily available.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 1:00 pm

Well I had gluttony tonight. I had two pieces of bread with my tea and I'm stuffed full now. But I never get drunk because I don't use alcohol.

I don't have wrath but I have had to defend myself before by using physical force so maybe I get half a point for that.

I've had envy before but I don't really get it anymore to be honest. It's a waste of energy.

Lust I'm not sure about. I used to fall in love at the drop of a hat when I was younger.

Pride, well I would say that I'm proud of myself sometimes but not to the point of showing off

If sloth means lazy then I absolutely love being lazy. I think that if I've worked hard (and I am the only breadwinner in my household) then it is my right to be lazy when Ive earned enough to put food on the table.