Let's talk about these suggested MET police guidelines

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 3:51 am

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police’s advice for women to stay safe if they are approached by a lone police officer has landed flat online.

The Met advised women to “flag down a bus”, challenge the legitimacy of a lone plain-clothed police officer, or call 999 if they are concerned about a particular officer on Thursday.

The tips came the day after Sarah Everard’s killer Wayne Couzens was sentenced to a whole-life order for using his powers as a serving police officer to falsely arrest, kidnap, rape and murder her with his police belt.

Quote:
Comic Ken Cheng said: “Famously police officers have no recourse if you get on a bus; their badges, uniforms and weapons carry no authority there.”

Another noted how Couzens was a legitimate, serving police officer when he committed his crimes – and therefore calling the police to check his authority may not have helped the situation.

Source : https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 230d21fbce

1) What are the chances of a bus passing you at that exact moment? Especially if it's late or the buses in your area are infrequent.

2) Is the attacker really gonna wait for you to call a slow moving bus over?

3) Some bus drivers won't stop if you're not at a bus stop.

4) What is the bus driver supposed to think? Are they meant to assume you're in danger rather than legitimately being arrested?

:?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Oct 2021, 4:00 am

Official advice on how to live in fear and distrust.
WTF.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:12 am

Because buses are always there to be flagged down?

Useless.

I vote for a policy that no officer ever works alone, and that women all know that no legitimate officer will ever approach them solo.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Oct 2021, 4:13 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Because buses are always there to be flagged down?

Useless.

I vote for a policy that no officer ever works alone, and that women all know that no legitimate officer will ever approach them solo.
And men, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2021, 11:35 am

Women here have been advised multiple times to dial 911 when getting pulled over if one feels unsafe or uncertain. We've had issues with police impersonators (including blue & red lights in the front grill like an unmarked cop car) every few years. That said, I can't imagine an officer calmly waiting while I fumble with my phone, call, wait for an answer, & so on while he's walking to my car & standing outside my window tapping on the glass.

(I realize this is my location related vs the OP's location, but I'm feeling talkative. :-) )

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

So the cops tell you to flee a cop you don't trust.
Then they turn around and tell the gold badge gang that flight justifies violence.

Fix the f*****g problem so people can actually trust the police and don't need to risk their safety fleeing some scumbag with a badge.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 6:13 pm

^^^ valid concern.

What a friggin trap

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 7:11 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Women here have been advised multiple times to dial 911 when getting pulled over if one feels unsafe or uncertain. We've had issues with police impersonators (including blue & red lights in the front grill like an unmarked cop car) every few years. That said, I can't imagine an officer calmly waiting while I fumble with my phone, call, wait for an answer, & so on while he's walking to my car & standing outside my window tapping on the glass.

(I realize this is my location related vs the OP's location, but I'm feeling talkative. :-) )

It's not just women, police impersonators are weirdly common, lots of rural departments have problems with them pulling people over and lecturing them on their driving as a pure power trip, it's bizarre. We actually had quite an incident in Seattle in the early 00s, the son of a cop who died used his dad's old uniform and the fact he was known around the station to steal a marked patrol car and badge his way into nightclubs (he was underage at the time), he got caught and tried to get away in a high speed chase that culminated in a collision on the freeway and a wild gunfight between two cops who each though the other was the imposter.