Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:38 am

carlos55 wrote:
The idea that cults only belong to religion is long outdated.

Social media allow like minded people to communicate, also people tend to go to places online that share their views which re-enforces beliefs on a subject.

The result is an explosion of multiple political and SJW cults in recent years.

I agree with the above.

I'd add, it mostly centers on what our reality as a species has been for over 100,000 years which was small tribes (Dunbar numbers where everyone knew everyone), far more harsh Darwinian conditions where social cohesion meant everything and - if everyone else believed in BS - you needed to as well to survive.

Cultish behavior actually seems to grab social butterflies more because they're tuned up much more intensely in this direction (can't remember who Sam Harris had on discussing the topic of cults a few years back, might have been the author of 'Remembering Satan', but he said this much - that it's not mentally ill people as often as people would think but rather very social people who join and hold up cults).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin