Downsides of working in the restaurant industry

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2021, 10:27 am

There's front of house (bartners, waitresses, etc). And back of house (the cooks). I'll be talking about the back of the house.

1) Limited skill ceiling. You start in the $10-15 hour range. Most chefs cap out at like $20. Sure, there are some super prestigious restaurants that may pay more, but most people can't expect that.

2) Uneven pace. When it gets busy, you get overwhelmed, could work for hours on end without any break or even a moment to rest. Labor laws are a formality unfortunately. And when it's slow, it's boring.

3) It's messy, you'll have food all over you, and you won't smell good.

4) Work environment. It's hot and sweaty working near an oven. And in some restaurants, you have very limited space and lots of people bumping into each other.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:48 am

Angry customers

You have to clean things

Get burned

Slip and fall injuries

Uniform

Dead end job

Always have to be social,

"Customers always right"

Micromanaging

Having to stand up all shift

Dirty work

Hot and cold temperature

Getting treated like you are morally inferior

Repetitive labor

Loud noise

Boredom

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 7:14 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Angry customers

You have to clean things

Get burned

Slip and fall injuries

Uniform

Dead end job

Always have to be social,

"Customers always right"

Micromanaging

Having to stand up all shift

Dirty work

Hot and cold temperature

Getting treated like you are morally inferior

Repetitive labor

Loud noise

Boredom

Do you mean as a chef? Cause chefs don’t clean anything lol kitchen hands prep the food the chefs man/supervise/monitor the oven and stoves/microwave. It’s lonely I guess? But yummy and it’s working with your hands so must be fun or else go back to school.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 7:16 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
There's front of house (bartners, waitresses, etc). And back of house (the cooks). I'll be talking about the back of the house.

1) Limited skill ceiling. You start in the $10-15 hour range. Most chefs cap out at like $20. Sure, there are some super prestigious restaurants that may pay more, but most people can't expect that.

2) Uneven pace. When it gets busy, you get overwhelmed, could work for hours on end without any break or even a moment to rest. Labor laws are a formality unfortunately. And when it's slow, it's boring.

4) Work environment. It's hot and sweaty working near an oven. And in some restaurants, you have very limited space and lots of people bumping into each other.

Yah you say “behind” loudly when you’re behind people to avoid bumping?

What type of restaurant ? Thai Asian food cooks quickly.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 7:17 am

Minervx_2 wrote:

Yah you say “behind” loudly when you’re behind people to avoid bumping?

What type of restaurant ? Thai Asian food cooks quickly. Yah so? I have rosacea and I’m always burning up and I don’t get paid for that nor do any women going through menopause lol.