Missouri High School students petition for slavery’s return

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,266
Location: Seattle-ish

05 Oct 2021, 5:00 pm

Did the petition specifically mention slavery by race, or just generic slavery?


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 61,682
Location: Portland, Oregon

05 Oct 2021, 5:53 pm

Another reason to avoid certain areas of the US! :x


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 67
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,015

05 Oct 2021, 6:08 pm

Even "humanely" treated slaves had their children and spouses sold away, could not move or change their employment, etc. etc.

Rhiannon Giddens: Julie

There are still slave-like conditions here in south Florida, where migrant workers are brought in to work the fields and are housed in locked encampments, are not permitted to leave, have to buy their groceries with scrip, etc. These situations get exposed from time to time.

In regards to this in-poor-taste probably prank, kids will do almost anything to get attention.


_________________
paralysis by over-analysis


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

05 Oct 2021, 6:53 pm

blazingstar wrote:
In regards to this in-poor-taste probably prank, kids will do almost anything to get attention.


I wonder if they thought they wouldn't get caught? its basically a career killer for all of them.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,245
Location: Houston, Texas

05 Oct 2021, 6:57 pm

I would expect this in Springfield or the Bootheel of MO, but just outside of KC?


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,028
Location: Aux Arcs

05 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

MO is all predominantly snow white except for St.Lou and KC.
Once you leave the city limits of either of the big metro areas it’s all country music or religious stuff on the radio.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

05 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I would expect this in Springfield or the Bootheel of MO, but just outside of KC?


Also Southpark :lol:



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

05 Oct 2021, 11:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The owner slave power dynamics lends itself to abuse and makes “humane” treatment unlikely.


I've read accurate historical treatments of slaves in the US and I know why this being kept off the school curriculum (Why CRT is such a hot button topic) as what was done to them beggars belief (makes the Nazis look less like bloodthirsty predatory animals).



Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,796

11 Nov 2021, 8:22 am

Slavery was never actually outlawed. It was outlawed "except as punishment for a crime". Which explains a lot about the US prison system.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

14 Nov 2021, 12:58 am

Ettina wrote:
Slavery was never actually outlawed. It was outlawed "except as punishment for a crime". Which explains a lot about the US prison system.


And the NFL
https://nypost.com/2021/10/31/colin-kae ... x-special/



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,266
Location: Seattle-ish

14 Nov 2021, 1:05 am

cyberdad wrote:


You're really going to touch that? Even my liberal friends were wincing at that one, "yeah, being evaluated for a multi-million dollar contract is exactly the same thing as the slave trade, Kap", just complete cringe.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

14 Nov 2021, 1:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:


You're really going to touch that? Even my liberal friends were wincing at that one, "yeah, being evaluated for a multi-million dollar contract is exactly the same thing as the slave trade, Kap", just complete cringe.


Kaepernick just hit the Aussie news, I was listening to car radio when this came up.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,266
Location: Seattle-ish

14 Nov 2021, 2:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kaepernick just hit the Aussie news, I was listening to car radio when this came up.


I don't know how Netflix works down there, but check out the first few minutes of it if you can, between the bonkers comparison and the Afro Kap is sporting, it's tough to keep a straight face.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

14 Nov 2021, 4:17 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kaepernick just hit the Aussie news, I was listening to car radio when this came up.


I don't know how Netflix works down there, but check out the first few minutes of it if you can, between the bonkers comparison and the Afro Kap is sporting, it's tough to keep a straight face.


Yeah I have it and I can't watch it without raising an eyebrow. It is a little over the top to morph the "combine" in NFL draft with slave auctions, But I believe in freedom of self-expression and I think Kaerpernick is alluding to the power differential between billionaire white NFL team owners and coaches/trainers who screen and pick black players like they are at a slave auction. How Kaepernick feels is entirely his own perspective and I can understand what he means even if it took me a few times to re-watch as I couldn't quite process the comparison.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,266
Location: Seattle-ish

14 Nov 2021, 6:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yeah I have it and I can't watch it without raising an eyebrow. It is a little over the top to morph the "combine" in NFL draft with slave auctions, But I believe in freedom of self-expression and I think Kaerpernick is alluding to the power differential between billionaire white NFL team owners and coaches/trainers who screen and pick black players like they are at a slave auction. How Kaepernick feels is entirely his own perspective and I can understand what he means even if it took me a few times to re-watch as I couldn't quite process the comparison.


You can just come out and say it sucked you know, at the end of the day he's a multi-millionaire celebrity athlete attempting to squeeze out a few more moments of fame by pivoting to activism, it's okay to say he's not very good at it. Do you notice that he's really trying to be blacker than black, making a big deal out of his cornrows or Afro, the soul food, the wardrobe, and that's he's notably light skinned, kinda giving off a bit of a Shaun King vibe...


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,595

14 Nov 2021, 8:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You can just come out and say it sucked you know, at the end of the day he's a multi-millionaire celebrity athlete attempting to squeeze out a few more moments of fame by pivoting to activism, it's okay to say he's not very good at it. Do you notice that he's really trying to be blacker than black, making a big deal out of his cornrows or Afro, the soul food, the wardrobe, and that's he's notably light skinned, kinda giving off a bit of a Shaun King vibe...


I think it's slightly clumsy (kind of like Le Bron's handling of the Hong Kong protests). But his underlying intention is to send a mesage to the owners/fans on what he thinks. To me it's a free world and he's expressing himself.

On the other matter re: his skin tone? how different is he from other black sports stars who also promote black rights but live in white neighborhoods and date/marry non-black women? He's not really unique.