Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm

I just now came across the following article:

Be Your Own Boss: More Co-op Businesses Are Returning Workers’ Power by Alissa Quart, Mother Jones, September+October 2021.

Talks about a bunch of examples of worker-cooperatives, both current and historical.

Interesting, but, unfortunately, the article doesn't say much about how these businesses got their initial funding, or about how they initially got off the ground more generally.

At some point I will try to dig up some articles on how to start a worker cooperative.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 4:31 am

This is not really about formal business arrangement, it's about mindset. I'm trying to explain it here over and over again when see people wanting to be given a job, like they are at mercy of higher beings or something. You can be your own boss in many-many fields, work as an independent contractor or work with your mates as LLC co-founders or whatever.

Even though it might essentially be pretty much the same work for hire, dynamic is very different because this is a contract of legally equal entities, instead of employer/boss you have a client, you can negotiate terms, instead of being interrogated at the interview to determine if you are worthy enough to be an employee, you discuss terms of your contract and project details, you can fire your client and keep retainer/upfront payment if they violate your contract terms.

There are ways to work like this no matter what your field and formal education is, with little exceptions of highly regulated fields or if threshold of starting a business in terms of initial costs is too high for an individual/small team.

It worth mentioning that from what I understand this is harder in the US. You will have hard time to get a decent health insurance and will have to pay full amount to your retirement funds and stuff, in the US big companies match payments and sometimes minimal wage jobs partially paid by social security, so if you are bootstrapping as individual in the US it might be much more challenging.