Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspieangeldude
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Oct 2021, 4:17 pm

Ok so as soon as the dsm5 came out they didn’t change my asperger’s diagnosis to ASD as they were supposed to but instead for some reason said I still have the schizoaffective disorder, bipolar and ADHD and that I’ll have get retested for an ASD diagnosis. So does anyone at least “Think” I may qualify for a rediagnosis even though they changed the qualifications in the dsm-5? I mean I still collect info narrow interest (I don’t want to talk about it though) I don’t follow schedules anymore but still do things in the same order, I still stim from time to time, I’m able to get out and about and chat on this message board but don’t like having conversations on the phone or text, I don’t like unplanned appointments. I made eye contact easily but not anymore, I’m able to do math in my head though. I know no one can say for sure so I just need an opinion and if I don’t qualify I won’t leave y’all, I’ll just self diagnose myself since I know label or no label I’ll always have autism in my heart.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm

Aspieangeldude wrote:
Do I qualify for the ASD diagnosis with the new DSM-5?
You need to ask this question of an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:43 pm

Its worth noting that a few people diagnosed on the higher end of the Aspergers spectrum (DSMIV pre-2013) no longer meet the DSMV criteria for ASD.

One of the reasons (and correct me if I have interpreted this wrongly) was that the new diagnosis of ASD Level's 1-3 was mean't to identify/capture dysfunctional behaviour that required government assistance whether it be for assessment, diagnosis or treatment. Under DSMIV there was a bias toward funding autism and people diagnosed with Aspergers missed out on government money set aside for autism (particularly for early intervention).

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

The current identification (diagnosis) process is really no longer fit for purpose in my opinion. I speak as someone who is regularly part of clinical decision making in the respect. The criteria are far too narrow and rigid. The focus on dysfunction and pathology (as opposed to difference) means that many people who have developed sophisticated masking behaviour or who are 'hyper - empathetic' are often not given the right identification. The process is discriminatory in that respect. Worse still, some clinicians will move on to consider 'diagnosing' Bi Polar/Schizoaffective Disorsder or Personality Disorder because the person doesnt fit into these narrow criteria. I have worked with so many young people and adults who are misdiagnosed and provided with the wrong kind of support. The trauma of living in the PNT world is often compounded.

The sooner we move to a position of self identification or identification by a panel of neurodivergent people and their allies the better.

My identification (in the UK) was under ICD10 - the lead clinician seemed intent on covering all basis, writing in her report Aspergers/High Functioning Autism/Autism. Take your pick I guess.

When the NHS team that I work in makes a diagnosis we attach no functioning labels - its simply stated as Autism regardless of how the 'spikey profile' is.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 5:54 pm

Velorum wrote:
The criteria are far too narrow and rigid. The focus on dysfunction and pathology (as opposed to difference) means that many people who have developed sophisticated masking behaviour or who are 'hyper - empathetic' are often not given the right identification. The process is discriminatory in that respect. .

I'm curious? if infants or children learn to unconsciously template NT behaviour imitating at a young age is it possible they don't even consciously realise they have neurological differences? that these differences manifest/externalise in other ways not aligned with current diagnostic criteria (whether ICD10 or DSMV)?

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 6:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Velorum wrote:
The criteria are far too narrow and rigid. The focus on dysfunction and pathology (as opposed to difference) means that many people who have developed sophisticated masking behaviour or who are 'hyper - empathetic' are often not given the right identification. The process is discriminatory in that respect. .

I'm curious? if infants or children learn to unconsciously template NT behaviour imitating at a young age is it possible they don't even consciously realise they have neurological differences? that these differences manifest/externalise in other ways not aligned with current diagnostic criteria (whether ICD10 or DSMV)?

In my view -

They may not be able to form a mental construct of these differences or name them but they are likely to suffer stress, anxiety and trauma as a result. This may manifest as a form or dysregulation or stress reaction that leads to the aforementioned mis diagnosis.

In the work that I do related to identification, I endeavour to be tenacious and thorough - ensuring that there is a good level of triangulation involving at least two other assessors. Sometimes we dont totally agree and the process takes a long time until a concensus is reached. Thats OK - we dont want to miss anyone.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community