Facebook puts ‘profits before people’

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Facebook whistleblower: Company puts ‘profits before people’.

Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen testified about the social media company and accused them of putting "profits before people" during a Senate hearing on protecting children on the internet.Oct. 6, 2021

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/whist ... aboolafeed

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:26 pm

Kind of a no-brainer, isn't it? Profit first is the capitalist way.

Until, at least, the bad publicity puts the profits at risk. Or the unhappy people put the profits at risk. Both of which are unlikely to happen when a company enjoys something of a monopoly.

And so, oversimplifying by a lot, sometimes regulations and laws are needed to help keep the free market from its worst instincts.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:52 am

Pepe... I thought you conservatives were supposed to worshipfully defend big business to your final breath!! !

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 1:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe... I thought you conservatives were supposed to worshipfully defend big business to your final breath!! !

Strangely enough, that's become the liberal position, at least when it comes to tech companies and how they moderate. Personally, I'm in favor of some kind of public utility style regulation, like the phone companies not being able to deny service because they don't like what you're saying over their lines, but strangely this idea turns liberals into libertarians, it's the oddest thing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer, I thought you regressive progressives were for the "little" people. 8O

You do realise that facebook is a shill for the left, right?
It helped Uncle Joe to get in and suppressed the Truth about the origins of the Wuhan Virus to discredit Trump.

God, I hate big business, particularly the sanctimonious hypocritical ones. :roll: :mrgreen:

BTW, I am not a conservative.
I am an Independent. 8)

Last edited by Pepe on 09 Oct 2021, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:27 am

I hold the view that facebook is rather sinister.

If MI6, CIA, FBI, Mossad or some other similar body sent you a questionare which filling is is optional which asks

Who do you know, what are your interests, where do you go on holiday, when did you get drunk last, who are you in a relationship with and a series of other personal questions.

Also if a company like a bank sent you the same form you would be likely to bin it.

Most people would stick it in the circular filing system (waste paper bin), but people fill in the same information into facebook. I hold the view that the facebook company are rather happy to gather information about their users and I suspect that they are looking for methods of making profit from the information.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:44 am

Netflix currently has a brilliant free movie out on YouTube of how social media manipulates people. It's really worth watching. It's a bit slow to start, but then it gets interesting.

Here it is.

Seriously, watch it. It's very good.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:53 am

Oh no...how could a company like amazon ever put profits before people, I would have never in my life guessed that...

what a cray cray, suprse.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:39 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer, I thought you regressive progressives were for the "little" people. 8O

You do realise that facebook is a shill for the left, right?
It helped Uncle Joe to get in and suppressed the Truth about the origins of the Wuhan Virus to discredit Trump.

God, I hate big business, particularly the sanctimonious hypocritical ones. :roll: :mrgreen:

BTW, I am not a conservative.
I am an Independent. 8)

Oh no, I never said you were wrong. I was just surprised.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:41 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Strangely enough, that's become the liberal position, at least when it comes to tech companies and how they moderate. Personally, I'm in favor of some kind of public utility style regulation, like the phone companies not being able to deny service because they don't like what you're saying over their lines, but strangely this idea turns liberals into libertarians, it's the oddest thing.

I never said Pepe was wrong. I was just surprised by his anti- big business stance.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 1:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I never said Pepe was wrong. I was just surprised by his anti- big business stance.

Oh, I see.
Misunderstanding.

I have been anti-big business for years.
I even had "I hate big business" in my signature, at one time.

It was the royal commission into the banking and superannuation industries that turned my stomach when the degree of corruption came to the forefront.

Part of the reason I don't vote conservative, (well, I don't vote for anyone these days,) is that the conservative party, here in Australia, was protecting the banks.
It was like pulling teeth trying to get the royal commission.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 1:59 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, I see.
Misunderstanding.

It was the royal commission into the banking and superannuation industries that turned my stomach when the degree of corruption came to the forefront.

Part of the reason I don't vote conservative, (well, I don't vote for anyone these days,) is that the conservative party, here in Australia, was protecting the banks.

Never forget, you'll always have a home among the left. :mrgreen:

LiverpoolAspergian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm

This does not surprise me, since Facebook makes most of it's revenue from selling user data to advertisers (who in turn make targeted advertisements). I thought it was all exposed with Edward Snowden and the fact that Cambridge Analytica were manipulating elections in other countries.

I do not trust Facebook, that's why I do not use it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, I see.
Misunderstanding.

But do I have to jettison my rational thinking and independent mindset? :scratch:

Regardless, you will always be my favourite pet progressive. :heart:
Here, have a treat. :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's weird how this issue makes conservatives stop imitating libertarians and start advocating for regulations and makes liberals start imitating libertarians. It's almost like most of them (in both blocs) are either full of s**t or haven't thought about it much more deeply than how it impacts their own immediate interests.

But since they're people that probably is the case. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh, I see.
Misunderstanding.

But do I have to jettison my rational thinking and independent mindset? :scratch:

Regardless, you will always be my favourite pet progressive. :heart:
Here, have a treat. :mrgreen:

Jettison all rational and independent thought? I think you've gotten conservatives confused with liberals! :mrgreen: