How do you keep new relationships platonic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2021, 11:30 pm

How do you do it? I'll get in conversations with a female I meet at work and unexpectedly they'll confess to me. Maybe it's because I'm charasmatic about my interests or if I have some mysterious bad boy aura, idk. I just try to be engaging and nice but I feel guilty because I rarely make a point to deliberately let them down because I don't want to make it akward. The sad part is many of the woman that I attract are very beautiful and usually have a nice personality, but initiating close relationships makes me too anxious. I feel guilty and I'm really stepping on my own foot by not pursuing anyone.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 12:45 am

I don't. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 1:09 am

Be uglier.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2021, 1:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Be uglier.

Maybe I'll shave my eyebrows...

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 3:09 am

I have a similar issue.

Women will stampede over each other to get to me.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2021, 10:02 am

Quote:
I rarely make a point to deliberately let them down because I don't want to make it awkward.

Their emotions are their responsibility - not yours. It's on them to accept it and move on.

It's 100% your right to reject someone if you're not interested. Of course, you do it as respectfully as you can, but it's better to be honest that you're not interested than to be ambigious and them feeling led on.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 10:40 am

Story of my life. It is doubly hard when you are a woman and don't have many friends so you try to be friendly and nice to people but they think it is flirting.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2021, 2:00 am

AprilR wrote:
Story of my life. It is doubly hard when you are a woman and don't have many friends so you try to be friendly and nice to people but they think it is flirting.

It's the worst when it's your friends partner coming on to you. I also seem to attract married woman, it's horrible because they'll be head over heels over me but I have no respect for that behavior.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2021, 2:03 am

One of the problems that comes from this is when I meet a woman that I do want to pursue but she won't talk to me because she thinks I'm a narcissistic a***h*** who sleeps around with everyone when that's furthest from the truth.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 8:27 am

Relax_on_Standby wrote:
AprilR wrote:

It's the worst when it's your friends partner coming on to you. I also seem to attract married woman, it's horrible because they'll be head over heels over me but I have no respect for that behavior.

Wow that's disgusting. I have (hopefully) never experienced this, unless someone who asked me out was secretly married and i didn't know. But i know people who flirt with multiple guys at once and even that seems so shallow and insincere to me.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:24 pm

Relax_on_Standby wrote:
How do you do it? I'll get in conversations with a female I meet at work and unexpectedly they'll confess to me. Maybe it's because I'm charasmatic about my interests or if I have some mysterious bad boy aura, idk. I just try to be engaging and nice but I feel guilty because I rarely make a point to deliberately let them down because I don't want to make it akward. The sad part is many of the woman that I attract are very beautiful and usually have a nice personality, but initiating close relationships makes me too anxious. I feel guilty and I'm really stepping on my own foot by not pursuing anyone.

Hot people problems, can't relate.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 12:07 am

AprilR wrote:
Relax_on_Standby wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Wow that's disgusting. I have (hopefully) never experienced this, unless someone who asked me out was secretly married and i didn't know. But i know people who flirt with multiple guys at once and even that seems so shallow and insincere to me.

I once had a married man flirt with me in front of his son..... in a church. I was really tempted to ask him if his wife knew what he was doing :roll:

Sorry I don't have any practical advice.... I also told a male friend that I wanted to hang out just as friends, and he took that as a challenge :lol:

I usually end up cutting contact with persistent unrequited crushes. Unless someone can get over it, they never end well :(

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:10 am

Relax_on_Standby wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Be uglier.

Maybe I'll shave my eyebrows...

Yes, that's totally guaranteed to work.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:23 pm

I also don't have any good advice to give to you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:31 pm

If this an issue for you (and you are certainly not obliged to entertain unwanted attention) then just be good humoured and pleasant in blocking their advances.

A few suggestions
- "you like my clothes! so does my girlfriend! she picked it for me
- "you want to to know a little more about me? well I've been dating Sara for a few years now"
- "no I don't have a girlfriend, I broke up recently and am feeling like not pursuing anyone"
- "gosh! does anyone know a good treatment for herpes?"

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 11:12 am

Wear a wedding ring.