Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 10:02 pm

MaxE wrote:
My biggest complaint about Boris is that he refuses to give me the number of his hairdresser. Selfish swine!

Well...you can always find a furry road kill animal, and put it on your head!

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:50 am

As a Brit I’m not keen on Borris Johnson either but I dislike Labour Kier Starmer more.

The weird thing about politics in UK and US is when a party is elected they sit on their base and reach over the other side, I believe this is essential to ensure they get voted in again

So vote Labour and get Tories like with the Blair gov which made lots of rich people richer.

The same seems to be true in the US that has got a Trump 2nd term under Biden with his anti China policy and a few other things I heard that can’t recall.

Funny old world politics

- George Bernie Shaw

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 8:57 am

carlos55 wrote:
As a Brit I’m not keen on Borris Johnson either but I dislike Labour Kier Starmer more.

The weird thing about politics in UK and US is when a party is elected they sit on their base and reach over the other side, I believe this is essential to ensure they get voted in again

So vote Labour and get Tories like with the Blair gov which made lots of rich people richer.

The same seems to be true in the US that has got a Trump 2nd term under Biden with his anti China policy and a few other things I heard that can’t recall.

Funny old world politics

I don't see Biden as "anti-China" the way Trump seemed to be. It was Trump's apparent aim to inspire animosity towards China and Chinese people in general. If you're thinking about Biden's geopolitical moves in East Asia, I would say that in today's world, he's doing more or less what's expected of him and has the support of most Western leaders.

To me the real problem is that people in general have a notion of what they want government to do (for them) but no real concept of what the role of government ought to be, so they're doomed to dislike whatever government they end up with. I said people "in general" because plainly "small government" types have vey definite albeit simplistic ideas about that, but they don't represent most people one encounters in everyday life.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 10:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
I don’t like him either and I’m from the US.Shouldn't his name be something other than Boris if he’s “quintessentially English”?
Something like Graham or Nigel?

Its actually Alexander, and his friends, family and those that work around him know him as Al. The whole 'boris' act was stale and tired years ago yet it still seems to pull the wool over some voters eyes. The bloke is one of the biggest fraudsters to hold high office here.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 12:10 pm

/\He looks like a used car salesman.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 2:11 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\He looks like a used car salesman.

And a very dodgy one at that. He's the kind that uses newspaper and filler to hide rust holes in the sills (yes, they really used to do things like this) and sawdust in the engine oil to hide how knackered the it really is (not kidding here either, they really did this too).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 9:17 pm

/\Or black pepper or mustard in the radiator to stop a leak.It works, long enough to unload it on someone.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 9:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\Or black pepper or mustard in the radiator to stop a leak.It works, long enough to unload it on someone.

what no powdered aluminum ?

where ever you go ,there you are

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:27 pm

carlos55 wrote:

Funny old world politics

it's not weird at all but almost universal in the western world. the point being tgat the moderate right/conservatives and the moderate left form "the center", and that center is meant to protect a certain status quo of a globalized economy from "far" left or right ideas.
The most remarkable thing is that some far right (I mean, the fascist far right) ideas are the same as far left ones, like universal healthcare (in the fascist version exclusively for "us", whoever "we" is) - while the centre parties either deconstruct existing systems or hinder them from getting implemented in the first place.

and that's the point where you should realize that talking about right, left and centre obfuscates something: centre isn't actual the middle way between extremes, it's the neoliberal mainstream.
So, whether you vote for Blair or Trump, Schroeder or Thatcher or Metkel or Obama - and now Scholz in Germany - none of these actually provide anything fundamentally different. They're neoliberal mainstream. If you want ideas that differ, you have to look beyond the two centre parties which provode the illusion of choice - and to the "extreme" parties. The problem is, reasonable ideas that are not neoliberal are lumped in and labelled "extreme" together with neo-nazis and royalists (okay, I admit, that may appear less weird in the UK, but it is, in 2021, really, really weird).
So, I don't know where to look, but not at either of the big, centrist parties.
Both Corbyn and Bernie Sanders tried to re-infuse their respective parties with some of those reasonable "extremist" ideas, and were labelled crazy communists for it.

But the real illuaion is, of course, that we can go on another ten years without some actually lunatic fascist (not buffoons like Johnson or Trump) getting into office in some important country. (who cares about Hungary, Poland, Belarus, Austria, and so on...)