Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:25 pm

Thank you all for the input, perspectives and responses.

I like the solutions offered, (pamphlets, or citing a famous person, educating) and they'll help me when this crops up again, because it will.

I really appreciate the compassion and empathy offered here too. I am on the very sensitive side, and things really affect me, so hearing others share their experiences, perspectives, or just respond in kind and supportive ways has helped immensely, not to mention shedding different lights on the matter. :heart:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:26 pm

The "Dopey One" could be an entertaining famous possibly-Autistic person to cite. Or, even if you don't work him into a conversation I think it is interesting to read about his possible Autism.

"Dopey One" is apparently how his parents referred to him when he was young. It sounds likely he was on the Autism Spectrum but he didn't speak 'til he was almost three so doesn't that mean he probably had something with more severe symptoms than Asperger's?

In the long run, he seems to have done OK.

----The "Dopey One"
----A Truly Beautiful Mind Questions and Answers
----Was he Autistic?

P.S. Please don't lead anyone to believe most Auties are as accomplished as the famous might-have-been-Autistics. After I found out about them it took awhile for my crushed ego to recover. I finally worked my way to the realization that those famous might-have-been-Autistics tower over everyone--Auties and NTs alike.

P.P.S. But, I do like to remember this quote.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

I'm the court-jester of my place of employment :jester:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:09 pm

Hugs. Irony: Education is not so educated. I'm a new sub this year and subbed for a Kindergarten Autism class and it was sad to me. The kids' were not challenged and in their idleness "misbehaved". The teachers (all NT) did waaaay more dictating than instructing. So sad. The kids would be communicating to them (mostly non-verbally) and it went right past the regular teachers. The teachers weren't paying attention or it's the double mind-blindness. I could see the students trying to engage. A friend of mine got burnt out at a private school (in SJ) and is now in IT. Another friend (in MA) is toughing it out for now. I have a professor friend who as a student received (reluctant) accommodations, but as a professor is not ("we just do that for students"). In general, when there is ignorance, I would like to say my piece with confidence (compassion, insight), but more often than not, I followed the Code of Silence in a toxic environment :| . Some hope: I subbed in the Special Education of a different elementary where the kids were clearly respected and the teachers mutual respect for each other was also evident. We need more of that!! I am finding my voice too. I bet "comic relief" is more appropriate (underlying respect) in some environments and less so in an ignorant or overly competitive one. Good luck finding what works for you for validation (and to feel safe). i see you've already received tons of suggestions, so my post is simply relating.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:03 pm

SharonB wrote:
Hugs. Irony: Education is not so educated. I'm a new sub this year and subbed for a Kindergarten Autism class and it was sad to me. The kids' were not challenged and in their idleness "misbehaved". The teachers (all NT) did waaaay more dictating than instructing. So sad. The kids would be communicating to them (mostly non-verbally) and it went right past the regular teachers. The teachers weren't paying attention or it's the double mind-blindness. I could see the students trying to engage. A friend of mine got burnt out at a private school (in SJ) and is now in IT. Another friend (in MA) is toughing it out for now. I have a professor friend who as a student received (reluctant) accommodations, but as a professor is not ("we just do that for students"). In general, when there is ignorance, I would like to say my piece with confidence (compassion, insight), but more often than not, I followed the Code of Silence in a toxic environment :| . Some hope: I subbed in the Special Education of a different elementary where the kids were clearly respected and the teachers mutual respect for each other was also evident. We need more of that!! I am finding my voice too. I bet "comic relief" is more appropriate (underlying respect) in some environments and less so in an ignorant or overly competitive one. Good luck finding what works for you for validation (and to feel safe). i see you've already received tons of suggestions, so my post is simply relating.

Thank you for your desperately needed work with autistic children.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:12 pm

Well, you can either go up to them,start a fistfight, or a verbal confrontation, and maybe get fired, or can just ignore it.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

Double Retired- I have some research to do! :)

Kraftiekortie- thank you for sharing.

Sharon B- having another educator weigh in and relate is very welcome. Thank you.

Theprisoner- Very true.

The more I'm thinking about this and these responses, the more helpful all the different perspectives are. There are going to be many different situations in the future where I will bump up against this again. Knowing some different ways to handle it for different scenarios are invaluable.