Parole board asks TX Gov to pardon George Floyd re '04 bust

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 11:54 am

What would a posthumous pardon for Floyd achieve?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:06 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think you are stretching a lot to get to the conclusion you want to get to. This isn't a mercy offer; it was part of an official review on the actions of a corrupt cop. The guilty plea is not meaningful; people plead guilty to trumped up charges all the time because they simply don't see an option. I can't say if his hands were perfectly clean, but clean enough for the district attorney to sign off on the clemency request. District attorneys and parole boards don't make these recommendations for politics or to be nice; they do it because their departments failed someone and they do not believe justice was served. Why do you insist on second guessing them?

I do my own thinking.

Just like if governor Abbot rejects the request, I expect you won't blindly follow his authority.

Be the hero of your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:26 pm

In actuality, a pardon is often given even in the face of a person's acknowledgement that he/she actually committed the crime.

It's true that guilt or innocence has no relevance in this.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:38 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I think you are stretching a lot to get to the conclusion you want to get to. This isn't a mercy offer; it was part of an official review on the actions of a corrupt cop. The guilty plea is not meaningful; people plead guilty to trumped up charges all the time because they simply don't see an option. I can't say if his hands were perfectly clean, but clean enough for the district attorney to sign off on the clemency request. District attorneys and parole boards don't make these recommendations for politics or to be nice; they do it because their departments failed someone and they do not believe justice was served. Why do you insist on second guessing them?

I do my own thinking.

Just like if governor Abbot rejects the request, I expect you won't blindly follow his authority.

I assume, then, that you have read all the information that never made it to court because it was concealed or altered by the corrupt cop?

We don’t have the information required to pass judgement on this. In the absence of that, the question becomes, to me, who is likely to be making the most honest, non-political assessment, and what are they saying?

It is impossible to live without ever defaulting to trusting someone else’s judgement. Your position relies on assumptions grounded in someone else’s rendering of the details, just like mine does. Your trust is in the judge who oversaw the case decades ago, mine is in the professionals who did an updated review.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

Color me skeptical that in investigating this dirty cop, it's pure coincidence that this case would come up so rapidly.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 12:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I assume, then, that you have read all the information that never made it to court because it was concealed or altered by the corrupt cop?

No evidence was required.

No evidence was concealed or altered.

Because Floyd pled guilty.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 12:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In actuality, a pardon is often given even in the face of a person's acknowledgement that he/she actually committed the crime.

So what does?

There're likely hundreds of criminals in prison now for the same crime as Floyd, should they all be pardoned?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:06 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

No evidence was required.

No evidence was concealed or altered.

You keep saying that, but its a false equivalent.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 2:34 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

I think you are practicing selective skepticism. it's not rocket science that cops coerce false confessions, you are selectively choosing to be skeptical about the evidence because it goes against your narrative that the police are always right when it comes to black people.

I bet if Chauvin murdered Floyd behind a dark alley with no cameras and made up some story you'd believe him.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 4:47 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

So what does?

There're likely hundreds of criminals in prison now for the same crime as Floyd, should they all be pardoned?

If the facts are similar and the same officer was involved, they are probably on the same recommended pardon list.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 4:50 am

Dox47 wrote:
Color me skeptical that in investigating this dirty cop, it's pure coincidence that this case would come up so rapidly.

Skepticism seems warranted.

I wonder how many names on going on the same list.

But I am remain comfortable assuming, unless more comes out, a pardon recommendation is the right call for the facts in the case. We all have to decide where we're going to spend our energy, and where we'll leave the powers that be to their work.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
If the facts are similar and the same officer was involved, they are probably on the same recommended pardon list.

There are no facts this officer did anything wrong.

Law enforcement can set people up.

The FBI does this.

Like when they provide people with phony bombs, and then arrest them based on what they do with the phony bombs.

Did The FBI Transform This Teenager Into A Terrorist After Reading His Emails?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ni ... -terrorist

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
I think you are practicing selective skepticism. it's not rocket science that cops coerce false confessions, you are selectively choosing to be skeptical about the evidence because it goes against your narrative that the police are always right when it comes to black people.

Police did not coerce a false confession, Floyd voluntarily pleaded guilty before a judge.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:58 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

There are no facts this officer did anything wrong.

Law enforcement can set people up.

The FBI does this.

Like when they provide people with phony bombs, and then arrest them based on what they do with the phony bombs.

Did The FBI Transform This Teenager Into A Terrorist After Reading His Emails?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ni ... -terrorist

And, yet, the legal professionals consider the actions of the officer to have been inappropriate and corrupt. Sorry, but I trust their legal assessment and their study of the case details a lot more than I trust your opinion. You can stop repeating your position; your position is noted, but we aren't going to agree.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:57 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Police did not coerce a false confession, Floyd voluntarily pleaded guilty before a judge.

ummm that's how false confessions work.