Mandatory vaccination bill to go before parliament in NSW

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Overview of Bill
The object of this Bill is to amend the Public Health Act 2010 to provide for the payment of compensation to workers who suffer injury, loss or damage as a result of a requirement to be vaccinated.

[..]

Amendment of Public Health Act 2010 No 127
Section 137
Insert after section 136—
137 Liability to workers required to be vaccinated
(1) This section applies if a relevant body requires a worker to be vaccinated against a disease prescribed by the regulations.
(2) The relevant body is liable to pay compensation to the worker for any injury, loss or damage suffered by the worker as a result of the vaccine.
(3) The relevant body continues to be liable to pay compensation to the worker until the worker’s death, even if the worker ceases to be employed or otherwise engaged by the relevant body.
(4) In this section—
relevant body, in relation to a worker, means the person or body that employs or otherwise engages the worker.
worker of a relevant body includes a person engaged by, or on behalf of, the relevant body under a contract for services, but does not include a volunteer.

Source: https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/bill/files/3835/First%20Print.pdf

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 11:43 pm

More places need to do this, it will be fun watching the anti covid/anti vaxxers having a tantrum about it and go all Karen. I will be waiting for the media to get entertaining again. I miss Trump.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 1:07 am

League_Girl wrote:
More places need to do this, it will be fun watching the anti covid/anti vaxxers having a tantrum about it and go all Karen. I will be waiting for the media to get entertaining again. I miss Trump.

Something tells me you read the subject, but not the actual content...

This bill should help encourage those who are hesitant, as it is designed to provide them a way to receive compensation from their employers if they suffer a side-effect from the injection should their employer mandate staff have it... Something missing in most areas of the world, and a contributing cause (however small) for people being hesitant about having the injections.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 9:15 am

That sounds good and I hope our provincial or federal government considers the same. We have a testing policy in place for those who choose not to get vaccinated as we are in a supply chain industry and workers are currently hard to find.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

Brictoria wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Something tells me you read the subject, but not the actual content...

This bill should help encourage those who are hesitant, as it is designed to provide them a way to receive compensation from their employers if they suffer a side-effect from the injection should their employer mandate staff have it... Something missing in most areas of the world, and a contributing cause (however small) for people being hesitant about having the injections.

I did read your post. Not the title.

Ah my bad.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Oh, ok.
So the concept of freedom of choice in what happens to a person's body is irrelevant?
It reminds me of the discussion, in America, about mandatory abortion.

I'm on the fence about this issue.
It isn't a binary good or bad situation, imo.
I don't have a problem with the mandatory vaccination, myself, but I am not "everybody". 8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:12 pm

Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Oh, ok.
So the concept of freedom of choice in what happens to a person's body is irrelevant?

I don't have a problem with the mandatory vaccination, myself, but I am not "everybody". 8)

I don't have a problem with mandatory vaccinations, this has been a requirement for ages in the US before covid vaccines so this is no different. Like you can't enroll your kid in school unless they are vaccinated. Of course there are exemptions like if a kid has an allergy to vaccinations. Then the schools cannot deny that child their education. But parents have found ways around it so I am sure they would with covid as well. But yes even parents have gone Karen over it long before Covid and I can remember it back in high school. The main reason was "I don't want my kid to be autistic." Then old diseases were coming back that had been extinct since the 1950s whenever vaccines for them came out. It's not illegal to not get vaccinated but places can make that a requirement like schools have. They won't throw you in jail here for not getting vaccinated but you could sure lose your job if your workplace requires it or if the state requires it because of the job you have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:18 pm

I think the "compensation" idea is a good one.

It would be fair to compensate a person if the person gets bad side-effects which arise from a mandatory vaccination.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Oh, ok.

I don't have a problem with mandatory vaccinations, this has been a requirement for ages in the US before covid vaccines so this is no different. Like you can't enroll your kid in school unless they are vaccinated. Of course there are exemptions like if a kid has an allergy to vaccinations. Then the schools cannot deny that child their education. But parents have found ways around it so I am sure they would with covid as well. But yes even parents have gone Karen over it long before Covid and I can remember it back in high school. The main reason was "I don't want my kid to be autistic." Then old diseases were coming back that had been extinct since the 1950s whenever vaccines for them came out. It's not illegal to not get vaccinated but places can make that a requirement like schools have. They won't throw you in jail here for not getting vaccinated but you could sure lose your job if your workplace requires it or if the state requires it because of the job you have.

I remember the days when it was mandatory to be inoculated for <insert relevant disease> before going overseas.
I don't remember any song and dance about that.

And, yes, here in Australia parents would lose child support if they didn't vaccinate their kids, also.
I suspect very few parents stood on principle.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:22 pm

In order to go to school in NY State----all public schools and all colleges/universities, though some religious schools don't require them---one must have a decently long list of vaccines.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think the "compensation" idea is a good one.

It would be fair to compensate a person if the person gets bad side-effects which arise from a mandatory vaccination.

It would be only "mandatory" if they want to keep their job.
At this stage, you don't have a Chinese style of "mandatory" at the point of a gun.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In order to go to school in NY State----all public schools and all colleges/universities, though some religious schools don't require them---one must have a decently long list of vaccines.

One of the concerns is that the covid vaccines are relatively new.
And was created at "Warp Speed", you might say.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

It was absolutely necessary to create those vaccines.

Maybe a bit too speedy.....but the main problem is that they don't absolutely prevent COVID, rather than causing severe side-effects. They do prevent severe disease, hospitalization, and death.

Yes, I do wish they prevented COVID like the polio vaccine prevents polio.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:49 pm

They now have chicken pox vaccines so my kids got one and never had chicken pox. They didn't have that vaccine out when I was a kid so I had them twice and it left me a couple of scars.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:59 pm

Good. While I'm all for allowing businesses to mandate vaccinations, I feel that they should be ready to be held liable if someone has a reaction to one they got just so they can attend work and they end up with a health issue. Any medication and procedure has potential risks, and if an employer is mandating some sort of procedure then they should account for the risks and be prepared to cover their employees if an adverse event happens.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 2:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was absolutely necessary to create those vaccines.

Maybe a bit too speedy.....but the main problem is that they don't absolutely prevent COVID, rather than causing severe side-effects. They do prevent severe disease, hospitalization, and death.

Yes, I do wish they prevented COVID like the polio vaccine prevents polio.

I heard there is a new pill that stops the coronavirus in its tracks.
There was some talk about needing only one pill for life.
Not sure if they are the same pill.