Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

My mother's ancestry can be traced back to the Teutonic Knights.
Just thought I should throw that in there. :mrgreen:

And I am not jousting joking. 8)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
My grandad served in combat in the trenches in France. Was even hospitalized for poison gas.

I always assumed that his stint as an interrogator was also there in France- just away from the front lines. Not back in Kansas. Though I could be wrong about that. They may well have sent him back home to recover from the gas attack- where he might have continued to serve the US Army by trying get intelligence out of POWs housed in Kansas. Will have to ask relatives about that. There are bits and pieces of family lore i recall hearing that could fit either way- now that you mention it.

I own a book published in the 1980s that covers life in the WWII POW camps in Nebraska and Kansas. There were similar camps in the previous war there also. You might want to look for something like that if it interests you. I cannot remember the title offhand though. It was an estate auction purchase. That is where I got some of my Kansas POW information. I have visited the camp remains at a few of the sites. Often there is just a plaque stating what was there at one time out in a farm field. The army did interrogate the prisoners while there to sort out which ones could be rehabilitated and which ones could not. Those that they deemed bad ones were sent on to heavily guarded camps elsewhere. After the war, there were several former POWs that married local girls after coming back. A few of them are mentioned in this book.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:46 pm

gosh darn it, i MISSED IT. verdammt! i wish to H my calendar would have these things on it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:51 pm

1/4 of my ancestors came from a little town in germany called Müller. they came over to america sometime in the great 1880s wave. they were hardy stock.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:24 am

auntblabby wrote:
gosh darn it, i MISSED IT. verdammt! i wish to H my calendar would have these things on it.

Scheiße dreck! 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
1/4 of my ancestors came from a little town in germany called Müller. they came over to america sometime in the great 1880s wave. they were hardy stock.

Bauer bleibt bauer. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:44 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Bauer bleibt bauer. 8)

my ancestors left the farm back in the 40s.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My grandad served in combat in the trenches in France. Was even hospitalized for poison gas.

I always assumed that his stint as an interrogator was also there in France- just away from the front lines. Not back in Kansas. Though I could be wrong about that. They may well have sent him back home to recover from the gas attack- where he might have continued to serve the US Army by trying get intelligence out of POWs housed in Kansas. Will have to ask relatives about that. There are bits and pieces of family lore i recall hearing that could fit either way- now that you mention it.

During WWII, my paternal grandfather, who was a farmer in rural eastern Washington where a number of Russian Germans had settled, had been asked to translate for the US military and German POWs. One of the German prisoners commented that he hadn't heard anyone speak that kind of German since his his own grandfather.
I've read that German colonists in Russia continued to speak the German of the early 19th century, whereas in Germany the language changed somewhat over time.