Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 1:49 am

I get to be celebrated for both sides of my family!

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:18 am

Funnily enough, I've just finished watching this video on YouTube celebrating German-American Day:

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I get to be celebrated for both sides of my family!

You are in good company Kraichie
The 49.8 million German-Americans are more than triple the 14.7 million Asians counted in the 2010 census according to Bloomberg's county-by-county analysis making up the largest share of their respective groups.

Americans of German descent top the list of U.S. ethnic groups, followed by Irish, 35.8 million; Mexican, 31.8 million; English, 27.4 million; and Italian, 17.6 million, the census shows.

I am only surprised Octoberfest isn't a national Holiday mein Freund?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 10:56 am

I’ll drink a beer to that and my German heritage.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 12:37 pm

My DNA contains German, British, French, Dutch, Cherokee, and Blackfoot.
There might be some Irish too, but I can't confirm.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 12:40 pm

Oddly enough we have only had two presidents of German descent. The first was "Iron Hewer" (Eisenhauer), and the second descended from a German immigrant named "Drumf" who changed his name when got off of the boat here in circa 1900. Changed it to "Trump".

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:06 pm

Fröhliche Deutschamerikanerstag! Vergiss nie deine Herkunft! Geh hinaus und iss Wurst und trink Bier!

(Happy German-American Day! Never forget your heritage! Go out and eat sausage and drink beer!)

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:45 pm

Will "ike" eisenhauer be attending? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I’ll drink a beer to that and my German heritage.

Und bratwurst für alle. :wtg:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

There's German in me.

The majority is Dutch and Russian/Jewish, though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:12 pm

Am mostly German ancestry. Dad was entirely German. His dad grew up speaking German on the farm in Kansas so when he served as an infantryman in the U.S. Army in the first world war they made him an interrogator of enemy POWs.

I was map geek as a child. Loved geography. I would stare at language maps of Europe (that show where languages are spoken). I noticed how the German language spills over the borders of Germany into nieghboring countries, like around the edges of the Czech Republic, and over into a slice of northeast France -around the French city with the German sounding name of Strasbourg. Turns out that some of my German ancestors came from that region of France in the 1800s. The region known as "the Alsace Lorraine" has changed hands between Germany and France for centuries, but is now part of France.

My parents got drawn into my obsession with the ethnolinguist map of Europe one time, and we all noticed that there are also odd little dots of the German language -sprinkled like drops of paint on a carpet- across the length of the Ukraine, European Russia, and into Central Asia. We all wondered why the heck there were little enclaves of Germans sprinkled that far from Germany into Russia like that.

Decades later I joined WP, and it turns out the Kraishgauer here has ancestors from one of the "paint droplets" on the map of Russia of Germans. He has talked about having ancestors from one of those communities. Never thought I would ever actually meet someone connected to that little piece of geographic oddness on the map. LOL!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's German in me.

The majority is Dutch and Russian/Jewish, though.

My maternal grandmother's family came from Prussia in north east Germany. Her maiden name was Abramovske. While her family were Lutherans, obviously somebody had converted from Judaism somewhere along the line.
My dad's people were Black Sea Germans: that is, mostly people from the Palatine dialect area of the Upper Rhine country (including the Kraichgau in northwest Baden-Wurttemberg) who had been invited to colonize the Black Sea region of southern Russia by the Czarist government, back during the Napoleonic period. When the Russians withdrew their welcome a few generations later, my folk and other Black Sea Germans went to America to live in the old west.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Am mostly German ancestry. Dad was entirely German. His dad grew up speaking German on the farm in Kansas so when he served as an infantryman in the U.S. Army in the first world war they made him an interrogator of enemy POWs.

I was map geek as a child. Loved geography. I would stare at language maps of Europe (that show where languages are spoken). I noticed how the German language spills over the borders of Germany into nieghboring countries, like around the edges of the Czech Republic, and over into a slice of northeast France -around the French city with the German sounding name of Strasbourg. Turns out that some of my German ancestors came from that region of France in the 1800s. The region known as "the Alsace Lorraine" has changed hands between Germany and France for centuries, but is now part of France.

My parents got drawn into my obsession with the ethnolinguist map of Europe one time, and we all noticed that there are also odd little dots of the German language -sprinkled like drops of paint on a carpet- across the length of the Ukraine, European Russia, and into Central Asia. We all wondered why the heck there were little enclaves of Germans sprinkled that far from Germany into Russia like that.

Decades later I joined WP, and it turns out the Kraishgauer here has ancestors from one of the "paint droplets" on the map of Russia of Germans. He has talked about having ancestors from one of those communities. Never thought I would ever actually meet someone connected to that little piece of geographic oddness on the map. LOL!

That includes my dad's people in the Black Sea region of Russia. Most of them spoke Pfalzisch or Palatine dialects, otherwise called the Rhine Franconian and South Rhine Franconian dialects.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:38 pm

I you had a good day.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Kansas had a large influx of German immigrants in the late 1800s-early 1900s, so I am not surprised at all. They settled there because it had available rich farmland. Near Hays, Kansas, there were many enclaves of Volga Germans. Their relatives still speak German when together at gatherings. During the World Wars, German POWs were held there because they could understand what the farmers wanted from them. There was no real risk of escape having the prisoners work outside the camp, as the local farmers would just turn them back in. Some former POWs came back to settle in the area, as they liked it so much from their previous time there.

While most of my ancestral roots are from Denmark and Scotland, I do have a very small portion of German ancestry. One of my great, great grandmothers was a Wickizer.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 5:15 pm

My grandad served in combat in the trenches in France. Was even hospitalized for poison gas.

I always assumed that his stint as an interrogator was also there in France- just away from the front lines. Not back in Kansas. Though I could be wrong about that. They may well have sent him back home to recover from the gas attack- where he might have continued to serve the US Army by trying get intelligence out of POWs housed in Kansas. Will have to ask relatives about that. There are bits and pieces of family lore i recall hearing that could fit either way- now that you mention it.