Do we have a definition of "special interest"?

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2021, 6:37 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
People get frustrated by their special interests all the time, but they just don't mention it often on threads because it's usually not a key element of having a "special interest", plus people get frustrated by normal interests and hobbies, too.

Personally, when I'm prompted to talk about my SIs and how they make me feel I talk mainly about the intense enjoyment, obsession and satisfaction they give me as those are the specific reasons they became a "special interest" in the first place, and I don't think to talk about the frustration I can get from them since that's usually very minor compared to the feelings that compel me to partake in the SI.

Is it important for you that your SI is free from demands and that you don't have a particular goal set in mind?
I have heard that if you have demands or a goal set in mind then it will no longer be an SI. This is why I don't have an SI.

I often have goals set in mind for my SIs and it's actually one of the key parts of my SIs. I am a huge "perfectionist" when it comes to them and like setting things to accomplish. I have never heard before that you can't set goals regarding an SI and it seems to me that people often do just that.

That's not what I said. I just said that too many demands can make you frustrated. Like if you trying to be the best darts player where you live. You may loose the fun of it and make it into a great demand. Perhaps it is something that is a reasonable goal but frustrations will come and you might not see it as a special interest anymore. It becomes very demanding.
I had darts as an interest but when I strated playing matches in a team it became too demanding. I quit eventually. It eventually took the fun out of it.
I liked the team members but I had to play a lot of darts. Too demanding. Just playing for fun couldn't exist like it did before.
Has anyone experinced this?
Can an special interest or an interest become too demanding? Will it still be your interest or special interest?