Would you consider these Sensory Issues

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jay123
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2021, 2:29 am

Hi, I have Asperger's and I don't seem to have the stereotypical sensory sensitivities, but I am hypersensitive to a lot of things such as Itching, This an is uncommon one Pain, sudden loud noises can make me jumpy, Butter touching my skin, certain foods and tastes make me feel nauseous , certain sights that gross me out, sweating really bothers me, headaches and colds are a bit bothersome. Most of them are pretty mild, I have very few overloads but they could stop me from functioning normally. Do these sound a bit weird to you?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:59 pm

Welcome to wrong planet.

Yes they are sensory issues and not uncommon for autistic people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2021, 2:14 pm

Most autistic people I've talked to have their own unique list of sensory issues. Some are more common than others, but that doesn't mean the less common issues are invalid.

For example, I've seen a lot of autists that need heavy blankets to have a comfortable sleep, but me I can't stand them. I much much much prefer lighter covers, stretched to the sides so that I can't feel them wrapping around me at all.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 2:19 pm

Those sound like sensory issues. Everyone has different ones, and some are more "common" than they might seem.

I personally don't have a lot of food texture/taste issues (as an adult), but if the texture or taste of something is different than usual I'll gag and not be able to eat it. I also cannot handle the feeling of being sweaty, and having sore throats + ear eaches mess with me more for sensory reasons than pain reasons.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 2:30 pm

Yup, agree with the posters here. You don't sound weird to me. You just sound like a normal autistic person. We all have our sensory things, some things we share, others may be unique only to you.

These things are things NT people think of as weird, but lucky for us, their measurement of what is typical in their world for their brain doesn't apply to us. :)