Have you ever been denied the whole point of Aspergers..?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2021, 10:32 am

Have you ever been denied the whole point of Aspergers and NOT been allowed to learn the subject you’re interested in?

What was it like?

What do you do when for whatever reason you can’t learn your topic?h

What would you do if learning it was a matter of life or death? As in learning a new language whilst studying abroad?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 10:46 am

Well, the power on our street was out for ten hours so--for that time period--our Internet connection was off and I couldn't do any research.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:19 am

Technic1 wrote:
Have you ever been denied the whole point of Aspergers and NOT been allowed to learn the subject you’re interested in?

What was it like?

What do you do when for whatever reason you can’t learn your topic?h

What would you do if learning it was a matter of life or death? As in learning a new language whilst studying abroad?

I assume your referring to academic learning or overbearing parents when your young.

These days the internet including YouTube makes learning so much easier than when I was growing up.

It’s basically unlimited.

- George Bernie Shaw

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:26 am

You lost me at "whole point of Aspergers " , i thought this was just a neuro-synapse-plasticity-wiring went awry due to environment toxins overload from pollution at an early age with maybe some genetic predisposition component involved. The point being there is that no point. it's just a chromosomal mutation. i don't get it, unless you live feral in the wilderness, live in a 3rd world country shanty town, or are being held hostage in a basement, what or who is going to deny you the opportunity to learn something?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 9:06 am

Is this really about denying special interests?

That's not exactly the whole point of aspergers. :lol:
Even though it's a very known one for being a 'purpose' of sorts, or one that brought a lot of joy to some.

As for not able to learn any subject that I'm not interested in...
Poverty mindset came to mind.

I never had a PC until I was 13. Never been in the internet until 14.
And the internet connection isn't reliable, stable nor affordable to keep going. Better than nothing.

It doesn't help that most of my special interests are usually expressed in practices and lean towards collecting, than verbalization and theories.

I can't practice any interests when it's too expensive to get my hands on it.
Sure I'd get creative to make an alternative. But I can't trust a house where I have to live in shared spaces.

And the way of how I express special interests isn't exactly most affordable.

Drawings and videos? Sure. But I prefer touch and sight and other real effects like trial and error. It may just frustrate me.

And why not just settle with books?
Other than it's a bit expensive, I can't exactly able to appreciate or read that well for most of my life -- even basic stories.
The special interest might as well be gone before I gain enough reading comprehension to appreciate any.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2021, 9:27 am

For different reasons, not being able to learn an interest-as an autistic?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:11 am

You dont mean "the point" of the condition. You mean a "symptom" of it. Namely special interests.

Never had an authority figure just flat out forbid me to study a special interest.

But I did go through an interesting evolution. A certain thing I dabbled in just took over, and became more than a hobby, and became an addiction worse than crack. Then one day I decided it was unproductive. Put it aside. Channelledd the same energy to something else. The something else did lead certain productive things.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

naturalplastic wrote:
You dont mean "the point" of the condition. You mean a "symptom" of it. Namely special interests.

Never had an authority figure just flat out forbid me to study a special interest.

But I did go through an interesting evolution. A certain thing I dabbled in just took over, and became more than a hobby, and became an addiction worse than crack. Then one day I decided it was unproductive. Put it aside. Channelledd the same energy to something else. The something else did lead certain productive things.

I mean our greatest strength