Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 2:19 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Disney is now trying to mine the "Expanded Universe" era of Star Wars that they themselves retconned for interesting ideas/characters to use in their own production. Will the rape of this franchise never end?

I've noticed that, they decided that it was all no longer canon but have also been pillaging it for anything they can cannibalize with no attempts (at least that I've seen) to credit the person responsible for whatever they've decided to awkwardly reinterpret.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 6:40 am

I don't know if it's Disnification as much as it is Moneyfication.

The first Star Wars was made for $11m - funded by people who fully expected to lose their money, or at the very best break even. It's hard to imagine but making a space movie was a really risky proposition. If it had failed the worst that would happen is that a small-time director would have struggled to get funding for anything else and some relatively unknown actors might have been passed over for subsequent projects.

The Last Jedi cost over $300m and not making a profit was unthinkable for its investors. Risks are essential for good cultural things. No-one has the ability to take risks when you have stakeholders like that involved. This would have happened under any studio, they're all businesses first and foremost.

My personal unpopular opinion about Star Wars (having first seen it at 18 and not having a nostalgic childhood attachment to it) is that all the criticisms levelled at the prequels (poor writing, crap humour etc.) can equally be levelled at the originals.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

"Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope" may have been made on the cheap; but nothing like it had ever been seen before.  It is arguably one of the best -- if not THE best -- of all Star Wars episodes, despite its rough edges.

But "Star Wars: Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back" marked the beginning of the downhill slide of the entire franchise; a slide that began slowly at first, and then accelerated into the careening downhill flaming dumpster-wreck of "Star Wars: Episode VIII -- The Last Jedi".

I get more entertainment from weeding my vegetable garden.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.