Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 5:39 pm

A few of us were talking in another thread about sharing our experience of WP.

I thought I'd start this and see if anyone wants to join in?

So, if you'd like to answer:
What have been your experience of WP?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 5:47 pm

My experience here has been fine. When I first came on here I was honestly off put by some transphobia, which still sometimes becomes a bit more prevalent than usual, but otherwise I don't have many issues. I do wish there were more people my age though, and that most of the activity wasn't political threads + other threads getting derailed into political arguments.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:12 pm

I've been here for 11 years and I've had both good and bad experiences.

I sometimes read the very old threads I wrote when I first joined, and I was so young and naive back then, that I said a lot of things here that unintentionally pissed people off. :oops: I have obviously learnt from those mistakes.

Sometimes this site can trigger off my depression, even more than Facebook. Some people convince me that nobody in real life likes me because I'm an Aspie, and that the few (offline) friends that I do have are all fakers just pretending to like me and all of that. I think this comes from people who are angry with society and sees all NTs as insensitive liars with no compassion. I don't see NTs like that. I see individuals, or sometimes certain groups of people, like that but not the entire NT population.

I've had good experiences here too. If it wasn't for WP I wouldn't have got my covid vaccinations. People here really made me feel confident about getting vaccinated.
Also people here have compassionate empathy and if I'm pouring my heart out people here do listen and take the time to reply with some nice things to say.

So, like Facebook, WP has it's good side and bad side. To stay on the good side, I try to avoid posting in PPR or the news section, and I try to be politically correct to avoid any arguments, accusations or hurt feelings, and I must work on not impulsively creating a new thread about whatever pops into my mind at the time because sometimes I end up wishing I hadn't started a thread. :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:24 pm

Instrumental for my development. Word mine jackpot. Good references...

Decent time killer. :lol:

Otherwise -- this is a US based site.
A lot of US/EU context replies and sources (and resources) are quite exclusive.

Having to be very picky of knowing which info and posts are relevant to my case, my circumstances and the scope of the contexts of the geography and culture I'm born into.

Still, it suits my purpose.
The worst I got is either not following the above, or issues with words.

:lol: Also -- I never went to off the wall games.
Almost never touched L&D because it's practically useless for me, rarely ever go to PPR because of what I had mentioned.
Incidentally, the latter two sections are the most toxic places in this forum. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:07 pm

Have learned things about myself and my Aspie condition much more than before i came here.
Found myself being very appreciative of this site and most ALL of the people whom inhabit this
Wrong Planet. . And its creator. :)

where ever you go ,there you are

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:53 pm

Great responses so far! Thank you all of the stories and sharing.

I am new, and posted prior about feeling grateful for this site, but I'll add it here too.

I agree with many of you. This site has been nice to learn more about my condition and has helped me construct a stronger identity as an aspie. I had no frame of reference until now. I also really appreciate the kindness and support of people here. For the first time ever I feel a sense of belonging. The world was always really confusing for me, but things here make a lot more sense. Speaking with all of you has helped my confidence and self esteem so much. I don't feel gaslit, or dismissed here like I do in other places. It is nice not to have to mask or pretend to be other than I really am.
I do stay away from the political discussions though!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

I guess I have been here at least 10 years...freaking hell. I didn't even know that...I thought maybe like 5-6 years tops, but it says I joined in 2011 so that adds up to 10 years.

And well I guess I have had negative and positive experiences here, but at least enough of an experience to still stick around after so long. But damn...just where did all that time go? 10 years....wow. Seems time feels like it goes faster in adulthood.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:58 pm

Good and bad I've learnt a lot on WP about Autism and its nice to talk to people on here that have similar experiences that I've had.
I prefer to stay away from the political threads.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 8:43 am

It's been good really. I've been here about 10 years as well. Its strange when you see the younger members grow up in to adults. Even though you don't really know who they are in person it's nice to see how they have matured and developed as adults.

For me personally WP has been a place of acceptance. I've not always been well behaved on here and I've had the odd spat over the years but on the whole the members and admin have given me a lovely warm and welcoming virtual home.

Thank you WP

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:21 am

I’ve learned a lot on WP.

There’s been some irritating times…..and, at times, it seems as if the same stuff is discussed—almost like beating a dead horse.

But, all in all, it’s been a nice place to “hang out.”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:22 am

Quote:
Otherwise -- this is a US based site.
A lot of US/EU context replies and sources (and resources) are quite exclusive.

Having to be very picky of knowing which info and posts are relevant to my case, my circumstances and the scope of the contexts of the geography and culture I'm born into.

I agree, there are more Americans here than any other nationalities but I make sure it is clear in my profile info that I live in the UK, because the last thing I want is to be assumed that I'm from America.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:28 am

It’s a US-based site. And most are probably American.

Nevertheless, there’s a decent amount of people from other nations here, too.

I like talking to people from other countries.

The Moderators here happen to be majority non-American. Magz is from Poland. Cornflake is from the UK. Environzentinel is from South Africa.

This was the case in the past, too.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

Overall, it has been a positive experience for me.

Posts can sometimes be challenging, confusing, creative or funny - but they are invariably interesting. They can often spark a thought in my head that leads me elsewhere to do some more research.

I must learn something new every week because of what I read on here.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

Overall, my experience with WP has been a positive one. Even when people are pushing their own esoteric woo-woo philosophical, political, or religious beliefs, I still learn a lot.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:01 am

You're all so very articulate. I only wish people irl were so articulate. I guess i have to find better circles.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

I enjoy this place, though I can't say I've been very active here. Spent too much time on other girly forums. :D

I joined this forum for my children, before my own diagnosis. Feel a bit like an outcast sometimes because I'm extroverted and chatty. With age and experience I can handle social situations OK most of the time. Of course it still stress me out inside and I need a lot of alone time everyday to relax. I know my limits and triggers and can usually manage life's demands. (like going shopping in the last hour instead of during busy time) I feel like the pandemic is a golden age for aspies. Masks everywhere, social distancing, no parties or obligation to hold parties, no small talks, online ordering of everything. Everyone should be happier now, right? Unless you're looking for a date I suppose. :)