Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 6:19 pm

What do you say when people ask, "Do you work?"

Personally, I've become sick and tired of hearing that question at my age (I'm a 52 yr. old housewife, mother, and grandmother).

I actually now answer, "Yes, why? Do I look broken?." :lol:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 6:35 pm

I wish I had the excuse of being a housewife and someone to support the home. I'm often fired and having no income and seen as an unstable person in social circles.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 6:57 pm

Greentea wrote:
I wish I had the excuse of being a housewife and someone to support the home. I'm often fired and having no income and seen as an unstable person in social circles.

I was often fired and having no income and seen as an unstable person in social circles before I got married and had children. I can't get fired anymore because now I can't get hired (too old). I'll always be seen as an unstable person in social circles. Somehow I don't feel like there is respect for women who are ONLY a housewife and mother.

Last edited by faithfilly on 26 Jul 2007, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:05 pm

I have been looking for work and can`t find any. So people didn`t think i`m suited
for working because they think i`m too skinny and seem like i have Autism. [ The
loud voice gives them a idea.]

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 7:21 pm

Gamefreak, do people actually discriminate against you because you are skinny? :? I'm skinny, but I never heard that skinny people can't work.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:34 pm

gamefreak wrote:
I have been looking for work and can`t find any. So people didn`t think i`m suited
for working because they think i`m too skinny and seem like i have Autism. [ The
loud voice gives them a idea.]

GEE, I WISH I was still skinny! Some ask me to lose weight! As for the voice, how does that indicate you have autism? As for the loud voice, can you try to watch the volume?

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 8:44 pm

I haven't been able to hold a job in over 5 years now. They either fire me due to too much miscommunication, or they just don't tend to like me from the start. One of the most common series of questions I've been asked on second interviews has to do with stealing. I guess the lack of eye contact makes them think I look fishy when answering these questions :roll: I also have a big problem with not clearly answering questions if I am not sure why I am being asked them. They ask about hobbies and such and I really have no clue what it has to do with me working, or why my past marching band experience from high school would have to do anything... so when I am asked, I stutter all over the place and look at the ceiling while trying to answer precisely with no real indication of what exactly they are asking for.

I'm my own guinea pig.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 9:38 pm

I am boyfriend-employed...he is chronicly self-employed and I started out as firstly an acquaintance and then I was hired to work for his small business (before we were dating)
Before that, I was chronicly under-employed...I juggled several part time jobs...doing work that usually people much younger than me are hired for...often times working under the table for friends and family.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 9:52 pm

I haven't worked a day; every second of everyday feels like work to me....

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:29 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Greentea wrote:

I was often fired and having no income and seen as an unstable person in social circles before I got married and had children. I can't get fired anymore because now I can't get hired (too old). I'll always be seen as an unstable person in social circles. Somehow I don't feel like there is respect for women who are ONLY a housewife and mother.

don't kid yourself, there is hardly any respect for women who DO have a job out side the home, either!

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:26 pm

People have called us lazy for not getting jobs or being able to keep them. They're the lazy ones if you ask me!

I've never been hired to a real full time job, nor have I been well liked at the jobs I've had. The closet thing I had to a full-time job was at manpower, and they fired me. The best I've managed since high school have been several one-off, one or two day a week part time jobs that I've all had to balance and all payed crap.

Been trying to find a full time job now that I have a college degree. Interviewing is a b***h. Sending out resumes and follow-up phones calls are no problem. They want me to describe my philosophy towards something that is an art form and purely subjective in nature. Not to mention when I talk I stare off into space instead of making eye contact. It's the only way I can talk about these things because I need to visualize what I want to say and eye contact in these situations is so unnerving for me that it spoils my train of thought.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Jul 2007, 11:31 pm

I usually only go out like 2-4 AM in the mourning. About the only people I see while walking my dogs is the occasional hooker who is walking between jobs. So no one ever ask me anything.

bc1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2007, 11:33 pm

i suffer from a catch-22... no one wants to hire me because of my lack of experiance, so the amount of time in between jobs increases, making each job harder to find then the last.

i must have turned in 20 job applications this summer, to all the usual minimum-wage hellholes... i talk to the manager, they say they'll look at my app and call me, and when they don't, i drop by or call back and they say they aren't interested.

meanwhile, it looks like i'll be taking a whole year off of school instead of just a semester because i couldn't get a damn job to pay for it.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:35 pm

I should also mention I have a friend whom I strongly suspect is has aspergers. He's been fired from every job he's worked at the past fifteen years. We're talking four or five jobs a year. He gets overload and then he ends up faltering at what ever it is he's doing. Or he calls in because he's so beat down from the day before he hasn't recovered by the next day.

I find the rat race in the country demeaning to every aspect of humanity. We need to start our own aspergia stat!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:48 pm

I have, however managed to hold a few long-term jobs.
I worked in an office for a couple of years, and one of the first things my manager told me was that I was hired because my dad and boyfriend worked for the company...and that was also the reason I was able to keep the job.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:52 pm

I am currently in a job. It's about time, since the last really good job I had was 11 years ago.
the best part of this job is that I learned I had AS AFTER I got the job. I have been able to fake my way, now that I understand I live in NT ville and after a lifetime of living there, I don't try to find 'others like me' or force my way of thinking on every thing that happens.
So, I greet people with a grimacy smile, friendly wave and a sincere "how are you?" They love it! No one slows me down by actually TELLING me, but they too ask me "how are you" and I don't miss a beat, I don't tell them either, but communicate some positive response and keep on truckin'.

My day is filled with actually taking 15 to 30 seconds out to 'relate' to my co workers. They seem to love it so!