As an aspie, how does your intelligence compare with others?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2021, 3:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jakki wrote:
. And not successfully attempt this, And have discovered through Mental health pros. and you will be branded a faker. Have actually spoke to some professionals that still branded them as fakers even after the patients death.
This is my personal perceptions of what mental health industry has been up to . All in the name of promoting a industry and a image of compassion. These experiences may not apply to the multimillionaire class of Mental health industry , for which i have no experience .

The mental health system is designed to reprogram or manage people who's behaviour makes them a risk to themselves or other people. Their brief is "rehabilitation" but effectively it's about removing non-conforming individuals from society and pumping them full of drugs.

They are not set up to improve intelligence.

Agreed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 3:57 am

Technic1 wrote:
-
And are we only smart at our interests?

It is the last part I worry about....for sure.

Like do I just feel smart because I know more about some topics than other people, or because I am actually smart. Just not sure the two go hand in hand..Like I could know everything about bugs and insects and arachnids but that wont help me socially necessarily.

Who cares if you can tell a bug fact...if you can't even say hello or at least appear open to interaction?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 10:48 am

Technic1 wrote:
-
And are we only smart at our interests?

Not an aspie, but I am very intelligent and can master anythjing i choose no matter ohw many reasons i should be bad at it. I became the best in the world at something that my autism made me bad at. My mental health also makes my mind dumbed down so i cna't think clearly now though. I was also pretty academically gifted. Honestly though. I would've been better off if i weren't. My extreme ability to overcome adversity has done nothing but f**k me over. and yeah your right. My dad probably is very intelligent but he's juts an ordinary disabled person. I think one big thing is that suffering intensifies things people hwo suffer greatly oftne become more intelligent as result adn i think alot of intelligent people are to f**ked over by there suffering to make use of that. Like me i'm totally f**ked in the head from the amount of suffering my life put me through. I think also being intelligent is a curse more than a blessing. But honestly I don't have a positive viewpoint on it because my life would've been better of without it. Without my personal strength willpower or intelligence :)

Last edited by Pieplup on 13 Nov 2021, 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 10:50 am

Being an aspie in itself forces you to be more intelligent you have to figure out how to get past problems presented to you by the condition and that helps build your intelligence.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 11:58 am

Neural Pruning: the lack of : one might consider this to be a great advantage in referencing information from recollection of past experiences . So if in any given decision might have the advantages of having more info to draw on based on this lack of neural pruning , conversely
all the attached emotions and issues that were triggered during the formation of these memories
are also a issue that could effect decision making ability , however subtle, those memories were at the time of formation. IMHO. Hopefully the more positive memories would standout ...

where ever you go ,there you are

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 12:10 pm

I'll show you my intelligence if you'll show me your intelligence

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 12:39 pm

theprisoner wrote:
I'll show you my intelligence if you'll show me your intelligence

in public ,,,,,? OMG......... :oops: ..... :mrgreen:

NyborE6
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2021, 3:30 am

I don't really consider myself smart in comparison. Just average. However, I do consider myself to be more mindful of things (e.g. gathering all relevant omgormatik information and analyzing it ahead of time, thinking and weighing options before deciding on something, etc.)

Animal lover. Vegan. Self-diagnosed. Loves cake.
AQ: 40 || Aspie Score: 115/200 | NT Score: 77/200

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 11:29 am

Having a high I.Q. is nice, but I would rather care about what one can do with it than what the score is. It is much like owning a fancy sports car. You can brag all you want to others (with it sitting safe in your garage) or you can drive it like it is intended to be done. I would rather use it to create and/or do something that no one has done yet. It is what drives my creativity to new levels.

Sometimes it can be a curse to be too gifted. I had a very lonely childhood overall and was often bullied because I was so different from my peers. Very few could understand me at my level on one subject, let alone all of them that I was good at. I was not allowed to compete in my school’s science fairs, as I had an unfair advantage. I learned how to hide my skills from others at that point in time.

At the university I work at, i often deal with self-proclaimed “geniuses” who claim that they cannot do publishable research without spending at least $50,000+ worth of grant money. I have been looked down upon by them since I joined the department. They are completely mentally lazy and very spoiled from my point of view. I do not think that way. During the COVID lockdown last year, I developed and completed a research project for a new material that only cost about $20 worth of supplies in total. I have since improved the process down to less than $2 per experimental run. It can be done by nearly anyone who has the time and knowledge. The research is currently in the writing stages for publication with my collaborator. I did this so that I could prove those people wrong on so many levels. Once this is published (along with a connecting project), I plan on leaving to another job. It is kinda my professional middle finger to them.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 11:32 am

Pieplup wrote:
Being an aspie in itself forces you to be more intelligent you have to figure out how to get past problems presented to you by the condition and that helps build your intelligence.

Interesting comment. A problem solving loop.

I'm definitely more analytical than other people.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 1:08 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Having a high I.Q. is nice, but I would rather care about what one can do with it than what the score is. It is much like owning a fancy sports car. You can brag all you want to others (with it sitting safe in your garage) or you can drive it like it is intended to be done. I would rather use it to create and/or do something that no one has done yet. It is what drives my creativity to new levels.

Sometimes it can be a curse to be too gifted. I had a very lonely childhood overall and was often bullied because I was so different from my peers. Very few could understand me at my level on one subject, let alone all of them that I was good at. I was not allowed to compete in my school’s science fairs, as I had an unfair advantage. I learned how to hide my skills from others at that point in time.

At the university I work at, i often deal with self-proclaimed “geniuses” who claim that they cannot do publishable research without spending at least $50,000+ worth of grant money. I have been looked down upon by them since I joined the department. They are completely mentally lazy and very spoiled from my point of view. I do not think that way. During the COVID lockdown last year, I developed and completed a research project for a new material that only cost about $20 worth of supplies in total. I have since improved the process down to less than $2 per experimental run. It can be done by nearly anyone who has the time and knowledge. The research is currently in the writing stages for publication with my collaborator. I did this so that I could prove those people wrong on so many levels. Once this is published (along with a connecting project), I plan on leaving to another job. It is kinda my professional middle finger to them.

:) :) :D :) :)