Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 10:17 pm

She’s 20.. people don’t move out till their 30. I doubt her parents did.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2021, 12:03 am

MaxE wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
My relatives want me to live in a group home one day. I'm not sure what a group home would be like.

I'm probably not gonna be fully independent. I cant work currently. I have psychotic episodes. I need help with my prescriptions and being reminded to take them. I'm not very good at managing money. I get overwhelmed with the idea of having to shop for groceries.

My parents want me to live somewhere where I can get the support I need. They don't believe I could live by myself ever. They would prefer somewhere with around the clock care. I think I could be semi independent though.

The right group home might be a good place for you. Do you trust your family to help you with that?

Yes, I trust them to help with that.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 7:55 am

there are so many living situations... sheltered care, small groups with a leader who helps manage the household, room mates with a room mother or foster adult care. Nursing homes, etc etc... If you find a few are near you, see if you can visit, just to get a feeling for what that situation is like. The more you explore, the better you will feel about your alternatives and the arrangements that are possible in different places. It will be easier to make decisions if you can get information about the situations on offer. Take parents or caring friends with you and take notes (record into a phone) anything you observe that might be really good, really bad, needs more explanation, etc. There are some really nice adult living assisted care homes going up in my community (NE lower MIchigan) right now. Government help is possible too, if you are on disability. Your own small apartment and a food court/ small kitchen/ areas where people can meet like a huge living room or social area. some have libraries, exercise rooms, media rooms.... So much depends on where you live and if you are willing to relocate to places that might be far from home but that offer better support for your struggles while allowing you to be as independent as possible. Cheering you on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson