Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2021, 4:34 pm

My relatives want me to live in a group home one day. I'm not sure what a group home would be like.

I'm probably not gonna be fully independent. I cant work currently. I have psychotic episodes. I need help with my prescriptions and being reminded to take them. I'm not very good at managing money. I get overwhelmed with the idea of having to shop for groceries.

My parents want me to live somewhere where I can get the support I need. They don't believe I could live by myself ever. They would prefer somewhere with around the clock care. I think I could be semi independent though.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

I would suggest slow progressive desensitization to overcome your social anxiety. Unless you have serious physical obstacles to deal with. What people believe should not restrict you.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2021, 4:43 pm

theprisoner wrote:
I would suggest slow progressive desensitization to overcome your social anxiety. Unless you have serious physical obstacles to deal with. What people believe should not restrict you.

Ok. I'm not sure what that is. I try not to let people restrict me but it's hard sometimes. I feel like I dont have a lot of autonomy.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Exposure is the way to overcome any fear. This means you gradually expose yourself to what you fear over and over again until you no longer fear it. In psychology this is called progressive desensitization. You progressively desensitize yourself to what you are afraid of.

It works. But you have to take it slow.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2021, 5:25 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Quote:
Exposure is the way to overcome any fear. This means you gradually expose yourself to what you fear over and over again until you no longer fear it. In psychology this is called progressive desensitization. You progressively desensitize yourself to what you are afraid of.

It works. But you have to take it slow.

Ok. How do I start doing it?.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 5:33 pm

Well it helps if you have a friend, even a parent,somebody you can hang out with, less pressure on you. But you slowly put yourself in new situations, ones you think you can handle without too much stress. eventually you will become habituated with enough repetition. Its like lifting weights, you can go try lift a heavy weight and cause a muscle tear/spasm, or you can try lighter weights first and progressive overload. plus any kind of supplements that lower social anxiety might be of assistance, look into adaptogens, nootropics.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:29 am

They want to put you in an asylum and institution like a nursing home to control you ? Why? What’s your iq?job? Career?education? Do you have a healthy relationship with your family? How old are you? A lot of those places are abusive. You may be easy prey for some disturbed freaks.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:31 am

Why don’t you sound very sure of yourself? Do you have limitations? Not many people are good at budgeting lol didn’t trump go bankrupt how many time’s and then he was president? What are you spending all your money on? Addiction? Or do you not have much money to begin with so it barely covers much?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:32 am

What happens in your psychotic episodes? And just write a list or get food delivered? Fruit, vegetables and carbs. Simple. Forget your family get a life coach who isn’t a sadist.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:35 am

I have been taking birth control since I was 13. I have been on pills too and I use alarm to take my pep (hiv) pills. If you’re on antipsychotics then just get an alarm on your phone or ask if you can get them in depot shot? But probably harder to alerter the dose. No one has died from mental illness alone. More people have died from medications and injury or accidents. People in the wold survived without depot shots. Sure men would prefer women to be sedated to tame them cause they can’t physically dominate them into sex.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:37 am

I have been taking birth control since I was 13. I have been on pills too and I use alarm to take my pep (hiv) pills. If you’re on antipsychotics then just get an alarm on your phone or ask if you can get them in depot shot? But probably harder to alerter the dose. No one has died from mental illness alone. More people have died from medications and injury or accidents. People in the wild survived without depot shots. Sure men would prefer women to be sedated to tame them cause they can’t physically dominate them into sex. Antipsychotics have been around since 50s? People didn’t die from these diseases before then they seem to have survived for 1500 years without them. Are you a serious danger to yourself if you’re not slowed down? I think you’re more of a danger to yourself if you are? Ask a truck driver if he would be better off slowed down and sedated.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:39 am

Wtf you have an iq of 130? Why the hell would you ever need to be in a group home? Wtf. You have a really high iq! Go you! And you’re 6”1! Wow. Your family must be envious! I am.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2021, 5:38 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
They want to put you in an asylum and institution like a nursing home to control you ? Why? What’s your iq?job? Career?education? Do you have a healthy relationship with your family? How old are you? A lot of those places are abusive. You may be easy prey for some disturbed freaks.

Yeah. I'm not sure. I'm not very good at taking care of myself. I'm not sure what my IQ is. I have no job. Just high school. My relationship with my family is healthy enough. I'm 20.

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2021, 5:39 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Why don’t you sound very sure of yourself? Do you have limitations? Not many people are good at budgeting lol didn’t trump go bankrupt how many time’s and then he was president? What are you spending all your money on? Addiction? Or do you not have much money to begin with so it barely covers much?

I'm not very confident. I have a hard time with money. I dont have much money.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 8:32 pm

Doing better than me! I haven’t finished high school. What grades did you get? Go to some career counsellor or ask for help from your old school they should be able to refer you to someone who can help you. There’s help available especially as you’re so young. If I were you I’d get in and work in fast food because the older you get the harder it is to get part time work and once you get that you at least have some experience and maybe save some money to get skilled up and get another job or just go to waitressing you don’t need to do a course. It’s good money.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 9:12 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
My relatives want me to live in a group home one day. I'm not sure what a group home would be like.

I'm probably not gonna be fully independent. I cant work currently. I have psychotic episodes. I need help with my prescriptions and being reminded to take them. I'm not very good at managing money. I get overwhelmed with the idea of having to shop for groceries.

My parents want me to live somewhere where I can get the support I need. They don't believe I could live by myself ever. They would prefer somewhere with around the clock care. I think I could be semi independent though.

The right group home might be a good place for you. Do you trust your family to help you with that?